DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Enterprise 10/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/151383-enterprise-10-17-a.html)

mikehunt 10-17-01 07:04 PM

Enterprise 10/17

Spoiler:

short intro, but funny

romulans? based on cloaking device, and no visual communication
nope it's not, didn't really think it would be but it was possible

mikehunt 10-17-01 07:25 PM

Spoiler:

sweet, aliens have a holodeck

cartman 10-17-01 07:38 PM

"One of the first things a diplomat learns is not to stick his fingers where they don't belong."

:lol:

caipirina 10-17-01 07:44 PM

cool intro ... water based showers ..

but we already have replicators ???

and the beginning reminded me a lot of the first season of DS9 (nothing works) ..

anyways .. i cannot believe HOW MUCH they have spoiled the show in last week's teaser already ... well .. keep on watching ...

mikehunt 10-17-01 07:45 PM

Spoiler:

whoa, getting interesting now
a D7 style klingon battle cruiser

mikehunt 10-17-01 07:52 PM

I don't think it was a replicator, but an automated version of a pop fountain at a fast food place

Originally posted by caipirina
cool intro ... water based showers ..

but we already have replicators ???

and the beginning reminded me a lot of the first season of DS9 (nothing works) ..

anyways .. i cannot believe HOW MUCH they have spoiled the show in last week's teaser already ... well .. keep on watching ...

caipirina 10-17-01 08:35 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
I don't think it was a replicator, but an automated version of a pop fountain at a fast food place

yeah, you are right, could be ... but at least voice activated :) .. i think this is what made me think of replicator :)

well .. overall .. yeah .. i liked the episode .. but i cannot say really why .. . it had a lot of techno babble in the beginning .... i like howe T'pol sits in the captains chair :)

it was a really nice to watch episode ... curious whats coming next ...

mikehunt 10-17-01 08:56 PM

well according to canon
Spoiler:

first contact with the klingons led to war, so I have a feeling we'll be seeing klingons firing torpedoes every few weeks

spainlinx0 10-18-01 01:13 AM

Meet her holograph parents hee hee hee

dgmayor 10-18-01 07:18 AM

"Hey, I can see my house from here!"

das Monkey 10-18-01 09:17 AM

Anyone care to explain to me why this race, masters of cloaking technology and holodecks, needed Gomer Pyle's help with their engines?

das

marty888 10-18-01 09:47 AM

Originally posted by caipirina
i cannot believe HOW MUCH they have spoiled the show in last week's teaser already ... well .. keep on watching ...

My thoughts exactly.... so I now switch channels when the episode ends and won't watch the teaser.

Duran 10-18-01 09:49 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Anyone care to explain to me why this race, masters of cloaking technology and holodecks, needed Gomer Pyle's help with their engines?

das

Was thinking the exact same thing, which is why I spent the great majority of the episode thinking
Spoiler:
that their engine problems were on purpose just so they could encounter other species and "mate".

caipirina 10-18-01 10:09 AM

interesting thought Duran :)

well .. my main thought last night was

"If I was Jonathan Archer, helping an alien vessel not only once, but twice, having no problem having them share their holodeck technology with the Klingons .... and everyone seems to be quite fascinated by it. Wouldn't I ask for that same technology ??? "

hmmm ...

oh .. and it is ok to show nipple and call it nipple on TV as long as it is anatomically at the wrong spot ??? yeah yeah !

enterprise - the nipple show

time to see T'pol's again :)

MrN 10-18-01 10:12 AM

'..put those nipples to use.' :D

Funniest episode so far - I enjoyed it.

Red Dog 10-18-01 11:07 AM

I thought the episode was great. I was kind of disappointed in seeing a holodeck though. You would figure that since they are friends, that the Feds would have holodeck technology a lot sooner than the TNG timeframe. It looks like Klingon Battle Cruiser design remained the same for over 100 years.

I also like the way T'Pol sits in the cap'ns chair. :D

Wizdar 10-18-01 11:30 AM

Originally posted by marty888
My thoughts exactly.... so I now switch channels when the episode ends and won't watch the teaser.
So, just what do you do about the gazillions of teasers in between episodes. Last week, SU2 was filled with them. To borrow an old phrase, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a spoiler.

pagansoul 10-18-01 11:37 AM

WIZDAR, Is this from 'ANGEL' ?

Wesley: “I suppose it’s one of the unwritten laws of being a dick. …Ah, um, a sleuth, a gumshoe, Sherlock.

Gunn: “All I know is, you use the word “dick” again and we gonna have a problem.”

Wizdar 10-18-01 11:43 AM

Originally posted by pagansoul
WIZDAR, Is this from 'ANGEL' ?
You betcha! ONLY because YOU, dear friend, have my favorite quote of all time as YOUR sig.

[heavy sigh]

renaldow 10-18-01 12:23 PM

I thought it was an entertaining episode, but there's one thing that was really stupid.

'Here's some gelatinous cubes, it's the closest we could get to your water.' Then later on he's on a boat in the holodeck floating on water. I thought perhaps it would be some other fluid, but when he's back on the Enterprise describing it it's water and he says he could even smell the salt air.

Slumbering Fist 10-18-01 12:38 PM

Hooray for the awfulness of my local UPN affiliate!!! Tuned in last night, and after about five seconds it froze, and then the screen went blank, before evetually saying 'LOSS OF SIGNAL' and such. It remained that way for a good five minutes, so I popped
in a movie, and will have to catch the weekend syndication rerun.

Zien 10-18-01 02:21 PM

Good Dog. Happy Captain. Nice show.

grunter 10-18-01 02:24 PM

Why is it the Klingons spoke English? According to the earlier episodes, the universal translator isn't exactly "universal" quite yet. (That's why we have Hoshi). But we have Klingons that actually speak Earth-tongue. What's up with that?

Selective use of continuity is a frustrating thing.

Oh and the new "Enterprise" cliche is getting a little annoying. I'm referring of course to the way the characters always make a note of precisely how many weeks they've been on their journey. If B&B were going to dive into this continuity thing, then they should just go balls-out. But unfortunately, I think the best we'll get is the occasional dialogue footnote about what happened with "species X" such-and-such weeks back.

*sigh*

Jason 10-18-01 02:43 PM

I gotta say I was extremely disappointed to see a holodeck, even if it was on an alien craft.

And the crew's reaction was priceless. Yeah, just imagine what we could do with that (wink wink nudge nudge say no more say no more). Well, we've already seen what they do with it. Act out stuffy victorian ******** and bad gumshoe novels.

I always thought the holodeck was a cheap plot element and any story involving getting trapped on it or hoho characters coming to life was utterly pointless. I swear, if they build their own holodeck, I'm going to stop watching.

Red Dog 10-18-01 02:46 PM

Originally posted by Jason
I gotta say I was extremely disappointed to see a holodeck, even if it was on an alien craft.

And the crew's reaction was priceless. Yeah, just imagine what we could do with that (wink wink nudge nudge say no more say no more). Well, we've already seen what they do with it. Act out stuffy victorian ******** and bad gumshoe novels.

I always thought the holodeck was a cheap plot element and any story involving getting trapped on it or hoho characters coming to life was utterly pointless. I swear, if they build their own holodeck, I'm going to stop watching.

I agree (especially about the wink-wink part). Although, I did like Tucker's reaction when he said that he wouldn't even bother going on shoreleave if they had one.