DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Smallville 10/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/151116-smallville-10-16-a.html)

joe liquor 10-16-01 09:26 PM

Smallville 10/16

So what did everyone think?

I actually found it fairly enjoyable and think it has definite potential. Granted there are some moments of terrible acting, but other than that I think the basic story is a good one. I think I will watch this few more times to see what they can do.

Of course I would be fan for life if the town cop turned out to be Roscoe P. Coletrain! Or maybe Clark's first car could be an old Dodge Charger...just some suggestions. :D

Geofferson 10-16-01 09:28 PM

Re: Smallville 10/16

Originally posted by jpalm

Of course I would be fan for life if the town cop turned out to be Roscoe P. Coletrain! Or maybe Clark's first car could be an old Dodge Charger...just some suggestions. :D

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing when I was watching. Roscoe didn't come to mind, but the Charger did. It would have been cool if Clark's dad (Bo Duke) gave him a ride to school in it or something. :D

dvd-4-life 10-16-01 09:41 PM

Re-run first episode of Smallville

Does anyone know if the first episode will be re-run this week.I noticed that TNT ran the re-run of the opening show of Charmed.

Draven 10-16-01 10:27 PM

I liked it.

Good effects (and not just "for tv"...they were really good.) And I liked the Lex/Clark dynamic that already started. And the way they didn't "cop out" by Lana really being there after the dance.

It'll be interesting to stick with it.

GoldenJCJ 10-16-01 10:36 PM

I liked it for the most part, most of the action scenes were great
Spoiler:
the part where Clark was hit by Lex's car was done really well
but some parts had a tendancy to fall into the typical WB teen drama type show.

But nonetheless, it has definate potential and I'll probably keep watching.

khieng 10-17-01 12:07 AM

I enjoyed it for the most part. The scene where
Spoiler:
the meteorite hit Lana's parents while they were smiling
was pretty bad though.

MrN 10-17-01 12:25 AM

Unlike certain other premieres, this one deserved to be 2 hours long. They packed a lot in for an hour - giving us the origin and the all the cast...

At the same time, it seemed like they put in too much to reveal to everyone that Clark has powers. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the Porche's roof wouldn't peel back in a head-on collision.

Overall, I liked it. Sets up for an interesting season - I'm hoping the love triangle isn't dragged out like on every other WB show. So, I wonder if Luthor is going to be in every episode? Didn't quite catch the name of the reporter girl - I'll bet its an 'L' name though.

Well, looks like I'll be watching this for a couple of weeks at least...

Kal-El 10-17-01 12:41 AM

I was doubting this show before it aired but I found myself liking it more than I expected. I'm probably sticking for the whole season.

RolloTomasi 10-17-01 12:52 AM

For the most part, the show was pretty good. Not great, but it might get there. I agree that this show definitely needed to premiere with a 2-hour episode; only Clark, Lana, and Luthor got any noticable exposition. The reporter girl (Chloe's her name, I think) and the black guy seemed almost tacked on - perhaps we'll see more of them next episode, but the previews don't really allude to it. I can almost feel a "buffy the Vampire Slayer" vibe on the horizon, but it hasn't coalesced yet - the show is more like Roswell (which I dislike) than Buffy. The only reason I'll continue to watch is that there isn't anything else worth watching at that time, but who knows? It might grow on me.

Eplicon 10-17-01 01:09 AM

I thought it was pretty good myself. I was a little skeptical about having the show "modernized," but so far it actually works quite well.

I liked the slightly more serious tone of the show and found the origin of Lex Luthor losing his hair to be an interesting twist as it gives insight to a part of the conflict that he would have with Superman later in life.

hahn 10-17-01 01:53 AM

i liked it!! i liked it a LOT! i liked the darker feel and introspection. also the fact that the show's focus was more on his feelings of alienation and growing pains than his superpowers. it REALLY alters the feel of the superman story, and in a good way i think.

anyone else catch the foreshadowing of the red "S" being spray painted on Clark? i almost missed it and didn't think about it until the end of the show.

well done!! let's hope they can keep it interesting...
as for the buffy comment, i hope they don't get as tongue in cheek as buffy. i want them to keep the serious tone. it works well.

ClarkKentKY 10-17-01 02:05 AM

Wow, great comments. My WB is Ass here in town, so i dont' get to see it till friday, but it sounds very promising.

And as for the boffy comment i certianly hope they dont' go that route. I've only watched one episode of buffy and that was the season priemere this year.. and it was crap. Buffy-bot? What the heck? gimmie the old luke perry version any day.

matrixrok9 10-17-01 02:17 AM

SPOILERS

I thought the show was really good. The director did a good job with the symbols...Kent standing behind the angel statue, the S sign as someone mentioned. The romantic relationship was good and i loved how he dreamed that he was dancing with the girl. He says something to her when he sees her by the porch and she felt something that was really cool. From seeing the preview for next week's show it looks like it will be all action. I hope I'm wrong because the romance is far more interesting than the action.

dknight04 10-17-01 07:58 AM

I dont have much interest on teen dramas but I admit that I liked this show. The pilot could have been a bit longer (2 hours). I enjoyed the dream sequence of Clark playing football and he getting revenge on those bullies. This show could very well replace Buffy but its to soon to tell. At least by its pilot, it shows promise.

Patman 10-17-01 08:26 AM

Anyone watch the premiere of Smallville last night?

I thought it was okay, a little sparse on "good" dialogue, but the little "daydream" pieces showed how human Clark really wants to be, but is saddled with who is really is.

I'm not quite sure how interesting they'll be able tomake the weekly series, but I wish them the best.

Tom Welling is a good choice for Clark Kent in his teen years. Physically he looks the part, and has the lowkey approach down at this point of the show. I really wished they would have casted Lana Lang with red hair (that's her friggin' visual signature!), but the actress playing Lana is extremely cute. Having Lex become bald due to Clark's arrival was a strange way to keep the "Superboy caused Lex's hair to fall out" origin story, but without causing Lex to make Supes his mortal enemy from that point on.

I didn't find that John Schneider has the "gravitas" to be imparting those "good, strong, moral values" onto Clark. What a strange, but decent, casting choice, Annette O'Toole as Martha Kent as she got to play Lana Lang in Superman III over a decade ago.

I have to wonder if Clark is smart enough to put 2 and 2 together w/r/t the piece of krytonite that was hanging around Lana's neck which caused his to trip over himself and be subjected to weakness when he was around Lana (the constant betting between the boy and girl classmates was cute). Especially if Lex shows up with it, and he gets weak again.

I had a flashback to "Fargo" when Clark stuck his hand in the wood chipper in front of his father.

It's obvious that Clark knows that he's stronger/faster than normal people, and nigh invulnerable at this point in time. One of these days, he'll figure out he can also fly.

Here's hoping for good stories (I get the feeling the mutations caused by the arrival of Clark and the meteors will be the springboard to a bit of X-Files-like shows).

das Monkey 10-17-01 08:32 AM

SPOILERS

I enjoyed it enough, but it's too WBish for me right now. Lana is too exotic for the real Superman storyline, and I don't like the idea of them planting this "cheating on her big bad high school jock boyfriend" idea so early. I'm not going to find it easy to like her if she has no integrity. Why's she dating this guy if he's such a jerkoff? And if she's so wonderful, she better not hook up with Kent before breaking it off with the jock.

Luthor was perfect.

Too many Superman references. Lana asking if he was "man or superman" ... the red 'S' for scarecrow ... the red "capes" (blankets) that they're wrapped in after the crash ... the angel statue. Just too much. They should throw us a bone every once in a while, but you can't have too much foreshadowing or it just gets silly.

I'll watch it for a while, but it just felt like I was watching Roswell. If it goes the Buffy route to intelligent drama that takes place among teenagers, I'll keep watching. If it goes the Roswell/Dawson's Creek route of simple 'teen drama/romance', I'll bail.

das

P.S. Not to thread crap, but judging the merits of a 5+ season show by simply watching an out-of-context 6th season premiere is absurd. If you don't want to watch a show, don't watch it, but you're not qualified to speak ill of something you know nothing about.

Red Dog 10-17-01 09:36 AM

I really liked it. Lana is a total babe as well.

joe liquor 10-17-01 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Patman
I didn't find that John Schneider has the "gravitas" to be imparting those "good, strong, moral values" onto Clark.
I agree. I must admit I was quite surprised when I saw one of the "Duke" brothers as Clark's dad. Everytime he tried to give Clark some words of wisdom and Clark blew him off all I could think of is Bo Duke blowing off Uncle Jesse's advice. Hopefully he will get better over the course of the season (maybe he is a little rusty :D ).

Of course, I was more surprised to see Mark Hamill on Hercules or something when I was channel surfing this weekend.

Back to the topic...If they dare suit this kid up in some ridiculous tight and cape outfit down the road, I will be done with the show.

thejammy 10-17-01 10:40 AM

Spoiler:
spoiler

Geez people please learn how to use them. It is not that hard.

Overall I like the show. I thought it was well done. I am looking forward to the further shows they have on. Is this the permant date?

Kal-El 10-17-01 10:50 AM

Originally posted by jpalm

Back to the topic...If they dare suit this kid up in some ridiculous tight and cape outfit down the road, I will be done with the show.

I'm sorry, but why would it be ridiculous? The guy's gonna be Superman for crying out loud! What would you have them put him in? Black leather? A trenchcoat and shades perhaps?

Your statement might hold truer than you think though. Because the creators have said that the only time he'll wear the suit will be at the last scene in the series finale--which I hope is still a ways off.

joe liquor 10-17-01 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Kal Jedi

I'm sorry, but why would it be ridiculous? The guy's gonna be Superman for crying out loud! What would you have them put him in? Black leather? A trenchcoat and shades perhaps?

Your statement might hold truer than you think though. Because the creators have said that the only time he'll wear the suit will be at the last scene in the series finale--which I hope is still a ways off.

I'm not saying that he can't have some sort of costume/disguise, but I would rather see them go the X-Men movie route rather than hold to the traditional comic/original movies look.

tofu 10-17-01 11:02 AM

i liked the show and the scenes showing the accident were awesome.
the scene
Spoiler:
where lex's father finds in the field and all of the corn(?) was folder over almost like in a crop circle was very well done

it's also interesting that they're seeming to make it known already that other superheroes like
Spoiler:
maybe the flash (the kid in the newspaper clipping who is the fastest person)
might exist.

and i agree lana lang is a babe. :D

immortal_zeus 10-17-01 11:35 AM

Wow, I liked the premiere a lot. :thumbsup:

Some of it was cheesy (the meteorite killing Lana's parents, for instance), but overall, I think I'm going to like the show.

Like <b>Kal Jedi</b> said, the producers said that you won't see Supey suit up until the last scene of the last show....they want to make this a show about Clark Kent, not Superman. Also, they've said that they're collaborating with DC Comics (who own the rights to Superman), and that they're hoping to briefly introduce some other DC characters....I know Bruce Wayne was mentioned, for sure....can't remember the other one that was mentioned. I doubt that the other DC characters will play major roles, but I think the producers are thinking that it'll be fun to bring them in once in awhile.

Since I actually like these teenie bopper shows, I'm sure I'll like this one....the casting of Lana Lang helps...she's cute. ;)

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif

das Monkey 10-17-01 12:06 PM

Originally posted by thejammy
Spoiler:
spoiler

Geez people please learn how to use them. It is not that hard.

I could be in the minority here, and I'll certainly change my tune if people think otherwise (especially in light of my previous rant on the subject :)), but if a thread is named "Smallville Premiere [SPOILERS]" or "Smallville 10/16/01" or something, I think it directly implies that there will be spoilers in that thread. It's a little silly to tag everything when the whole purpose of the thread is to discuss the content of the episode that just aired.

das

hahn 10-17-01 03:46 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey

I could be in the minority here, and I'll certainly change my tune if people think otherwise (especially in light of my previous rant on the subject :)), but if a thread is named "Smallville Premiere [SPOILERS]" or "Smallville 10/16/01" or something, I think it directly implies that there will be spoilers in that thread. It's a little silly to tag everything when the whole purpose of the thread is to discuss the content of the episode that just aired.

das

nope, i agree 100%. what were you expecting going into this thread? the show was just on, this thread expects that you saw it...