Reload this Page >

Farscape - Spoilers up to Sci-fi airings

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-16-01, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we don't have a Farscape thread, I figure I'd start one. As a few of you from the B5 thread know, I've been watching the Farscape cycle for the first time, and figured this would give us newbies and a few of you sci-fi buffs a bit of a place for conversation.

Initially, my impressions were "this is almost comical" as I watched the first few episodes, but I have to say over the season (and now into season 2 if I'm not mistaken), this show has really progressed. The addition of a few new characters has made it quite good. I'm now officially 'hooked' on Farscape.

Anyway, I figure I'd start off the conversation with tonight's episode, which I consider to be the best so far ('The way we weren't'). This was the history of Pilot and Aeryn and how they had both been aboard Moya in the beginning when the Peacekeepers killed the first Pilot and grafted the current one in place. Wow...awesome episode. I particularly like Pilot, I think he's one of the most interesting sci-fi characters I've ever seen, and to have an episode really about him, was well...great.

Do any of you own the Farscape DVD's yet? I'm considering getting some, if not all. (Although I already spend too much on DVD's I don't watch as is). The 2-part season finale (I think it was, anyway), where the peacekeeper tech dies was also another favorite episode, as was the one with the Zelbinnien (probably didn't spell that right), the Peacekeeper mega-ship. I was so disheartened when they killed that tech off. She was very cute.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what others think now that I'm addicted. Has the series continued to be as good? Do I have lots to look forward to?
Old 10-16-01, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, you have lots to look forward to. I remember when I first started watching ... I told people, "This is the 'coolest' show I've ever seen, but as a Sci-Fi show, it's just average." Over time, though, that tune changed as the show really attacked some interesting Science Fiction concepts.

It's tough to catch these 8pm airings with all the great new shows this season, but it's nice when I get to watch one again. I haven't bought the DVDs either, but I probably will. I was waiting for some kind of box set like Region 2 got, but I don't see that happening now.

It's hard to pick a favorite episode, but of the ones that Sci-Fi's aired recently, I really liked 'A Human Reaction'. Most of my favorites, though, have yet to come. Can't wait till January when they finish airing Season 3.

das
Old 10-16-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, in order to watch the 8pm showings of Farscape and not miss the other prime-time goodies, I bought a second ReplayTV. I call it my "Sci-fi" box, cause it's set to record Farscape and Enterprise (which comes on against "Ed" another favorite of mine).

I'm eager to see where they take the series, though I must admit I'm a bit worried cause I caught part of one of the Friday episodes talking about the death of a certain character that I really like. I'm hoping it wasn't really the case.
Old 10-16-01, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I am definitely addicted to this show, it's probably my favorite show on T.V. however I only got into the show through the DVDs. It's pretty annoying, I have to wait over a month just to watch the next 2 episodes. I'm never home when the show is on & the times I tried watching it I was lost, there were characters I haven'e even seen yet & I don't want anything to be ruined for me. As far as buying the DVDs I love them & highly recommend them. If you really love the show. as valkyrie does then at the very least the first 3 DVDs are must haves as they have excellent commentaries, on the first 6 episodes, Ben Brower is very funny & the commentaries w/ him & Claudia Black are great, you can tell they really get along & have fun which is always a plus on a commentary. They also have behind the scenes footage. The downside is after the 3rd disc there are no more extras. I still think they are worth picking up & I acutally just got disc 7 today.

My questions are with getting the 7th Farscape DVD today I think that takes me up to episode 14. How many episodes are in a season & when if there are any, do any new characters or cast members get introduced?
Old 10-16-01, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Sessa17
My questions are with getting the 7th Farscape DVD today I think that takes me up to episode 14. How many episodes are in a season & when if there are any, do any new characters or cast members get introduced?

First two seasons were 22 episodes and for some silly reason split off after episode 18 until January when the last 4 are aired.

Episode 18 of season 3 finished off about a month ago, and I assume the last 4 will hit in January as usual.

Almost all the characters exist in some form during the first season. By the last episode of season 1, you've met all the essential characters except one who is first introduced in about the 3rd episode of season 3. A lot happens in those last 4 episodes of season 1. Right now the Sci-Fi repeats should be at episode 7 of season 2. It's a shame you couldn't watch the 8pm repeats. I assume they'll restart at the end, and I'm sure there'll be some big rollout marathon for those last 4 episodes in January.

Hope that helps.

das
Old 10-16-01, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dammit, just when I was beginning to curb my DVD addiction. Oh well, looks like I'll have to start buying Farscape DVD's soon.

Maybe columbia house sells them...
Old 10-19-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The commentaries on the first 3 are priceless. Ben B talks about John C like he likes the guy but he's such a dork. His battle with the bugs had me laughing and the comments about being 'mounted' in the rape dream is great.

Last edited by pagansoul; 10-22-01 at 03:25 PM.