DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Snl 10/13 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/150350-snl-10-13-a.html)

mikehunt 10-13-01 10:37 PM

Snl 10/13

Spoiler:

the Cheney skit was good, I hate john edwards so it's cool they're ripping him

jeffkjoe 10-13-01 11:08 PM

My friend, a fellow animator,

worked on tonight's Robert Smigel cartoon.

Although the whole Emeril Lagasse thing wasn't the most hilarious subject matter, I gotta hand it to them:

THEY ONLY GET a COUPLE WEEKS to animate these 3 minute pieces!

My friend would work non-stop from 6 PM to 3 AM for the past couple weeks.

mikehunt 10-13-01 11:17 PM

I liked the cartoon

weekend update is awesome

clemente 10-13-01 11:49 PM

I caught the Maya Rudolph/Nelly Furtado rip in the Willy Wonka skit.

DId she have surgery to alter her upper reaches? I don't recall her being quite so big.

Blaster1 10-13-01 11:57 PM

that cartoon dragged on and on, it should have been about 1 minute shorter, you could tell teh audience thought so too, because by the end they just stopped reacting to it

Wazootyman 10-14-01 12:37 AM

Did anyone see my friend (he was in the audience)

Charlie Goose 10-14-01 01:26 AM

What a terrible, terrible show. The King Kong sketch was the most brutal one I've seen in a few years. Only the WU was decent, with an excellent Colin Quinn. Cast members cracking each other up is not comedy and it's not professional.

MicFreJas 10-14-01 01:34 AM

Weekend update was good and Chris Kattan once again proves his tendacy to play not funny characters, but just overly homosexual ones with his gay hitler.

pantala 10-14-01 02:00 AM

Watching it right now, and the Wonka sketch is awesome. I hope that DVD is in widescreen. ;)

Apocrypha 10-14-01 02:44 AM

Drew Sexy in Action Talk Show (mmmm)

Macy Gray (kicked out the jams)

Weekend Update (Funny, nice to see CQ)

otherwise a really subpar show.

RandyC 10-14-01 02:46 AM

Watching it now. Found a few points amusing, but overall struck by how little I like the entire show. Most of the skits don't work well.

Frank TJ Mackey 10-14-01 04:01 AM

Weekend Update is about the only reason to watch anymore IMO.
I liked Maya Rudolph as Nelly Furtado (damn she can shake her azz!).

And personally (whether it's comedy or not) I have never laughed harder than when Jimmy Fallon kept cracking up in the hot tub.

big whoppa 10-14-01 04:05 AM

Pretty good. The Gay Hitler was funny and his date, Neil Diamond. :) This WU partnership is one of the best. It easily beats Dennis Miller, Collin Quinn, Norm McDonald, etc. TV Playhouse was good as usual. Dragged a little but still has an edge. Will Farrell and his "luv-er" bit is funny in a gross sort of way. And how can you not like Drew?

mtucker 10-14-01 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
And personally (whether it's comedy or not) I have never laughed harder than when Jimmy Fallon kept cracking up in the hot tub.
Same here, man. I was rolling especially with the butt grab at the end by Will. You could tell they were trying to crack each other up. That was pretty much the only thing going for that sketch.

mikehunt 10-14-01 10:27 AM

what was your take on the king kong thing?
Spoiler:

I thought they were being PC when they first edited out the trade center, then I decided they were mocking hollywood for how hollywood has been editing it out of stuff

RolloTomasi 10-14-01 12:31 PM

I got the sketch, I just didn't think it was funny. Well, the beginning and end were :), but the middle dragged on.

The whole sketch is at a TV station that's so close to bankruptcy that they can only afford to show the 1976 version on King Kong and old Superman shorts. Of course, to be PC, they had to cut out the WTC from King Kong, so to make up for it, they had the employees act out a scene to fill in. Of course, they suck :) Since they can't actually show the end of King Kong, they have to do that cheesy copout "Look! Superman is killing King Kong!" And at the end, they do the cheesy heart attack thing, and the actors burst out laughing (I couldn't tell if this was supposed to happen or not, but it got a laugh out of me : )

tofu 10-14-01 01:55 PM

Originally posted by RolloTomasi

And at the end, they do the cheesy heart attack thing, and the actors burst out laughing (I couldn't tell if this was supposed to happen or not, but it got a laugh out of me : )

i don't think that it was supposed to happen. but it was still funny :lol:

it's funny how they always say that the worst thing that an actor can do is start to laugh during a skit but to me, those were some of the funniest parts of the show.

big whoppa 10-15-01 09:34 AM

Originally posted by tofubomb

i don't think that it was supposed to happen. but it was still funny :lol:

it's funny how they always say that the worst thing that an actor can do is start to laugh during a skit but to me, those were some of the funniest parts of the show.

I agree. As long as they don't laugh every time, I enjoy it. Jimmy is the worst. :) Even the strange-looking girl (can't remember her name) couldn't keep from laughing.

King Kong was on the empire state building as I recall.

cineman 10-15-01 11:32 AM

Originally posted by big whoppa

King Kong was on the empire state building as I recall.

In the remake (the footage they used), KK was on the WTC.

immortal_zeus 10-15-01 12:53 PM

Am I the only one who thought this past episode sucked the big one? Also, Drew Barrymore was pretty crappy, too.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif