NYPD BLUE is coming on Tuesdays at 9!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NYPD BLUE is coming on Tuesdays at 9!

Old 10-12-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ABC calls on boys in "Blue'' to rescue Tuesday
By Josef Adalian

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - ABC is hoping to cure its Tuesday night ratings blues with a dose of "NYPD Blue.''

<small>As part of a radical overhaul of the night, network executives have decided to shrink ABC's Tuesday comedy block to a single hour and schedule the ninth season of producer Steven Bochco's "NYPD Blue'' at 9 p.m., followed by Bochco's latest drama, "Philly,'' which stays at 10.

The new Jason Alexander-led "Bob Patterson,'' which has struck out with viewers in its two airings, shifts to Wednesdays at 9:30 following "The Drew Carey Show.''

Tuesday night will still kick off with "Dharma and Greg,'' while "Spin City'' slides to 8:30.

Meanwhile, sophomore comedy "What About Joan'' has been canceled, and Denis Leary's "The Job,'' slated to premiere next month on Wednesdays, will be held for midseason.

"Our Tuesday night performance has been unacceptable,'' ABC Entertainment Television Group co-chairman Lloyd Braun said. "We wanted to make dramatic improvement on the night.''

With the new lineup, "'Philly' is going to have the best possible lead-in we could give it,'' Braun added.

The new Tuesday lineup kicks in Nov. 6 with a special two-hour season premiere of "NYPD Blue''; "Bob Patterson'' and "Spin City'' will switch Tuesday time slots next week. "Dharma'' repeats will then fill "Joan's'' 8:30 p.m. slot on Oct. 16 and Oct. 23; Halloween specials fill the 8-9 p.m. hour Oct. 30.

"Bob Patterson'' bows Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m. on Oct. 24.

"NYPD Blue'' had been scheduled to premiere Wednesdays at 10, starting next month, opposite NBC's "Law & Order.'' Now, "20/20'' will remain in the slot indefinitely; a Friday edition of the newsmagazine is still expected to return in December.

Bochco, who has been underwhelmed by the scheduling of ''NYPD Blue'' in recent years, said he was thrilled by ABC's move.

"It seems to me it's a win-win-win situation,'' he said, noting that "Blue'' will likely improve ABC's 9 p.m. hour while giving "Philly'' a much better shot at finding its audience.

In addition, "For 'NYPD Blue' to not have to compete with 'Law & Order' is huge,'' Bochco said. "It's not that we don't have competition now -- 'Frasier' is there -- but at the very least, there's a clear choice (between comedy and drama). It feels very bold and smart to me.''

"Blue'' will also now go head-to-head with the much-anticipated Fox drama "24,'' which is also scheduled to bow Nov. 6, as well as CBS rookie "The Guardian,'' the season's most-watched new drama. The move also leaves NBC laffers "Frasier'' and "Scrubs'' -- the top-rated shows in the hour in key demos -- without comedy competition.

The scheduling of "Blue'' at 9 p.m. Eastern/Pacific (or 8 p.m. in the Midwest) would have raised eyebrows several years ago, due to the show's sometimes racy content. But with ''Blue'' now a well-established entity -- and repeats running on cable at even earlier hour.
<HR>
Whether than go up against Law & Order, ABC decides to put NYPD Blue on Tuesdays at 9/8c beginning in November. I guess they decided they wanted it around another year!</small>

<HR>
Charlotte Ross & Garcelle Beauvais, click on small pics to enlarge!

Last edited by bigjim25; 11-07-01 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-12-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I was enjoying bob patterson and spin city
now I can't watch either due to scheduling conflicts
one more season of missing spin city
F... ABC

Last edited by mikehunt; 10-12-01 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-12-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It never should've been moved from it's original timeslot anyway. Throwing it against "Law & Order" on Wednesdays was like giving up on the show. I was going to reach out to the skells at ABC, but I figured they would lawyer up.
Old 10-12-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was excited about this news until I read that it is now opposite 24 on Fox. That is supposed to be one of the best, if not THE best, new show of the season.
Old 10-13-01, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also, since it'll be on an hour eariler, besides 24, it'll also be up against Roswell(UPN) and Smallville(WB). With Buffy vs. Gilmore Girls in the hour before this, Tuesday nights are going to be brutal for me. Time to by more VCRs. *Ack!*
Old 10-13-01, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aw crap... Why can't they put Philly on at 9 pm?!

8:00pm ABC Dharma & Greg ( I make no apologies )
8:00pm FOX That 70's Show
8:30pm FOX Undeclared

9:00pm NBC Frasier
9:00pm ABC NYPD Blue
9:00pm FOX 24

Okay, the 9pm block is shot to hell. I'm going to have to sacrifice one of those shows.
Old 11-07-01, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the episode was pretty good tonight, but I just can't get the Saved By The Bell show out of my mind now.
Old 11-07-01, 09:08 AM

Fortunately I've never seen Saved By The Bell so the new guy is simply a fresh face to me. He seemed fine last night, but I'll reserve my judgement til he's partnered with Andy for a bit.
(Though, to be honest, I really wish they'd make Charlotte Ross Andy's new permanent partner. I think putting him with a woman now would make for more interesting stories than pairing him with yet another young man. They said last night that five months had passed and I got the impression that she and Andy had been partnering together alot and become pretty friendly and I feel like I've missed out on a huge chunk of character development for the two of them.)
Old 11-07-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jnuke: You said it! Last season's cliffhanger episode had Danny missing and Andy and Connie partnered up, and man, she is easily the best female detective that has ever appeared on the show. Any woman who can see Andy beat the sh!t out of a perp and not cringe is aces in my book. Honestly, I was misty eyed seeing her appear next to Andy at the bar. Something happened in those five months since last season. I mean, for her to take him to her apartment means that they come to trust each other.

An oh dear Lord, isn't Charlotte Ross a goddess? I don't particularly like blondes, but last night.. WOW! Great casting. I can see why Vanessa Marcil didn't last more than one episode. She seemed somewhat weak, and if anyone here has ever met a female cop, they're not particularly tender or soft-spoken.. at least on the job. ;-)
Old 11-07-01, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
zach (mark paul whatever) did a decent job oddly enough
Old 11-07-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tesiae
Jnuke: You said it! Last season's cliffhanger episode had Danny missing and Andy and Connie partnered up, and man, she is easily the best female detective that has ever appeared on the show. Any woman who can see Andy beat the sh!t out of a perp and not cringe is aces in my book. Honestly, I was misty eyed seeing her appear next to Andy at the bar. Something happened in those five months since last season. I mean, for her to take him to her apartment means that they come to trust each other.

An oh dear Lord, isn't Charlotte Ross a goddess? I don't particularly like blondes, but last night.. WOW! Great casting. I can see why Vanessa Marcil didn't last more than one episode. She seemed somewhat weak, and if anyone here has ever met a female cop, they're not particularly tender or soft-spoken.. at least on the job. ;-)
Everything you said especially the Charlotte Ross is a goddess. I also hope Vanessa Marcil doesn't become a regular. She looked like somebody off the street next to Connie.
Old 11-08-01, 02:47 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by bigjim25
I thought the episode was pretty good tonight, but I just can't get the Saved By The Bell show out of my mind now.
Saved by the Bell was just so long ago though, I don't even think about it. If this was a comedy then I might, but this is drama now, and I think MPG does a great job with drama, I am beginning to like NYPD blue more and more now...Am watching the older shows on Court TV also.

It'd be nice if they released the old seasons on DVD, now that is one I would buy.
Old 11-08-01, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by wiz
Saved by the Bell was just so long ago though, I don't even think about it. If this was a comedy then I might, but this is drama now, and I think MPG does a great job with drama
I agree, it's been so long since I've even seen Saved By the Bell (since TBS no longer runs it 12 times a day ) I don't associate him with it very much at all. And I must admit that I liked Saved by the Bell anyway, so give the guy a break, it's not like they brought in Jonathan Taylor Thomas to play Andy's new partner.

I liked Rick Schroeder (sp?) a lot, but I have to admit his character was going nowhere fast (I still don't know what was going on with his family). And judging by how Sorenson ended up, Rick Schroeder must have really wanted off the show. I'm looking forward to see what MPG can bring to the show. (by the way Mark, lose the Paul. You're not a teenager anymore, there's no need for the 3 names )

P.s.
I swear Andy must be cursed. The guy has to have the worst luck in the the history of TV. 2 dead partners, 1 dead wife, 1 dead son. I mean come on give this guy some good news before we see him jump off the roof of the 15th.
Old 11-08-01, 03:26 PM

Well I thought it was a great preimere. I hope Marcil becomes a regular, Mark was good, and I hope they explain the history between Andy and Mark's dad. Looks like another good season of Blue.
Old 11-08-01, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Arimatheia: Don't you know? Marcil was dismissed after one episode. They then tried another actress whom they didn't like either. Eventually, I think that they did end up with an actual Latina actress to play the new cop.