DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Favorite New Strong Female Lead (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/149042-favorite-new-strong-female-lead.html)

das Monkey 10-09-01 12:48 PM

Favorite New Strong Female Lead

A few new shows haven't checked in yet, but we have a pretty good sampling for another silly poll. Who is your favorite new strong female lead (or major supporting character). It's entirely possible that I'm leaving some people out (some by choice, some in error). I'll have to think about it before I vote, just seemed like there are some wonderful female leads this season.

das

<B>Ack: Forgot 'Other' option. If a mod is watching ...</B>

Rascal 10-09-01 01:10 PM

Yikes, I was expecting to see Jolene Blalock (Enterprise). -rolleyes-

das Monkey 10-09-01 01:11 PM

Wow ... someone else watches Bickford other than me? I had to give up on the show because I just couldn't handle all the time shifts because of football. I'm already trying to watch 4 shows in the 9pm timeslot on Sunday nights. Having Bickford spill over into that slot every night is too much, even for me. :( It was shaping up to be a pretty good show, and Andrea's character is wonderful.

das

das Monkey 10-09-01 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Rascal
Yikes, I was expecting to see Jolene Blalock (Enterprise). -rolleyes-
Well, I did say 'Strong' and 'Lead' :) Seriously, I considered her, but while she may be female, she's not really a strong female character. And I'd consider her much more of a player in an ensemble than a lead, despite how big her boobies are. The ones I listed were either the star or the other lead alongside a male lead. Vera Farmiga's the only questionable one, but the first two episodes focus on her and Jake as the two leads more than everyone else on the show.

das

adamblast 10-09-01 01:43 PM

I was the Bickford voter! Actually, I'm enjoying the series a lot so far... I'm pleased that they're keeping the dialog very authentically academic, and that they're letting Dreyfuss play fairly misguided and abrasive...

Plus, I got my acting BFA from a University which looks very much like the campus they shoot in, both in-class and outdoors... Webster University in St. Louis... It was also a former girls college, so it's very similar indeed... It's got a great supporting cast of adult players, including some under-used folks that it's great to see again...

The sex-change-operation storyline is rather obvious and unrealistic, but I'm really liking and respecting the show as a whole... Perhaps it's a bit too Wonder Boys--what with the same narration device: tidbits from an disguised-autobiographical novel...

Anyway, I like Andrea a lot, and it's easy for me to see both sides in the academic "pop culture" war between her and Bickford...

Rascal 10-09-01 03:35 PM

das. I was just poking fun at what seems to me people consider to be "strong female lead". :) I probably shouldn't have spoiled such a good thread with a dumb comment.

I don't know any of the leads you mentioned, except for Hennessy. So I can't vote. She certainly has a strong roll. But I haven't watched Crossing Jordan past the first episode. I wasn't sure if the show was about an ME or her. :) There's already so much TV, that I watch, I need to be careful.

das Monkey 10-09-01 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Rascal
das. I was just poking fun at what seems to me people consider to be "strong female lead". :) I probably shouldn't have spoiled such a good thread with a dumb comment.

I don't know any of the leads you mentioned, except for Hennessy. So I can't vote. She certainly has a strong roll. But I haven't watched Crossing Jordan past the first episode. I wasn't sure if the show was about an ME or her. :) There's already so much TV, that I watch, I need to be careful.

Oh, ok ... thought you were rolling those eyes at me. :) As for Crossing Jordan, while I watch it and enjoy it, it hasn't blossomed into a great show yet. I think it has potential, but the writing seems a few steps behind. You can probably live without it considering all the other great shows worth watching.

das

clemente 10-09-01 10:18 PM

Originally posted by adamblast
Plus, I got my acting BFA from a University which looks very much like the campus they shoot in, both in-class and outdoors... Webster University in St. Louis... It was also a former girls college, so it's very similar indeed...
I don't watch the show, but I saw the commercials for the premier. I can say with every confidence that those select shots were at USC. But like I said, I don't watch so it may have been just for the premier.

garmonbozia 10-10-01 10:10 AM

Couldn't decide between Kim Delaney(Philly) or Dana Delany(Pasadena). Kim is probably my favorite, but the title said "strong" so I picked Dana.

das Monkey 10-10-01 10:20 AM

Originally posted by garmonbozia
Couldn't decide between Kim Delaney(Philly) or Dana Delany(Pasadena). Kim is probably my favorite, but the title said "strong" so I picked Dana.
That's a fair choice. I really like Dana in Pasadena, but she's a little too unstable for my vote. I hate to even admit that I watch Pasadena, but it's pretty darn entertaining and shows some definite promise.

das

Patman 10-10-01 12:31 PM

Pasadena -> starting to become guilty pleasure.

junkie 10-10-01 01:51 PM

what no pictures? I should report you to the Other Police

Eternia 10-10-01 02:02 PM

Jill Hennessy - just because :)