TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Angel (10/8/01)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-01, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angel (10/8/01)

SPOILERS IN HERE

Great giggly wiggly ... very good episode. Some of it was a little predictable, but that's quite OK. Good powerful ending too ...

das

mmmm .... Angel ....
Old 10-08-01, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, high quality episode, with a very misleading preview

Speaking of previews, did they not show one for next week? I didn't see one.
Old 10-08-01, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RolloTomasi
Yeah, high quality episode, with a very misleading preview

Speaking of previews, did they not show one for next week? I didn't see one.
Agreed. I hope the Buffy preview was equally misleading.

As for next week, I didn't see a preview either ... here's the WB listing for next week:

Spoiler:

An old man casts a body-switching spell on Angel, and the old man enjoys the many pleasures of being eternally young, handsome and bloodthirsty in Los Angeles while a dying Angel tries to get his body back

das
Old 10-08-01, 11:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this in the other "Angel 10/08/01" thread, but it applies here, too...obviously. LOL

What a GREAT episode! There was so much drama and the tension between Gunn and Angel that just left you hanging on the edge of your seat, waiting to see what was going to happen...kudos to the cast and crew. Oh, and I have to add now that the listing for next week sounds quite interesting...

Kal
Old 10-09-01, 01:49 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks like I might be the only one disappointed in this weeks episode. I guess Gunn isn't my favorite character and while there was the drama of the conflicted interest, it pretty much seemed like they're right back where they started. Except I guess the bar will be closed for a while.

On top of that I was expecting some more of the Darla subplot - didn't even get the 2 minutes it got in the last two episodes.

Next week's episode sounds a lot like
Spoiler:
Tale of the Body Thief
Old 10-09-01, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought last night's Angel was pretty intense, and I kept wondering, how is the gang going to get out of this situation, and at least there were ramifications for their survival after everything was said and done.

If I were Fred, I'd petition to go back to the Host's world...
Old 10-09-01, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved last nights episode of Angel. Totally blew me away writing and acting wise. I don't think that they're at the same place as they were before. I think there some definite changes in people and we will be seeing them.

Darla is traveling right now, heading for LA so we may not see her right away.
Old 10-09-01, 09:28 AM

I thought it was a decent episode. I thought that the plot was a little over-the-top, with Gunn's friends going crazy, and Gunn can't decide... A great line, though:

"I guess if anything I proved you can trust me: I could've killed you and I didn't."

"You'll have proved I can trust you when you have to kill me... and you do."

I thought that was incredible, although I didn't know Gunn's trust was ever in question, as I have always trusted him completely. Oh well.
Old 10-09-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So, was Angel's last line to Gunn a bit of foreshadowing, or posturing?
Old 10-09-01, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

great episode. i really like the dramatic turn that the series is taking.

I kinda wanted to know more about Geo though and why he came to Florida. I didn't quite get that part. Someone trusted him and he betrayed her, I guess, and then he ran away?

I was thinking that the foreshadowing from the last line might have to do with the great battle that the people from wolfram and hart are always talking about (the one that angel plays a big part of )
Old 10-09-01, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I liked it a lot too...Very moving especially in light of the attacks on US Citizens of Middle Eastern looks, I couldnt quit thinking about the comparison...

My only real beef was the WB promos were very misleading and totally didnt sell the show very well (which worries me),... and I wished Wesley and Gunn would have tried a little reasoning, instead of just relenting, caving in an shutting up. Like when they idenified out the baby killer demon, Wesley should have said, "Okay, and what kind of demon is he?" and pointed at the Host. He then could have at least tried to explain how harmless the host's breed was. I dont know, just seems to make more sense than standing there waiting to be slaughtered.
Old 10-09-01, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
I liked it a lot too...Very moving especially in light of the attacks on US Citizens of Middle Eastern looks, I couldnt quit thinking about the comparison...
I liked the counterpoint of Gunn's gang being predominantly black. Many of their comments sounded exactly like the way racists talk about black people, refering to them as subhuman, and talking about purity and such as if they were in the KKK.

das
Old 10-09-01, 03:02 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
mmmmmmm....Fred

--HN
Old 10-09-01, 10:16 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by das Monkey

Agreed. I hope the Buffy preview was equally misleading.

As for next week, I didn't see a preview either ... here's the WB listing for next week:

Spoiler:

An old man casts a body-switching spell on Angel, and the old man enjoys the many pleasures of being eternally young, handsome and bloodthirsty in Los Angeles while a dying Angel tries to get his body back

das
How cute. Josh read _The_Tale_of_The_Body_Theif".
Old 10-09-01, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Darren Garrison

How cute. Josh read _The_Tale_of_The_Body_Theif".
A) Joss?
B) Aside from select material for two early cross-over episodes with Buffy and Faith, Joss doesn't write for Angel
C) Everything is derivative of something else ... the question is how they handle it.

das
Old 10-10-01, 12:40 AM
Jad

I also agree that that last scene probably alludes to that "Great Battle" between Good and Evil, and Angel's supposed role in it.

I just read some interesting speculation about the identity of that man that Angel freed from Hell, last week...

Spoiler:
I read a *guess* from another fan that he might actually be Angel and Darla's son! I just found that intriguing... Of course that would require a lot of reaching, but hey, there's a pregnant vampire this season, so...

PS: das Monkey,

Where ya been? Drop by and visit some time! We don't have nearly enough Buffy/Angel fans.
Old 10-10-01, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jad
PS: das Monkey,

Where ya been? Drop by and visit some time! We don't have nearly enough Buffy/Angel fans.
You're kidding, right? I'm here all the time. I get requests to stop posting.

das
Old 10-10-01, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally posted by Jad
Not to encourage people to read other forums, but the Eternal Buffytastic thread on the Home Theater Forum is the best Buffy discussion I've stumbled across. Intelligent, frequent posts without becoming overwhelming, and without the awful signal-to-noise ratio of most dedicated Buffy forums.
Old 10-10-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ctyner
Intelligent, frequent posts without becoming overwhelming, and without the awful signal-to-noise ratio of most dedicated Buffy forums.
Was that an insult?
Old 10-10-01, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the counterpoint of Gunn's gang being predominantly black. Many of their comments sounded exactly like the way racists talk about black people, refering to them as subhuman, and talking about purity and such as if they were in the KKK.

das
I was thinking the same thing. And for some reason it was totally believable. I wanted to yell at them, Hey, don’t you see what you’re doing?

I’m not one of those who believe the “fail to learn from history/doomed to repeat it” crap. I believe that human nature is what it is, and that emotion will win out over logic/knowledge more often than not.

For me it was a powerful vision of life’s irony.
Old 10-10-01, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
Was that an insult?
No, no, that wasn't referring to DVD Talk at all...I meant Buffy mailing lists, the Bronze, alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer... Those forums are really hard to sort through. No, the only "problem" I have with the discussion about Buffy here is that the discussion isn't as frequent as the Eternal Buffytastic thread on the HTF, which, between the two threads, has to be right at a thousand posts...constant posting, but not overwhelming....
Old 10-10-01, 11:01 AM
Jad

You're kidding, right? I'm here all the time. I get requests to stop posting.

das
Yeah... stop posting and start chatting again.
Old 10-10-01, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jad

Yeah... stop posting and start chatting again.
You mean on IRC?

das
Old 10-10-01, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by MrN
Looks like I might be the only one disappointed in this weeks episode. I guess Gunn isn't my favorite character and while there was the drama of the conflicted interest, it pretty much seemed like they're right back where they started. Except I guess the bar will be closed for a while.

On top of that I was expecting some more of the Darla subplot - didn't even get the 2 minutes it got in the last two episodes.

Next week's episode sounds a lot like
Spoiler:
Tale of the Body Thief
exactly what I was going to say
Old 10-10-01, 08:29 PM
Jad

You mean on IRC?

das

Yeah, the DVDTalk flavor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.