DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   WS broadcasts are a conspiracy to put more “bugs” on your screen! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/147902-ws-broadcasts-conspiracy-put-more-%93bugs%94-your-screen.html)

Wizdar 10-05-01 10:16 AM

WS broadcasts are a conspiracy to put more “bugs” on your screen!

I was watching this commercial for 1-800-DENTIST -- it looks like it could be about 2.35:1 -- when it suddenly struck me that there’s a lot of space there that “they” could use to clutter up your screen without invading the picture (not that it’s stopped them so far). Those “bugs”, that stupid logo in the lower right corner, have been there for quite a while now. Now that more and more programs are being shown in WS, you KNOW they’re gonna use that space. They’re ALREADY using that space.

How long do you think it’s going to be before all the programs start looking like CNN on the bottom and top?

ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!

Riker 10-05-01 12:06 PM

CNN is a news channel and they are showing you news in those other areas, so that is acceptable. But there is NO excuse for the piece of crap moronic tick turds at TNN that put a complete left to right black bar with ADS on the bottom of the screen throughout every show!! And they didn't shrink the window for the program so that this invasive annoying infuriating 'feature' actually BLOCKS important program content! I was so excited about TNN bringing in Star Trek: TNG but not any more, I refuse to watch any shows on their crap network PERIOD and will work to spread the word and the rage about it to all tv viewers so that this will not become a trend like the bugs did and spread to all the other channels. If no one says anything that will definitely happen, so who can organize a petition or whatever it takes to fight this?

das Monkey 10-05-01 12:20 PM

Woah, Riker ... you must have woken up on the Thomas Riker side of the bed this morning :)

I agree, though. Both TNN and Oxygen have the most annoying tickers at the bottom of the screen. It's not enough that the TNN logo is ugly, massive, and opaque.

I'll continue to watch until the DVDs arrive (my VHS copies are on their last leg), but I'll also support any movement you want to organize to get them to cease this retarded practice.

das

Riker 10-05-01 03:20 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Woah, Riker ... you must have woken up on the Thomas Riker side of the bed this morning :)

That happens a lot. :) I probably don't fit the Aries mold, to borrow from the other thread...

I agree, though. Both TNN and Oxygen have the most annoying tickers at the bottom of the screen. It's not enough that the TNN logo is ugly, massive, and opaque.
Oxygen, isn't that the new chick channel? Luckily I don't even GET that channel... The only cool thing about the TNN logo is that they actually changed it to a Trek font for the marathon. That part was pretty cool...

Wizdar 10-05-01 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Riker
The only cool thing about the TNN logo is that they actually changed it to a Trek font for the marathon. That part was pretty cool...
If it's as bad as you say, that ain't gonna keep me in. I hated those bugs from the very beginning, and could see that it was just the tip of the iceberg. About the only good thing you can say about ‘em is you sure know when a commercial is on.

Also, since you mentioned ST, and it seems to be only the three of us, happen to catch that cheezy special they had on? I’ve got second-generation, off-the-air, EP tapes with better pic quality than the clips they were showing.

Filmmaker 10-05-01 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Riker:
I probably don't fit the Aries mold, to borrow from the other thread...

From Madeline Gerwick-Brodeur's and Lisa Lenard's "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astrology":

Aries is the sign of the pioneer, of the daredevil, of the person who just won't say "no". Don't stand in a Ram's way--you're likely to get run down by this "Butt"-head of the zodiac! Rams are assertive, direct and straightforward, but this also means that they can be aggressive, blunt or impatient.

Judging by your post, it looks like you fit the Aries mold in fine form... :)

bboisvert 10-05-01 05:13 PM

I caught a rerun of Miami Vice on TNN about a month ago (my first experience with the channel) and turned it off after 10 minutes. I couldn't believe that they not only leave that huge bug on the screen, but also leave the TITLE OF THE FREAKIN SHOW up on the screen for the entire running time. Give me a break.

I refuse to watch that channel again until they stop that silly practice. I'm a huge ST: TNG fan, but I can patiently wait for the DVDs.

I realize that I have to put up with these bugs to one degree or another on network/cable TV, but I won't support stations that seem to go out of their way to make them annoying and obvious.

Wizdar 10-05-01 05:36 PM

I tuned in to the TNG marathon today at lunch, and there's no ads, but the marathon banner on the bottom was a pisser.

I can't support that type of cr@p. There's nothing else on TNN I'm interested in, so Trek on TNN is not an option for me.

NOW I think I can relate to those who say, "I won't ever watch it if it's not OAR." Maybe apples and oranges, but I understand.

The only good thing about my 2 minutes with TNN:

Worf: "And then we mated."

Jeraden 10-05-01 08:56 PM

The TNN one is just ridiculous. I think logos on shows suck bigtime as it is, but at least most networks are courteous enough to make them somewhat transparent. Not TNN - big, bold, and in your face during the entire show. Not very good on the crts for us projection tv owners either.

Riker 10-06-01 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Filmmaker
[BAries is the sign of the pioneer, of the daredevil, of the person who just won't say "no". Don't stand in a Ram's way--you're likely to get run down by this "Butt"-head of the zodiac! Rams are assertive, direct and straightforward, but this also means that they can be aggressive, blunt or impatient.

Judging by your post, it looks like you fit the Aries mold in fine form... :) [/B]
Wow, yeah, I guess I do :)

Filmmaker 10-06-01 12:43 PM

;)