Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

AMC Movies w/ Commercial Interruptions?! WHT?!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-04-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh?

I'm currently watching 12 Angry men, enjoying the damned movie when suddenly, BAM! a commercial interruption! When the hell did this start? Is AMC going broke or something?
Old 10-04-01, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I noticed that too. Last night During the Wolfman they had commercials.
Old 10-04-01, 10:18 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

They announced over the summer they would begin airing commercials during the movies, but also promised not to saturate thier channel to the point of having to edit the movie.
And if I remember correctly, yes they were having $ problems.
Personally it's going to kill me during the Halloween marathon they have.
Old 10-04-01, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They were already presenting widescreen movies Pan & Scan, and now this. That settles it. No more AMC for me. At least there's TCM.
Old 10-04-01, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Tesiae
They were already presenting widescreen movies Pan & Scan, and now this. That settles it. No more AMC for me. At least there's TCM.
They always showed them pan & scan. The trick was(is) to stay up late. Sometimes by 9:00, but usually by 10:00, everything (or at least a couple) is in widescreen until just before daybreak. I spent many a hour staying up late to record stuff. (I still have The Great Race, A Guide For The Married Man, and a couple of others in letterbox taped from AMC, until they hit DVD). I would scan the listings in the morning, and if there was a good movie on, and it was on later after 10:00, I knew it would be in letterbox 95% of the time.

The thing you have to remember is, is that AMC is still a free channel/service. TCM is still, on a lot of cable systems, an upper tier channel that you pay for in a package. So they get their money that way, plus they have daddy's deep pockets. AMC still has to earn theirs the old fashioned way, by earning it. I hated the "sponsored by" ads before the show at first, but understood why they were there, and got used to them. I'm sure if I want to see something bad enough, I'll get used to these too.
Old 10-05-01, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

God it's too late, I thought ya'll were talking about AMC theaters for a second. I was shocked to say the least until I got a clue

~Scheherazade