DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Enterprise 10/3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/147495-enterprise-10-3-a.html)

mikehunt 10-03-01 07:14 PM

Enterprise 10/3

sweet so far

Spoiler:

sublight torpedos, cool

"you've watched too many science fiction movies, all we need are the three phase pistols, put the rifles away"

pulse rifles, and some other hand weapons were mentioned, cool
I love this show

ipkevin 10-03-01 07:56 PM

I agree. I haven't been interested in Trek since Next Generation, but I'm really liking Enterprise so far. Somehow it feels as if they took the best parts of Trek then added in all the grit and variety that the rest of Sci-Fi has been using. The Event Horizon-esque scene was cool. The dialogue and actors are really good. And the cinematic lighting and widescreen AR are awesome.

mikehunt 10-03-01 07:59 PM

Spoiler:

they got their first run in with a tractor beam, and it kind of looked like the aliens had some kind of shields when the first torpedo hit

elektra 10-03-01 08:21 PM

[SPOILERS]

I thought it was pretty good, but actually found myself agreeing with T'Pol. I don't know if I would have boarded the ship. What if it had been like she said and they didn't want any company. They could have been killed. I think I might have been more caucious.

mikehunt 10-03-01 08:31 PM

but explorers will never learn anything that way
what if columbus had been cautious?
:)

Originally posted by elektra
[SPOILERS]

I thought it was pretty good, but actually found myself agreeing with T'Pol. I don't know if I would have boarded the ship. What if it had been like she said and they didn't want any company. They could have been killed. I think I might have been more caucious.

das Monkey 10-03-01 09:13 PM

I liked most of the episode, and I was glad they spent some time developing Harry Kim, I mean Hoshi Sato's character. It was a little melodramatic, and the whole thing with the slug was as deep as a 2 foot kiddie pool, but I liked the sentiment. I'll be fine with this episode if she now starts demonstrating a backbone and acting with some confidence. If she bumbles around for 7 years like Kim, I'll be disappointed.

I don't think I'm sold on Neelix, I mean Richard Dreyfuss, I mean Phlox just yet. He still annoys me a bit. And dammit, if that bitch doesn't stop smirking at everything, her degree from the Vulcan Science Academy will be revoked.

Oh yeah, and the re-orchestrated 'Faith of the Heart' music as score over the heart warming moments ... no ... I don't think so.

I guess it sounds like I'm complaining, but I really did enjoy the episode. After a few more episodes, I think we'll have some strong character development and a show we can really sink our teeth into.

das

mikehunt 10-03-01 09:42 PM

hey don't mock "nice guy Harry kim" :)
the Dr is kind of annoying, but I think he'll turn out ok, at least he's acting different from the humans, shows some cultural differences between his species and the humans.
that "vulcan" is pathetic

Originally posted by das Monkey
I liked most of the episode, and I was glad they spent some time developing Harry Kim, I mean Hoshi Sato's character. It was a little melodramatic, and the whole thing with the slug was as deep as a 2 foot kiddie pool, but I liked the sentiment. I'll be fine with this episode if she now starts demonstrating a backbone and acting with some confidence. If she bumbles around for 7 years like Kim, I'll be disappointed.

I don't think I'm sold on Neelix, I mean Richard Dreyfuss, I mean Phlox just yet. He still annoys me a bit. And dammit, if that bitch doesn't stop smirking at everything, her degree from the Vulcan Science Academy will be revoked.

Oh yeah, and the re-orchestrated 'Faith of the Heart' music as score over the heart warming moments ... no ... I don't think so.

I guess it sounds like I'm complaining, but I really did enjoy the episode. After a few more episodes, I think we'll have some strong character development and a show we can really sink our teeth into.

das

huzefa 10-03-01 10:17 PM

OK, let me get this straight. In the time period that Enterprise is supposed to be set in, 'shields' don't exist? Well, when do they begin to exist then?

G. Noel Gross 10-03-01 10:18 PM

Great episode. I love that they don't have all the answers yet. Sorta like Luke Skywalker training to be a Jedi.

JuryDuty 10-03-01 10:25 PM

I'm really enjoying this series--much more than I thought I would. Even the theme song is growing on me.

I think T'Pol still has some perfecting to do in her character to get it down--she's still too emotional in her intonations, but otherwise she's doing really good.

Overall, they've made a great move with this Trek. I hope they can keep it up.

mverleg1 10-03-01 10:36 PM

Perhaps I just missed something, or don't understand the complexities of warp drive, but at the begining when Hoshi Sato (the Comm officer) is complaining that the stars are going the wrong direction because she's on starboard instead of port, wouldn't the stars be moving in the same direction?

Any insight into my feeble human thoughts?

Matthew

JuryDuty 10-03-01 10:41 PM

Originally posted by mverleg1
Perhaps I just missed something, or don't understand the complexities of warp drive, but at the begining when Hoshi Sato (the Comm officer) is complaining that the stars are going the wrong direction because she's on starboard instead of port, wouldn't the stars be moving in the same direction?

Matthew

I was wondering that, too. I think what she meant is that the window was on the wrong side of the room from what she was used to. That would make more sense, unless you're right and there's something about warp drive we don't know.

das? :)

mikehunt 10-03-01 10:43 PM

I think they were new right before the NCC 1701 Enterprise got built. There is a book about the first Capt. of that Enterprise, and that's when they first met romulans face to face, and shields then were still new enough to not be able to block transporters, which where also fairly new, at least I don't think romulans had them

Originally posted by huzefa
OK, let me get this straight. In the time period that Enterprise is supposed to be set in, 'shields' don't exist? Well, when do they begin to exist then?

mikehunt 10-03-01 10:44 PM

looking out her window, she was used to being on the port side, where the stars would go right to left, her new quarters on the starboard side had them going left to right when looking out the window

Originally posted by mverleg1

Matthew

das Monkey 10-03-01 10:48 PM

Originally posted by JuryDuty
das? :)
I'm not Mike Okuda's protege, guys :)

But on this issue, it's as simple as it seems. If you're on the starboard side of the ship, the "window" is on the right and the stars will appear to go from left to right from the perspective of someone looking out. If you're port, they'll appear right to left. Sometimes a cigar ... :)

das

huzefa 10-03-01 10:51 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
I think they were new right before the NCC 1701 Enterprise got built. There is a book about the first Capt. of that Enterprise, and that's when they first met romulans face to face, and shields then were still new enough to not be able to block transporters, which where also fairly new, at least I don't think romulans had them

I still don't get it then. Does this Enterprise ship that they have right now have shields or not? And why didn't they realize that the bad guy's ship would have shields and that a torpedo would do nothing against it. Isn't there a freakin manual they can use?

valkyrie 10-03-01 11:26 PM

Good episode, all around, a few of my complaints (the attempt at character development, the music, and the slug) have been voiced. Captain "let's blow some stuff up" Archer is shaping up to be a kick@ss captain.

As for the shields, didn't the first enterprise not really have shields? I thought they justed used the transporters to "beam" more material back into place when it was hit. Maybe I'm remembering something else.

Oh, and one other thing - why is the chick trying to sleep with her EYES OPEN?! Who gives a rat's @ss which directions the stars are going - just close your eyes! :)

The special effects are quite cool sofar. I'll be tuning in for a while yet.

Venusian 10-03-01 11:28 PM

when are they gonna start trusting transporters....

mikehunt 10-04-01 12:09 AM

hopefully not for a long time
McCoy never really trusted them, 115 years after this show's time frame, nor did Pulaski 215 years later

Originally posted by Venusian
when are they gonna start trusting transporters....

MonkeyG 10-04-01 12:12 AM

Liked the scene where the torpedo started heading back towards the Enterprise.

MrN 10-04-01 12:52 AM

Not too bad. Starting to see the true 'character' of the captain. Some indecision and morality mixed in.

Looks like the Enterprise will be outclassed most of the time in this show and they'll have to use their wits to get them out of trouble.

Is the next episode entitled 'Pitch Black'? ;)

elektra 10-04-01 05:03 AM

Yea, I know. No exploration, no show. I guess what made it work is the appearance of the ship having been attacked.

Definitely need to lose the "Kim syndrome". They need to get Sato some backbone, stat!

I like the Dr. He's amusing.

When people say first Enterprise, are they referring to Kirk's ship or Pike's? I don't know if they covered sheilds with Pike's ship, but we all know that Kirk's ship had sheilds.

Overall, good story. Slug was a waste of film. I'll keep watching.

nemein 10-04-01 05:27 AM

Originally posted by mikehunt
the Dr is kind of annoying, but I think he'll turn out ok, at least he's acting different from the humans, shows some cultural differences between his species and the humans.

I disagree. I was just thinking last night how the doctors on the shows have always been the most interesting/fun characters.

Orbi-Wan Techno 10-04-01 06:50 AM

Dr. Phlox...what a riot...

"That couple over there are going to mate later. Do you think they'll let me watch?"

Pretty funny for a Star Trek show...

And the dog and the cheese. Nice touch..

das Monkey 10-04-01 07:27 AM

Originally posted by elektra
When people say first Enterprise, are they referring to Kirk's ship or Pike's? I don't know if they covered sheilds with Pike's ship, but we all know that Kirk's ship had sheilds.

Or Robert April's? :)

das