Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek:TNG Marathon

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Trek:TNG Marathon

Why isn't TNN showing the episodes in order? I know ST:TNG isn't a serial, but things did change according to a timeline.

Trying to watch this marathon is disorienting. One episode has Wesley as a goofy kid, and then he's sitting on the bridge driving the ship. One minute Troi is wearing that goofy grey outfit, and then she's in the full Starfleet getup.

I hope TNN isn't going to run the regular series like this.

D
Old 10-02-01, 12:25 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Think of it like listening to songs on the radio--you never know what you're going to get, but at least it's fresh...
Old 10-02-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a 5-day "Best of" Marathon. Since it runs from 9am to 3am every day, that's only 90 episodes. Even if they went all day every day, they could only do 120, and there are 180 in TNG.

They should start airing regular episodes in order on weekdays starting next Monday at 8pm EST (verify that). I think they're going in original airdate order, not production order too. "Best of" marathons are always a little anachronistic at times. You'll see a character die, and there she'll be again three episodes later. If I'm not mistaken, though, the marathon IS in order ... it's just skipping the episodes that aren't that good.

das
Old 10-02-01, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched part one of Encounter at Far Point last night. I remember watching it in 1987 and thinking how good it was(ouch). If Paramount releases season sets, I don't know if I'll get season 1.
Old 10-02-01, 01:03 PM

I think they are in order... right now we're in season two, the dreaded "pulaski" episodes.
Old 10-03-01, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Has anyone else been watching this marathon and being surprised at rediscovering how good everything is? I've been watching stuff like The Best of Both Worlds, and it just seems so much better than recent Star Trek stuff I've been seeing. (Maybe I'm just thinking of Voyager.)

Everything just seems so fresh and original. Maybe
I'm just experiencing nostalgia from when these shows first aired, and they WERE fresh and original. But just in general, the quality of TNG's writing seems much stronger than any Star Trek since.
Old 10-03-01, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yea, but what a pain in the a$$ when you're trying to go to bed and a really cool ep is on. I switched over to have something on in the background while I get ready for bed. Of course it was third season, still the best imho, and it was the Offspring. Finished watching that and then "Sins of the Father" came on. D'oh! It would have to be ones that are really hard to turn off!
Old 10-04-01, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally posted by Todd B.
Has anyone else been watching this marathon and being surprised at rediscovering how good everything is? I've been watching stuff like The Best of Both Worlds, and it just seems so much better than recent Star Trek stuff I've been seeing. (Maybe I'm just thinking of Voyager.)

Everything just seems so fresh and original. Maybe
I'm just experiencing nostalgia from when these shows first aired, and they WERE fresh and original. But just in general, the quality of TNG's writing seems much stronger than any Star Trek since.
"Best of Both Worlds" is about as good as Trek can get, IMHO. But these shows do seem to be a lot better than what we got from DS9 and (uggh) Voyager. Of course, it is a 'best of' marathon, so there will be a few clunkers once they get into the full seasons.
Old 10-04-01, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY

I think they are in order... right now we're in season two, the dreaded "pulaski" episodes.
You actually prefer Gates McFadden? I'm sorry, but she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. And what's with that pseudo-British accent she cops every now and then? I always thought Pulaski brought some needed McCoy-ism to the show.
Old 10-04-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone been watching the "Wesley" intros? He was giving a teaser about a story that he's never told before, even though he's been interviewed countless times. And he was going to tell it during this marathon. But then I missed the story! Anyone hear it and care to fill me in? Very curious. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by elektra
Yea, but what a pain in the a$$ when you're trying to go to bed and a really cool ep is on. I switched over to have something on in the background while I get ready for bed. Of course it was third season, still the best imho, and it was the Offspring. Finished watching that and then "Sins of the Father" came on. D'oh! It would have to be ones that are really hard to turn off!
I suffered this last night when they hit me with "I, Borg" and "The Inner Light." How the hell are you supposed to sleep through episodes like that? I was up till 3am drowning in the greatness that was TNG. What a great great GREAT show.

As for Pulaski. Muldaur's the better actress, but Crusher's the better character. Pulaski did give us some great moments though, like "Measure of a Man" - "Dahta, Dayta ... what's the difference?" "One is my name. The other is not."

"Your Honor ... Starfleet was founded to seek out new life. Well THERE it sits!"

Powerful stuff. Wish I could have seen it on the marathon, but it's second season, so I'll get my chance soon enough.

das
Old 10-04-01, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
Has anyone been watching the "Wesley" intros? He was giving a teaser about a story that he's never told before, even though he's been interviewed countless times. And he was going to tell it during this marathon. But then I missed the story! Anyone hear it and care to fill me in? Very curious. Thanks in advance!
It was probably something silly. Marina's "secret" is that she likes being a sex symbol. Not much of a secret, and if I may say so, I too like that she's a sex symbol. She'll be making her way to Atlanta in May I think which will kick ass, because she really is a wonderful person to be around.

das
Old 10-04-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das, das, das - what are we to do with you?

WP - yes. When Wil heard the character's name was Wesley, he really wasn't sold on it and wondered if it could be changed. His mom (who is his agent) said that it was GR middle name and he should shut up.
Old 10-04-01, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WP - yes. When Wil heard the character's name was Wesley, he really wasn't sold on it and wondered if it could be changed. His mom (who is his agent) said that it was GR middle name and he should shut up.
Thank you SO much, elektra! Cool bit of trivia, and a mind at ease now that I know.
Old 10-04-01, 02:52 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Just my $0.02...

I think Crusher and Pulaski both had their virtues. In the end, I think Crusher fit the NEXT GEN mold better, but I think the way Pulaski was made to unceremoniously evaporate overnight was inexcusable, and one of TREK's more unsavory behind-the-scenes moments.

Oh yeah, though I know I'm in a minority on this, I think Crusher (Beverly, that is) is as hot as TREK's ever been (well, along with Jadzia Dax). Uhura, Troi, Pulaksi, Yar, Guinan, Kira Nerys, Janeway, B'Elanna Torres, Kes, Seven of Nine, and yes, even the Asian chick on the new ENTERPRISE show--they all pale in comparison to foxy Beverly Crusher! Disagree all you will...it means less competition for me!
Old 10-04-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Film - there's a whole story behind the changing of the doctor's on TNG and if you want to hear it, let me know.

I think that Gates is much better looking (particularly in person) than most of the other women. She's also pretty nice.

Oh, someone commented earlier or in another thread about an accent? She did live in Europe for a while, IIRC.
Old 10-04-01, 03:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Film - there's a whole story behind the changing of the doctor's on TNG and if you want to hear it, let me know.

I think that Gates is much better looking (particularly in person) than most of the other women. She's also pretty nice.

Oh, someone commented earlier or in another thread about an accent? She did live in Europe for a while, IIRC.
From what I understand, Gates McFadden was acting like a complete diva on the set and getting on everyone's nerves, so they kicked her off the show.
Old 10-04-01, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by elektra:

If it's not the old "the fans hated a rip-off of McCoy, and a Data-hater, to boot", "the producers didn't think the hoped-for tension between Pulaski and most of the crew worked like they were hoping for" or "Patrick Stewart and Diana Muldaur hated each other" rumors/theories, then I'm all ears...
Old 10-04-01, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts
right now i am recording most of it. its a good thing that target had tapes on sale.

i agree that TNG had the best writting and character design, and acting, and everything. although there were some good episodes of DS9 and Voyager it still does not compare to TNG. ive forgotten how much ive missed it all.
Old 10-04-01, 04:02 PM
Banned

Hey, at least DS9 never became as soap opera-ish and pedestrian as TNG tended to get. I'm not really slighting TNG here, as it's a show I love, but admittedly, after meeting Picard's mother, brother and nephew, Riker's dad, Troi's mom and dad (who didn't speek with a Greek accent either?!?!?), Data's dad, brother and grandfather, Worf's mom, dad, human brother and Kligon brother, Wesley's dad, Beverly's husband and (dead) grandmother, Geordi's dad and mom...well, you get the idea. After a fashion, TNG (as top-notch as the writing was), became a little too "domestic" on ocassion. Again, not to bash TNG at all--fabulous show--but I find claims that it is superior to DS9 to be rather specious...

Last edited by Filmmaker; 10-04-01 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-04-01, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, let's not argue DS9 vs. TNG Depending on what you're looking for in a show, you could easily choose one over the other. Personally, the integriy and exploration of the human condition that TNG focused on makes it my favorite. It's more of the idealistic Roddenberry show. That makes it more cheesy and less realistic, but I go for that kind of thing. DS9 was a great show for completely different reasons.

As for Gates, she is a very beautiful woman, especially without that silly wig. I always thought Marina was a little over-rated, but I think she looks better in person and is so nice and personable that she adds to her beauty in personality. Depends on your taste - both are striking women in their own way. I always liked Ezri a little more than Jadzia. Terry Farrell is your typical beautiful woman ... Nicole had something unique about her. Of course, Nicole's pretty bitchy in real life, and that ruins it a bit.

Ahhh ... 'Tapestry' is on ... damn, this show is good.

das
Old 10-04-01, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Figures ... 'Birthright' comes on just after my DS9 post

das
Old 10-04-01, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by das Monkey:
Terry Farrell is your typical beautiful woman

Yeah, but ya know--sometimes a crazy-hot chick is a crazy-hot chick...watcha gonna do?

Nicole had something unique about her

Nicole's cute, yes, but the butch "Darren from BEWITCHED" hair-do hurt her bad.
Old 10-04-01, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by das Monkey:
Terry Farrell is your typical beautiful woman

Yeah, but ya know--sometimes a crazy-hot chick is a crazy-hot chick...watcha gonna do?

Nicole had something unique about her

Nicole's cute, yes, but the butch "Darren from BEWITCHED" hair-do hurt her bad.
Old 10-04-01, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I personally think Tapestry is one of the best (if not the best) TNG episode. Thankfully TIVO caught it for me!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.