DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Is Enterprise the end of the line for ST? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/146744-enterprise-end-line-st.html)

Wizdar 10-01-01 11:00 AM

Is Enterprise the end of the line for ST?

They've gone forward, taking a fairly chronological progression from TOS. I suspect one reason they went back to before Kirk & Co. was to find something fresh. So, after this, what?

And, yes, I know this is (hopefully) WAY premature. But what the hey – the thought crossed my mind this weekend.

Bandoman 10-01-01 11:22 AM

I think Brannon and Braga are already discussing ideas for "Enterprise: The First Generation" in which some shadowy, unknown evil entity will use trans-temporal technology from the 25th Century to communicate with NASA Astronauts aboard the space shuttle Enterprise. The Enterprise is somehow accidentally transported to uncharted regions of the galaxy in the 24th Century. They are considering a cameo appearance in the pilot episode by Kate Mulgrew, as Janeway has experience being lost and having nothing important to do.

elektra 10-01-01 11:38 AM

I think they should have given it a rest this time around, but after this definitely give it a rest.

das Monkey 10-01-01 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Bandoman
I think Brannon and Braga are already discussing ideas for "Enterprise: The First Generation" in which some shadowy, unknown evil entity will use trans-temporal technology from the 25th Century to communicate with NASA Astronauts aboard the space shuttle Enterprise. The Enterprise is somehow accidentally transported to uncharted regions of the galaxy in the 24th Century. They are considering a cameo appearance in the pilot episode by Kate Mulgrew, as Janeway has experience being lost and having nothing important to do.
Haha ... in answer to the question, no, this is not the end of Star Trek. Two things you should never underestimate: Star Trek and Michael Jordan. The fan base alone would warrant, if nothing else, a silly syndicated show. There will always be a desire for science fiction television. Personally, I'd love to see the Sci-Fi channel get a shot at a Star Trek series, but that probably won't happen. The Adventures of Sulu idea was strong, but it's pretty much dead now unless they do two concurrent shows. Regardless, there will be another idea, another spin-off, another something to keep the legacy alive. Personally, I'd like for them to take a break (should be now, but hopefully after Enterprise). Even if they do, they'll be back, whether 6 months or 60 years later. Star Trek will continue. When God blows out the candle on this Universe, Star Trek will be the last thing to fall, right after Dick Clark.

das

Wizdar 10-01-01 11:47 AM

rotfl

Dick Clark will never die!

Slumbering Fist 10-01-01 12:23 PM

As long as there is profit in it, they will keep the franchise alive. And, Star trek may not get blockbuster ratings, but if you figure in the consumerism and genreral loyalty of the fans, its very alive in Paramounts mind...so, no, its not the end of the line. One of the reasons they are trying new things on the latest series, like some cussing, developing the mythology early, some t&a, and getting rid of the usual theme song is to lure new veiwers and spurn a new genreration of fans to keep the franchise going.

mikehunt 10-01-01 01:36 PM

they're worse than ferengi :)

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
As long as there is profit in it, they will keep the franchise alive.

Jackskeleton 10-01-01 11:04 PM

I highly doubt this is the ending. if anything, i found this series to be a warm welcome to the dying series.

but you have to consider, the ending of voyger was pretty much them coming back with all that technology and pretty much having the human race be the most powerful. so what can they really do along the lines of the future series?