Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Enterprise Petitions (Spoiler if you haven't seen premiere)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone's interested, I ran across the following two petitions. The first is just to ditch the lame song. The second is to ditch the idea of a vocal song all together. Either would be fine for me, so I signed both. Voice your concern if you're interested.

http://www.petitiononline.com/STETheme/
http://www.petitiononline.com/entintro/

das
Old 09-28-01, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not that hung up on the song. I'd like to see one to fix the more important issues with plot and character development.
Old 09-28-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
thanks signed both
I'd prefer a Jerry Goldsmith theme, but would settle for the song from the commercials
Old 09-28-01, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out this update of the intro, using the theme song from the trailer, "Wherever you will go" by the Calling:

New Intro
Old 09-28-01, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by valkyrie
Check out this update of the intro, using the theme song from the trailer, "Wherever you will go" by the Calling:

New Intro
Wow ... I'm not sold on that song, simply because it was so absolutely perfect for the trailers that it might not work for the credits. Still, if they rearrange the visuals a bit and sync up the timing, it's a much more powerful intro than what we saw on Wednesday. Thanks for that link - that was quite cool.

das

P.S. elektra, I too would like to see some more changes come about. If you recall, the miniskirts were gone right after Farpoint ... I hope similar changes have taken place since the pilot was filmed.
Old 09-28-01, 06:44 PM
Suspended

I think the song woulda been fine if they just didn't have any vocals. A more rockish theme I think would do well here, since it's not as ultra-scifi as the other shows were
Old 09-28-01, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah...I'm really not sure what to do for the song. I do agree we could use something besides a JG score, but I'm not sure that the Calling song is right for a series, either. I do love the song (I just ordered the whole Cd cause I liked it so much), but I can see it getting too old, too fast (as will the current one, look at the animosity after a week, can you imagine 6 years?!).

I think they should do something kinda like B5's 5th season, with audio clips and a score background. They could use clips from ST and real world events (the moon landing, etc). Hmmm...maybe that wouldn't work, I dunno.

Out of curiosity, why did ST move away from the monologue? I think in this case, that might even work. Ah...for every good idea I can think of, I can knock it down twice. DAmn.
Old 09-29-01, 11:06 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

It'd be funny if they just used Kirk's old "Boldly Go" voiceover and the "Ahhhh ahhhs" from the original intro. Except ditch the "five year" ref. But these yahoos would probably want to change the "ahh ahhs" to some guy doing beat box.
Old 09-29-01, 11:22 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Signed both with all manner of joy--no matter how low VOYAGER ever got, it couldn't touch how repellant that theme song is...
Old 09-30-01, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Filmmaker
Signed both with all manner of joy--no matter how low VOYAGER ever got, it couldn't touch how repellant that theme song is...
So, I'm not the only one who thought the theme to Voyager is suck?
Old 09-30-01, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
I imagine he's refering to the numerous faults with Voyager, not the theme music. Personally, I found the Voyager theme to be absolutely beautiful and way too good for that show.

das
Old 09-30-01, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by valkyrie

New Intro
I don't hate the current theme as much as most, but I do agree that it doesn't really fit the feel of the show. I do however like using the trailer music as the opening theme.
Old 09-30-01, 01:51 PM

I'd like to hear a theme song that was a little darker than what they have now (or have used in the past). Two of the better sci-fi themes to me are the themes from Robocop and Terrminator. They made me feel the mood of the films before anything really happened.

Being on the whole rock and roll tip in the theme makes the show sound too damn happy. I would think being the first humans to tool around the galaxy in this new ship would be a bit of a scary experience. The theme should reflect some of those emotions.

But was the theme song worse than the Vick's Vapo-Rubdown filmed in Cinemax-O-Vision? Tough call, but I will stick to the subject and say the theme was worse. After all, we'll have to put up with it every episode.
Old 09-30-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Personally, I found the Voyager theme to be absolutely beautiful and way too good for that show.

das
When you put it that way, I agree.
Old 09-30-01, 10:11 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Wizdar, you did indeed misread my post--I meant that no matter how bad VOYAGER ever got (I tend to agree with about 25% of the harsh indictments it usually suffers from at the hands of Trekkers, especially in regards to the first two misstep seasons), it never, ever sank to the ghastly level of ENTERPRISE's theme song. I actually find VOYAGER's theme to be a noble, lovely tune, though the most rich and powerful STAR TREK TV theme of all is likely DEEP SPACE NINE's...
Old 09-30-01, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should just use "Hallo Spaceboy" by David Bowie. What the heck? Anything would be better than the stupid theme they used last week. Actually, some of Loreena McKennitt's non-lyric stuff would be pretty good for the opening to the show.

And I really hope they bring back The Gorn. Coolest species ever.

As for character development, it's gonna take a bit of time. After all, The next generation, Deep sludge nine, and V-ger all had suck characters at first. TNG didn't hit its stride till Riker grew facial fuzz.
Old 09-30-01, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
The Gorn are cool, but Kirk made first contact with them so they can't be in enterprise if there is to be continuity

I would have liked to see them in DS9 as federation members, or at least allies, against the dominion

Originally posted by mllefoo

And I really hope they bring back The Gorn. Coolest species ever.
Old 10-01-01, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What about the Startship troopers theme. Blur(?) without words they are already going with the established scifi stuff.
Old 10-01-01, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Spicollidriver1
What about the Startship troopers theme. Blur(?) without words they are already going with the established scifi stuff.

NOO!!! as much as i love Blur, "Song 2" is one that i do not want to hear annnnnnnnnnnymore on any soundtrack or commercial for any movie, tv show, or anything else. it was over used and pretty much destroyed replay value because every damn movie used it in its commercials.
Old 10-01-01, 12:42 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
NOO!!! as much as i love Blur, "Song 2" is one that i do not want to hear annnnnnnnnnnymore on any soundtrack or commercial for any movie, tv show, or anything else. it was over used and pretty much destroyed replay value because every damn movie used it in its commercials.
I'm with you. I actually missed out on Starship Troopers for a long long time because I hated the trailer music so much. It wasn't until I checked out the DVD that I realized how foolish I'd been. Just proves how an overplayed song can sour ya.
Old 10-02-01, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Wizdar
What!?!?
Are you crazy.Id rather listen to the theme to Voyager for an hour than have to put up with that crummy new theme from Enterprise for five minutes!!What next,The Enterprise Rap collection.I am disgusted.
Jerry is a musician unlike most of the garbage spewing out of the radio.Id love to see just one pop/rap/contemporary Rock persona write a score that equals what Goldsmith has accomplished.
Old 10-02-01, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by midnightmetro:
Id love to see just one pop/rap/contemporary Rock persona write a score that equals what Goldsmith has accomplished.

Danny Elfman, meet midnightmetro. midnightmetro, meet Danny Elfman...

(Sorry, I agree thoroughly with your statement, but I can't resist playing devil's advocate! )
Old 10-02-01, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by midnightmetro

What!?!?
Are you crazy.
Don't know what that's got to do with anything, but, well, yes. So?

For me, the Voyager theme was too much of a departure from what I'm looking for in a ST theme. We've had it for years and I've gotten used to it, but still don't like it as a ST theme. As a piece of music, it's mediocre at best. Listen to it for an hour??? Are you crazy??

The Enterprise theme takes another step backwards, IMHO. Just ain’t Star Trek. As a stand-alone work, I wouldn’t go out of my way for it.

Danny; NOW you're talkin', Filmmaker! But probably too pricey for Paramount.

Edited due to forgetting an appropriate smilie

Last edited by Wizdar; 10-02-01 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-02-01, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Filmmaker
Originally posted by midnightmetro:
Id love to see just one pop/rap/contemporary Rock persona write a score that equals what Goldsmith has accomplished.

Danny Elfman, meet midnightmetro. midnightmetro, meet Danny Elfman...

(Sorry, I agree thoroughly with your statement, but I can't resist playing devil's advocate! )
Bah! Elfman doesn't count. He's in a world of his own. Mr. I Don't Know How To Read Music And Tell Everyone Who Comes Near Me formed Oingo Boingo with his brother when making the music to The Forbidden Zone, so his "rock" career stems from his film music career to begin with. He's sort of ridden the fence since then, but his music is certainly not in the same league. I love Elfman scores, and they fit most of his movies so perfectly. But witness his few attempts to do a bona fide orchestral score for a non-genre film, and you'll see that he's not cut out for that type of music. Where Goldsmith et. al. are both daring enough and able enough to score any type of film you can conceive, Burton lives within genre films. I applaud his mastery in these films, but from my perspective, he's no Jerry.

das

Two can play at this game
Old 10-02-01, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by elektra
I'm not that hung up on the song. I'd like to see one to fix the more important issues with plot and character development.

I agree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.