DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   which star trek tv show do yall like? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/146104-star-trek-tv-show-do-yall-like.html)

cooldaddy2 09-28-01 11:37 AM

which star trek tv show do yall like?

i like the trouble with tribbles and a piece of the action

das Monkey 09-28-01 12:13 PM

If (TVSHOW Contains "STAR TREK") and NOT (TVSHOW Contains "VOYAGER") then LIKE = TRUE

Since you names TOS episodes, I'll list some that come to mind.

A Piece of the Action
Spectre of the Gun
The Trouble With Tribbles (*bows to Gerrold*)
The City on the Edge of Forever (*bows to Harlan*)
Balance of Terror
Space Seed
The Enterprise Incident
Mirror, Mirror
I, Mudd

I'm sure there are more, but those come to mind immediately.

And I guess, The Squire of Gothos ... anything will Bill Campbell is cool :)

das

Brian Shannon 09-28-01 12:52 PM

From TOS

Doomsday Machine
Balance of Terror
The Immunity Syndrome

From TNG

Episode 37. "Contagion"
While investigating the destruction of another galaxy-class starship, the Enterprise starts to suffer its own malfunctions

Episode 54. "Booby Trap"
An asteroid field hides a deadly trap which might destroy the Enterprise

Episode 58. "The Defector"
A Romulan commander defects to warn the Federation of his government's invasion plans

Episode 68. "Tin Man"
A living ship calls to a powerful, tormented telepath

Episode 74. "The Best of Both Worlds, Part I"
The Borg are back, and they want Picard to join them.

Episode 75. "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II"
Can Riker rescue Picard and battle Locutus at the same time?

Episode 81. "Reunion"
Picard is named the Arbiter of Succession by the Klingon Empire while Worf gets a surprise from the woman he loves

Episode 95. "The Drumhead"
A witch-hunt for Romulan spies causes injustice on the Enterprise

Episode 125. "The Inner Light"
A probe contacts Picard, who's suddenly living a whole other life

Episode 130. "Relics"
Scotty is found in a transporter pattern buffer

Episode 145. "Lessons"
Picard falls in love with a piano-playing commander

Filmmaker 09-28-01 01:02 PM

Favorites:

TOS: "The City on the Edge of Forever"

TOS Animated: "The Slaver Weapon" (followed very closely by "Yesteryear")

TOS Movies: STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds, Parts I and II"

TNG Movies: STAR TREK: GENERATIONS (sorry, I don't subscribe to everyone's love affair with FIRST CONTACT, since "Best of Both Worlds" was such a superior Borg adventure)

DS9: "The Visitor"

VOYAGER: Undecided at present...give me a little more time to soak that series in...

Kudama 09-28-01 01:21 PM

For me, lately, TOS shines most when one of the characters says something completely hilarious. My recent favorite is when super powerful aliens have donned the bodies of a male and female human and are loathe to give them up. Kirk is trying to circumvent their superior power by messing with their ability to handle human emotions (seducing the female and pissing off the male).
My favorite line is when he’s succeeding at getting the male to beat the sh*t out of him and McCoy walks in and is like “What the Hell, Jim?!?”.
The way Kirk holds up his hand and says, “I’m…stimulating him!.” Is one of my favorite all time TOS moments ever. It’s even funnier if you’ve had a few beers.

Spock’s “Excuse me sir, you have a multi legged creature on your shoulder.” is good too, but isn’t as much of a howler.

elektra 09-28-01 01:53 PM

das - what you said.

Um, you do know that technically Harlan didn't write that?

ravan 09-28-01 01:59 PM

Well, I'm an infidel - I loved TOS, but more in a campy kind of way than scifi quality. Although it has both for sure.

A few TNG favorites :
"Yesterdays Enterprise" was really cool
Ship in a bottle
Best of Both Worlds

The end "All good things.." was very cool too.

das Monkey 09-28-01 02:10 PM

Originally posted by elektra
das - what you said.

Um, you do know that technically Harlan didn't write that?

I guess it depends on how you look at it, but yeah ... I'm glad he finally put all his thoughts down on paper when he published the teleplay a while back. "He had my Scotty dealing drugs!" :) But regardless, I'll always attribute it to him ... he's a genius and deserves credit.

das

elektra 09-28-01 02:13 PM

If you can get up here for next Saturday, he's going to be at MIT with Peter David and Neil Gaiman.

das Monkey 09-28-01 02:33 PM

If you can get up here for next Saturday, he's going to be at MIT with Peter David and Neil Gaiman.
On my way ... can I stay at your place?

das

elektra 09-28-01 03:24 PM

das - actually, you could, as long as you're not allergic to cats. We plan on going and it's going to be a great time. I have a Day of the Dead script autographed by JMS and I hope to get Neil's autograph on it as well.

Filmmaker 09-28-01 03:26 PM

Harlan Ellison is a prig of the highest order. I give him kudos for his intellect and his contributions to my favorite Original Series episode, but he's so insufferable, I want to squeeze his little head like an overripe grape every time I hear his condescending little voice...

elektra 09-28-01 03:50 PM

Wow! Film, I don't think I've ever heard you so aggressive before! Dude, go easy!!!!! I enjoyed his reading of Paladin of the Lost Hour.

Filmmaker 09-28-01 03:57 PM

Oh, I'm sure you'll find me full of surprises... ;)

cooldaddy2 09-28-01 04:06 PM

cool yall i have 20 shows on dvd. there cool to i would rightem down but too long they put 2 shows on them .yall should go to best buys they have alot of them ?dvd is cool to me i havnt got no more vcr shows no more just dvd ?

Filmmaker 09-28-01 04:32 PM

[Edited for tackiness on my part]

das Monkey 09-28-01 05:12 PM

das - actually, you could, as long as you're not allergic to cats. We plan on going and it's going to be a great time. I have a Day of the Dead script autographed by JMS and I hope to get Neil's autograph on it as well.
I'd love to, but those damn logistics ... always getting in the way. Cats rule, btw. I hope you have a great time. I'd kill for a script autographed by jms. I have "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" with Furst's directors notes written in the margins signed by him and Jerry Doyle, but it's not the same :) Thankfully, I met Peter and Harlan a few weeks ago. I'll have to wait to meet both you and Neil ;) Make sure you return with lots of details.

das

das Monkey 09-28-01 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Filmmaker
Harlan Ellison is a prig of the highest order. I give him kudos for his intellect and his contributions to my favorite Original Series episode, but he's so insufferable, I want to squeeze his little head like an overripe grape every time I hear his condescending little voice...
Haha ... well, you have to keep in mind that it's half real and half an act. He and Peter are the perfect team ... good cop, bad cop. Peter's the sweet little man with the nice wife whom everyone loves, and Harlan's the evil monster that everyone hates. Strange that they're best friends and Harlan was Peter's best man at the wedding in May :)

I think Harlan realizes that he's a caricature of himself, and he's just accepted it and plays the part. He's had his rough spots, and sure has been a jackass to a LOT of people, but there's a heart in there and an incredible talent. Frankly, I love going to hear him bitch about stuff - it's fun - and he's fun - and he really is a nice guy when you talk to him offstage.

das

elektra 09-28-01 05:29 PM

das - bummer about the logistics. We'll promise to raise a glass in your honor! Funny about what you said regarding Harlan. Saw him for the first time at I-con in NY. We rode back to Bridgeport, CT on the ferry with two guys from CT who had also been there. They went because both are big Ellison fans. They had been walking from one building to another in a group and Harlan was there. There was also a couple of females walking with them. One of them looked cold, so Harlan took off his coat and put it on her. One of the guys said, "That was a pretty nice thing to do for a guy who's supposed to be such a prick." They all laughed over it, but he's just as human as the next person. I think he's mellowed some with age. I do know that he's intollerant of ignorance and/or stupidity.

Fur Q 09-28-01 05:31 PM

CHAIN OF COMMAND

'nuff said.

starving dvder 09-29-01 04:44 AM

Original star trek favorites

1-Tholian's Web
2-City on the edge of forever
3-Immunity Syndrome
4-Doomsday Machine
5-Operation Anilate
6-Balance of Terror
7-Wolf in the fold

Filmmaker 09-29-01 09:14 AM

Originally posted by elektra:
...Harlan was there. There was also a couple of females walking with them. One of them looked cold, so Harlan took off his coat and put it on her. One of the guys said, "That was a pretty nice thing to do for a guy who's supposed to be such a prick." They all laughed over it, but he's just as human as the next person. I think he's mellowed some with age.

Yeah, but c'mon, let's be realistic--she was a lady. Even pricks are often p*ssy cats when it comes to the ladies--not because they have a heart but because, well...you know... ;)

I do know that he's intollerant of ignorance and/or stupidity.

Hey, wait a minute...that wasn't some kind of a left-handed insult towards me, was it? ;)

elektra 09-29-01 12:41 PM

Filmmaker - no sweetie, I wasn't insulting you. Just explaining why he can be so accerbic. I do like him. I find him very intelligent and someone who "tells it like it is."

It was weird to discover that Robin Williams is a good friend of his.

Filmmaker 09-29-01 02:16 PM

Originally posted by elektra:
It was weird to discover that Robin Williams is a good friend of his.

That is strange, considering Harlan is a Gemini and Robin is a Cancer...they should get on each others nerves. I'm a Cancer and have three Gemini friends--they're cool and all, but I can only handle them for about an hour at a time... ;)