Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone watch "The Agency"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-28-01, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That show about the CIA? It looked somewhat interesting but I completely forgot about it Was it any good?
Old 09-28-01, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I watched it. About 45 minutes into, I was trying to figure out a way to describe it to my friends. Then it came to me, "it's just like Walker, Texas Ranger without the fight scene at the end." 5 minutes later, the episode ended ... with a fight scene.

They have some good ideas and a decent cast, but this show definitely belongs on CBS. The "technology" is typical Hollywood stuff: someone digitally manipulates an image with three keystrokes, someone hacks the Gibson with a Nintendo Gameboy ... that kind of stuff.

It's very contrived, and I can't see myself wanting to watch it again. It was entertaining enough but for a show that wants me to think it's intelligent, it's really pretty silly <insert crack on CSI here>. Kind of sucks, because I've been a big fan of Will Patton for a long time, and it's great to see him on episodic TV, but this show just doesn't work for me.

das
Old 09-28-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I taped ER since I was tired and not sure if I would make it all the way through so I gave the Agency a watch.

I really liked the cast. I hope this goes somewhere.

This might be a tough time to begin a show about the CIA but I'll give it a chance.
Old 09-28-01, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well at the moment, the CIA is pretty castrated, but I'd love to see a how about the Agency in its heyday. A show about the Shah would be very interesting.
Old 09-28-01, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think everyone should try give it a chance and watch it at least once. I thought it was REALLY good. Definitely the best new show I've seen this year with a number of twists and turns. Too bad its on at the same time slot as ER. Luckily I have a Tivo and an A/B switch.
Old 09-28-01, 10:57 PM

I'll watch anything with Will Patton in it, however I completely forgot to tape it last night. The Washington Post however simply hated it beyond words.
Old 09-28-01, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Giles
I'll watch anything with Will Patton in it, however I completely forgot to tape it last night. The Washington Post however simply hated it beyond words.
I hate to agree with critics on anything, but it wasn't very good. It was pretty two-dimensional. The acting was fine, but there was just no substance. They tried to force backstory about one character's brother; another character out of nowhere gets drunk because he can't forgive himself for what he "knows". It was just jumbled to me. I really like all the actors they have, but it doesn't come together too well and the whole thing seems very forced. Oh well ... give it a shot next week and let us know. I probably won't watch it again.

das
Old 09-28-01, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One thing you have to understand: the show they broadcast was the not the "punchy" premiere they had intended. The actual pilot was scrapped because it dealt with Osama Bin Laden, or so I heard. Hey, isn't this show executive produced by Wolfgang Petersen?
Old 09-28-01, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tesiae
One thing you have to understand: the show they broadcast was the not the "punchy" premiere they had intended. The actual pilot was scrapped because it dealt with Osama Bin Laden, or so I heard. Hey, isn't this show executive produced by Wolfgang Petersen?
Yeah, it is ... which surprised me. It's certainly not his style from a directorial perspective, but "Executive Producer" can range from "guy doing ALL the work" to "guy who has famous name and does nothing" so who knows what kind of influence he has with this show. I may give it another shot simply because I like the actors. The episode we saw certainly wasn't "punchy" - it just kind of "was".

das
Old 09-29-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I can almost cross off "The Agency" off the list, as much as I like to stare at Paige Turco, I think this show is just going to run itself into the ground with its "I've seen this espionage thriller" angle of the week.

If I heard one more reference to the brother of Matt (Gil Bellows, who is as interesting as watching paint dry) I was going to throw a TV brick at the TV.
Old 10-01-01, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I try to give all shows (with a premise I find interesting) a chance. So I gave this one a chance - in fact, I go into it wanting to like all the shows I see. But about 15 minutes in I just couldn't take it anymore. The story was poorly written, the actors were not used effectively, the writing in general stunk - I was bored out of my mind. I watch too many great shows to have room in my schedule for any mediocre shows. This one is already crossed off of my list.
Old 10-03-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with everyone that the story was rather contrived, but in the show's defense, remember this:

This was not supposed to be the pilot, it should have come later. There was an establishing "pilot" episode, but they are retooling it because of references to Osama bin Laden.

If everyone saw the real pilot first, opinions might be more positive. Then again, that episode might be stupid also!
Old 10-06-01, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am enjoying this. It reminds me of Tom Clancy books, Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger in particular. So far, both episodes have been enjoyable enough for me to continue watching. I enjoy this spy/espionage stuff, so it's not hard to entertain me.