DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Anyone else give up on The Amazing Race? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/145674-anyone-else-give-up-amazing-race.html)

Boot 09-26-01 08:53 PM

Anyone else give up on The Amazing Race?

I watched it the first time, thought, "Not bad. Has potential."

I watched it the second time, thought, "It's gonna have to get better if I'm going to devote an hour a week to it."

I watched the first ten minutes of it the third time and thought, "Ooooo. A West Wing rerun." [Click]

It just seemed to be the same show over and over. Okay, everybody go here. Now go there. Now climb these steps and look over there. Okay, go there.

[Homer]Booooring.[/Homer]

das Monkey 09-26-01 08:55 PM

Re: Anyone else give up on The Amazing Race?

Originally posted by Boot
It just seemed to be the same show over and over. Okay, everybody go here. Now go there. Now climb these steps and look over there. Okay, go there.

Oh, you were watching Murder in Small Town X? LOOK BEHIND YOU!!! Whew ... thought it was the killer.

das

Jeraden 09-26-01 09:33 PM

Can someone post a spoiler of what happened tonight? I was watching Enterprise and didn't get to see it.

Chad 09-26-01 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Jeraden
Can someone post a spoiler of what happened tonight? I was watching Enterprise and didn't get to see it.
I missed it to, forgot to set a season pass on Tivo...was watching that damn Love Cruise and forgot about it being on. :grunt: Is there anywhere you can download past episodes?

Patman 09-27-01 09:29 AM

Last night's show: the 2 girlfriends (in their 40's) who used the fast forward pass last show came in last this show (they went to the wrong place to get their next clue. The bottom of the pack stayed at the bottom of the pack, but they have joined some sort of alliance of the "clueless". The New York guys wound up using the fast forward pass to skip to the front of the line. Frank and Margarite were 2nd, the lawyers were 3rd. Team Guido, so smug to be in a city they lived in (Paris) wound up in 4th place (the look on the faces was priceless). The old couple actually came in 5th. The, I forget who was 6th-8th (but among them was Lenny and his beeyotch, mom and daughter, Paul and Amie).

tofu 09-27-01 10:24 AM

i just tune in to see how long the grandparents will last. just when i think that they're going to get eliminated, they always seem to stay in the race.

http://www.mightybigtv.com/show.cgi?show=76
mightybigtv has some great recaps of shows.

Collin 09-27-01 12:51 PM

Those two New York guys should have their own show. Always pretty fun watching them.

Patman 09-27-01 08:34 PM

I think the major problem with this show is that there's not enough "strategizing/back-stabbing" that's planned out, it's too chaotic, everyone is on the run all the time. In Survivor, at least there's plenty of interpersonal interplay where each person is playing a mental game with each of the other survivors. In Amazing Race, the stragglers just hang together, and the only "plotting" that goes on with the lead groups are just a little of who's going to give who the "slip" and gain a slight advantage on each leg.

Iron Chef 10-18-01 07:12 AM

Team Guido needs to get eliminated. :mad: THey are such a bunch of jerks.

Blaster1 10-18-01 07:54 AM

team guido are *******s, i can't believe they did that **** at the airport, they are pathetic

Patman 10-18-01 12:43 PM

Say what you will, but team Guido is giving the viewers someone to root against. Every "drama" needs a villain for it to remain compelling.

That "violence" undertone that team Guido tried putting out there was pretty sad.

I wished they'd get to some warm climate so we get to check out Emily some more in tight-fitting tops. :)

I did think I'd get tired of Frank and Margarite, but Frank's calmed down a bit.

Lenny and Karyn still crack me up.

The NY guys are still funny.

Mom and daughter are getting by on charm and hard work.

The lawyers started strong, but are just so-so.

Team Guido are pretty wiley, but a bad break will get them tossed out of this game, and I will cackle when that day comes.

Gandalf 10-18-01 01:02 PM

I am also still watching this, although I never catch the episode from the beginning. I lost the Team Guido shuffle at the airport, so I didn't know who to believe. I guess they are the villains after all.

The two black couples who seemed quite apart in the beginning are coming together pretty well. I still don't like the frat boys. They are the perfect illustration of inculture and superficiality, but... they are funny, indeed.
I think I like the lawyers best. They're not as bright as I thought they would be, but they are probably the closest to how I would've played the game. :)
Mom and daughter... also a bit surprised to see them get that far with all the tension between them... Team Guido... very competitive, quite intelligent, but, if they are indeed the "villains" in the airport incident, then they are sore losers, which is what I hate most.

I was happy to see the grandparents couple make it halfway through the game. They were obviously not candidates for winning the whole thing, but they played a very straight and full of modesty game which I appreciated a lot. They were not exciting or funny to watch I guess, but I would love to be in their position when I'm their age :)

tofu 10-18-01 01:23 PM

all the other teams need to gang up on team guido. those guys are evil although they are the most harmless evil guys that i've ever seen. (the matching outfits just seem to negate their evil ways and make them more pathetic than anything). i really hope they lose. but i guess it just shows you what money can do to some people unless they're actually a******s in real life

that race car ride looked awesome. if i was there, i would have asked to drive :D

what i'm trying to figure out tho is how the big NY guy fit into that tiny car. it was like a matchbox.

so who has a fast forward left?
frank-margarita and lenny-karyn and team guido

is that it?

Jboone 10-18-01 05:43 PM

Lenny needs to sprout a pair and and get Karyn on a more even keel. He seems in pain throughout.

It's good to see Frank has taken it down a notch.

Drew and Kevin are a hoot but their 'ugly American' attitudes do seem somewhat grating in light of recent international events.

I'm glad to see paul and Aimee out of it. Was Aimee trying to out-Elizabeth Elizabeth.

Yes- Team Guido are the villians and every good story needs one. Let's hope they hang around long enough to get what's coming to them.

big whoppa 10-18-01 08:11 PM

Team Guido give homos a bad name. :D Someone should kick their ass.

I've caught 3 shows. Just OK. They should have called it "The Average Race."