DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The don't mess with Superman poll (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/139651-dont-mess-superman-poll.html)

PhYbEr 09-05-01 12:09 AM

The don't mess with Superman poll

I just can't see the WB making a good show, much less reviving Superman

Venusian 09-05-01 12:53 AM

lois and clark was good...but then again that wasn't the WB

TheBang 09-05-01 03:56 AM

For those that don't know, the new show is called Smallville. See here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=134022

It features a young Clark Kent growing up, and will NOT feature the Superman costume and persona.

I'll give it a try, but I'm still watching Lois and Clark re-runs on TNT.

elektra 09-05-01 05:30 AM

Too bad they won't cast Terri Hatcher and Dean Cain for the movie.

junkie 09-05-01 10:05 AM

I think this is a terrible idea, no costume and he can't fly

twikoff 09-05-01 10:24 AM

hell no

next thing you know, we will have crossovers between superman and dawson's creek

just what we need!

Meatpants 09-05-01 11:12 AM

I'd have to go w/ don't care. If they have some kind of Smallville/Angel/Felicity crossover, it won't change my mental image of Superman one bit.

HN 09-05-01 11:28 AM

smallville/angel crossover would be trippy--young superman meets rumoured young batman.....hmm

--HN

Geofferson 09-05-01 12:11 PM

I think it's cool. It will be interesting to see what they make of it.

raKim 09-05-01 11:06 PM

Originally posted by elektra
It's not even funny how much I would LOVE that........:)

ClarkKentKY 09-05-01 11:21 PM

I'm scared... I'm afraid they're going to turn it into "dawson's cape" or "clark, lois, luthor, and a pizza place"

But i'll give it a try... :)

Numanoid 09-06-01 05:11 PM

Hasn't this been done already? Bring back The Adventures of Superboy !

Fur Q 09-07-01 12:51 PM

Originally posted by elektra
i would LOVE to see that! and i'm looking forward to Smallville. it could be really great. Clark Kent is far more interesting as a character than Superman. i love the 'crippled by Krytonite' bits from earlier Superman shows/movies. it's a bit dull when he always has his superpowers to fall back on.

Y2K Falcon 12-22-05 01:19 PM

Bump.

Just thought this thread was an interesting read 4 years later. :lol:

Anybody's opinion change? ;)

Slayer2005 12-22-05 05:34 PM

Holy God this thread is freakin old! lol. How'd you even find this? :lol:

Kal-El 12-22-05 05:50 PM

Well I have to say I was very very skeptical at first. No tights? No flights? No glasses? This isn't even Clark Kent!

All of it changed though after I watched the pilot. It won me over and I'm still a follower of the show upto today.

calhoun07 12-22-05 06:06 PM

I was also skeptical at first, but knew we were in for something fairly good when Lex hit Clark with his car in the first episode.

riley_dude 12-22-05 06:55 PM

I enjoy the show a lot. Much better than I had ever thought.
Looking at Tom Welling for a hour each week is a good thing too.

nightwing82 12-22-05 07:57 PM

Lois & Clark was still better! :D

Slayer2005 12-22-05 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by nightwing82
Lois & Clark was still better! :D

:lol:

Michael Corvin 12-23-05 06:11 AM

Damn. I read the first post and was thinking it was going to be Smallville 2. Clarks big adventure in Metropolis.

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Well I have to say I was very very skeptical at first. No tights? No flights? No glasses? This isn't even Clark Kent!

I've always found that part intriguing, and wanted to give the show a shot I just never did. I just watched season 1 for the first time the past couple weeks. I love it. The acting is amazing. The casting of John Schnieder was very inspired. he is great as Jonathan. I love all the off the cuff remarks that tie into the mythology as well, or hints at future things to come. Clark's "Man of Tomorrow" campaign at school. Chloe telling him he looks good in blue, stuff like that. Very well done.

The only thing that bothers me about the show is the freak of the week aspect. Other than the season finale there is no grand strory arc(discounting Clarks pining for Lana), not even a two parter.

Ayre 12-23-05 07:04 AM

The first season seems to have the most freak of the weak and few story arcs.

The second half of the first season through the first half of the second season (follow that if you can) has some of the best epsiodes back to back. The show gets uneven after that, but always manages to redeem itself.

nightwing82 12-23-05 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
:lol:

I'll take Frog-eating Lois over Clark Kent Creek anyday :P

I really gave Smallville a chance too... several seasons.

Iron_Giant 12-23-05 09:45 AM

Love the show. I think I have watched every show and I own Seasons 1-3, I hope Season 4 shows up under the christmas tree.

Chew 12-23-05 09:48 AM

Pretty much the only episodes that hold any interest for me anymore are the season premieres and finales. I think I'm still watching out of a "I'm a comic geek and I need to" mentality.