Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

what seasons did X-files and Simpsons begin to suck?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-01, 08:15 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted to know which seasons to avoid
Old 09-04-01, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never heard of either shows before in my life. Any good? What have the critics said?
Old 09-04-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The X-Files is all downhill from season 5 on.
Old 09-04-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh yes, if my mod petition had been successful, I would have moved this to TV forum.
Old 09-04-01, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
x files - when mulder left

simpsons - wont ever suck
Old 09-04-01, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Simpsons has never sucked! (Some episodes are not as good as other obviously, but they are all pretty good)...

See ya in the Television forum soon, very soon
Old 09-04-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
1st season
and
1st season

Old 09-04-01, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
simpsons - wont ever suck
Agreed.

X-Files - no particular episode - it just seemed to lose direction there for a while, although Patrick has been pretty good (IMO). It's not the same show, but then neither is the Simpsons and it (again, IMO) is as strong as ever. You get the occasional weak story, but when you've done as many episodes as they have, it will tire a lot easier.
Old 09-04-01, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by GuessWho
1st season
and
1st season

your opinions
Old 09-04-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk God

just curious..

knowing that most of us are big time simpsons fans.. was this thread started for the simple purpose of trolling?
Old 09-04-01, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
X-Files - Couldn't tell ya, never saw it.

The Simpsons - Why you little...! (choking IC_Freeze ala Homer)
Old 09-05-01, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my opinion, THE SIMPSONS has always been funny and amazing has continued to be a quality show, even after all of these years.

THE X-FILES... hmmm... In my opinion, The X-Files lost steam after the 5th season. That summer, we had the theatrical film, then the 6th season started with a bunch of weird "semi-comedy" episodes that didn't really represent the show very well. (I thought this was a strange decision because I presume that a lot of people decided to check out the show for the first time after the summer... and they were shown very mediocre episodes.)

The 6th and 7th seasons were both pretty bad (compared to previous ones). There were a few great episodes, and some that were pretty good, but the show was definitely beating the death drum. I was really hoping that they would just end it... but ratings (and money) talks. So, we got the 8th ("Where's Mulder"?) season. And now a 9th. And probably a 10th (without either Mulder or Scully).

In all honesty, the 8th season was better than the 6th or 7th, with some really good stand-alone shows. But The X-Files without Mulder (and soon, without Scully) just isn't The X-Files. They should just end it now and make some theatrical films.

Anyway, the short answer to your question is that Season 6 is where The X-Files began to "suck" (IMO, of course).
Old 09-05-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After Season 5 the X-Files tanked.
Old 09-05-01, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The day the production gave in to David Duchovny's demands to move the shoot from Vancouver to L.A., "X-Files" completely tanked. This began at the comedy-fest-that-wasn't-funny that was the 6th season. Every episode looks like it was shot in the same bland suburban subdivision.

"The Simpsons" limps along with an occasional funny premise or snide remark - but it hasn't hit its marks nearly as consistently as the far superior "Futurama" since that future farce came on the air.
Old 09-05-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: what seasons did X-files and Simpsons begin to suck?

Originally posted by IC_Freeze
just wanted to know which seasons to avoid
You're obviously not a dedicated fan of the X-Files.
Old 09-05-01, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by grunter

"The Simpsons" limps along with an occasional funny premise or snide remark - but it hasn't hit its marks nearly as consistently as the far superior "Futurama" since that future farce came on the air.

the simpsons remarks might bother me more, if you hadnt complimented futurama... i laughed once during futurama, and that was because one of my friends made a joke while it was on.
Old 09-06-01, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by twikoff

the simpsons remarks might bother me more, if you hadnt complimented futurama... i laughed once during futurama, and that was because one of my friends made a joke while it was on.
IMO, The 1st season of the Simpsons was not good at all. Someone once mentioned that the show sucked until the producers realized that the comedic center of the show was Homer and not Bart. I couldn't agree more. Once the characters (and show in general) started being more individualized and less centered around Bart the real funny stuff started to happen.

As for Futurama, personally, this show is superior to the Simpsons in all aspects. I can't wait for the DVD The Simpsons sometimes makes you think a bit in order to get a joke. I saw that ep the other day where Sideshow Bob (Kelsey Grammer) is with his brother (David Hyde Pierce) and they're building a dam, his brother makes a reference to Maurice. If you don't watch Frasier you'd totally miss the joke. I watch it and it had me rolling on the floor. Just an example.
Futurama is for us dumb people, because thinking hurts my brain.

-E
Old 09-06-01, 09:04 AM

I think the Simpsons has been notably weaker since... (drum roll) the episode where George Bush Sr. moved in across the street. They had been on a major roll, with incredible episode after incredible episode, but this one fell short a bit. Since then, there have been flashes of brilliance, but nothing like Apu getting fired from the Quick E Mart and other classics. IMHO.
Old 09-06-01, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
X-Files season 5 and onward.

The Simpsons is definitely weaker than it was. If you look at the old episodes (1994 or 1995), they had so much funny material per episode that they shortened the opening credit sequence. Now they always run the long credits and still need padding.
Old 09-06-01, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Easy, the X Files 6th season. Simpsons 9 or 10. Of course, there are still a smattering of decent episodes here and there, but its few and far between.

Yes, the season after the X Files film had its idividual moments, but as a whole stunk compared to their previous work and just got worse.

Simpsons lost a bunch of the regular writers that made the show funny and surreal and strange, and started having serious themed episodes like Milhouses Parents geting a divorce or Maude Flanders dying, an over reliance on the 'lets have Homer'- Be in the Navy, be the town Waste Disposal Cheif, ec, and this weird thought that they have to capitalize on trends like boy bands and such.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 09-06-01 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-07-01, 11:31 AM
Banned

X-Files Seasons rated out of 10:

Season 1: (7.5/10)
Season 2: (9/10)
Season 3: (10/10)
Season 4: (8/10)
Season 5: (7/10)
Season 6: (7.5/10)
Season 7: (5/10)
Season 8: (7/10)
Old 09-07-01, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by grunter
The day the production gave in to David Duchovny's demands to move the shoot from Vancouver to L.A., "X-Files" completely tanked. This began at the comedy-fest-that-wasn't-funny that was the 6th season. Every episode looks like it was shot in the same bland suburban subdivision.

Totally agree. Since Matt moved over to Futurama it seems as if The Simpsons has really lost its way. I can still watch the older episodes and laugh at the quality writing and discover new things. The more recent episodes tend to focus more on violence as humour than good/surreal writing.

The first season of The Simpsons really doesn't reflect the rest of the series any more than the shorts from the Tracey Ullman show. The second season is a little shaky as well, but with the first Hallowe'en episode from season 2 they knew they had gold. Seasons 3 - 6 are probably the greatest string of consistently funny episodic television ever, with almost every episode hitting on all cylinders.

Seasons 6 - 9 have more than their share of excellent episodes as well, but have a fair number of clunkers in there as well. Past season 9 it becomes kind of hit and miss, trending towards miss. Of course, YMMV.