Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Excluse sports tv deals: fair?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Are exclusive sports tv packages fair?
Yes, it's fair.
42.86%
No, it's not fair.
57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-01, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't seem fair that only DirecTV carries Major League Baseball packages, for example. If someone wants to catch their favorite out of town team, they've got to go with satellite? That's not right. Why don't they work deals with cable providers as well? I've got Comcast digital cable and I would have thought that would be possible.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-31-01, 08:51 AM

it doesn't really matter

fair or unfair to the viewer, this is one of the primary ways that satellite companies get subscribers. If you want baseball, you will need to get DirecTV service. That's why these companies throw millions at these leagues. ESPN, for instance, knows that it can't make back the money spent on NFL football from commercials alone; they built a whole stable of support programming (NFL Primetime, NFL 2Nite, etc) to make back their investment.
Old 08-31-01, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Yeah it sucks, but back in 1998, the NFL did not see deep digital cable penetration into the major markets. Hopefully when DirectTVs Sunday Ticket contract runs out after 2002, the NFL will be smart enough not to do an exclusive deal and offer the rights to cable companies for broadcast on digital cable.

The MLB package is offered on my digital cable system. I have Comcast as well, so I don't know why your Comcast doesn't offer it.
Old 08-31-01, 11:26 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Never really thought about it before. I think it's fair though. For those who want it, they need to pay the extra money to get it.
Old 08-31-01, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The MLB package is on digital cable. At least it is on mine (Time-Warner Digital).

The only package I can't get is the one I want most, NFL Sunday Ticket. Sigh..... But I can get the NCAA Basketball and Football, NHL, NBA, and MLB packages with digital.