Announcement: Babylon 5 airings on Sci-Fi restart Thursday, August 22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-22-01, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"And so it begins ..."

For those who don't read our ongoing Babylon 5 thread, I wanted to let you know that the widescreen airings on the Sci Fi channel will be starting from the beginning once more this Thursday, August 22, 2001 at 7pm. They will begin with the two-hour telefilm "The Gathering" split across two nights and then start airing the series in order every evening at 7pm EST.

While I've heard of people not liking this show, I've never actually met one, and everyone (yes everyone) I've talked into watching it has quickly become an avid fan. I suggest anyone who hasn't been exposed to this universe should give it a chance. It will be worth it.

A word of caution: the first season is uneven and not all the episodes are that good, but the character development is essential to what occurs later in the show. Trust me - it's worth it.

Someone was once kind enough to tell me to remove my head from my ass and watch this show, and I feel compelled to spread the word. If one person on this Forum starts watching it from the beginning for the first time, the Sci-Fi airing discussion can continue. This is both entertaining and profound television, and hopefully someone new will find the joy so many of us in this forum have found with it.

das
Old 08-22-01, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I'll give it a shot. Just set the Tivo to start recording it. If it sucks, you're gonna have hell to pay!
Old 08-22-01, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haha ... I'll risk it. Make sure you're not planning on watching tonight's episode, though. It's the series finale, and well, that wouldn't be good.

Just make sure you keep an open mind through the first season, and try your best to see every episode. Don't worry, though - once you're hooked, you'll rework your entire life to see each episode and twitch in the corner for the 23 hours it's not on.

I hope you enjoy it.

das
Old 08-22-01, 08:17 PM

I couldn't agree more with the previous posts. If you can get through the first season things will fall into place starting with the finale for the first season and the story really gets moving after that.

BTW, I think they should have started with the movie "In the Beginning" since I think that sets up "The Gathering" better but that's just me. Although I understand why they did that from a character standpoint. But if anyone is interested you could probably rent it from your local video store since it's not available on DVD yet. Unless Sci-Fi is planning on showing that movie again?

Chris
Old 08-22-01, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to chime in and agree with das. I was the "newbie" to the B5 universe this latest time around, and let's just say it now ranks as my single favorite TV show.

So, those of you who haven't watched it...give it a chance. It's an amazing show.

"It was the dawn of the third age of mankind. Ten years after the Earth-Minbari War. The Babylon Project was a dream given form. Its goal: to prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call. A home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal - all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place but it's our last, best hope for peace. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5."
Old 08-23-01, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to add a clarification here. While it's true that the first season is probably the weakest of the five that doesn't mean that it's bad. It's still better than 95% of any other sf television and 80-90% of any televsion series. "Not as good" is relative to B5, not television series in general. There are reasons why it's the weakest season, just keep in mind that it gets even better.
Old 08-23-01, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rand
I'd like to add a clarification here. While it's true that the first season is probably the weakest of the five that doesn't mean that it's bad. It's still better than 95% of any other sf television and 80-90% of any televsion series. "Not as good" is relative to B5, not television series in general. There are reasons why it's the weakest season, just keep in mind that it gets even better.
Yes, my apologies if I was misleading in my comments. I've just known some people to give up on it during the first season. Later, during reruns and due to peer pressure, they'd give the show a second chance and soon adopt it as God's finest creation. They'd scream, "why didn't someone tell me how much better it gets?!?!"

My fear was that someone would hear the hype of how great the show is, then start watching Season #1 and have unfair expectations for it and then think to themselves, "well, it's good, but it's not *that* good" and give up before getting to the best parts.

Like you said, Season #1 does stand fine on its own merits. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

das