Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DirecTV and the WWF (heard at Summerslan)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-01, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any of you that watched Summerslam last night, did you hear JR talk about how this was the last PPV that will be shown on DTV? He said to check out the WWF homepage, but I found nothing relating to it. However, I did go to one of the wrestling sites I frequent. Here is the story:

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/articles/2308.shtml

Any of you that have DTV and buy the WWF PPVs should go to DTV's web site and e-mail them or call them and talk about your displeasure that DTV will no longer have WWF PPVs because they want more money. I think the percentage of DTV viewers of WWF PPVs in that newstory was low though, I think DTV makes up more than 15 percent of the total.

We know how powerful the WWF fan contingent can be and hopefully we will be able to sway DTV and the WWF into an agreement so we can continue to watch PPVs. Thanks for your time.
Old 08-20-01, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Do they actually do any wrestling during these events?
Old 08-20-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a tough call. I don't like the idea of DirecTV bitching about money, but at the same time, the fact they expect us to pay $30 - $40 for one crappy PPV after another is really starting to annoy me. When I split the cost 5 ways, I still don't feel I'm getting my money's worth anymore. The cards are average, the headliners can't wrestle well enough to put on a true main event like the old days, and the only thing different about a PPV is whatever the real workers like the Hardys or RVD are doing. It's not worth the money anymore. I don't know what DirecTV's deal is, but I'm certainly not going to grab a sign and start protesting what I think is already a waste of money.

das
Old 08-20-01, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
well, the P.P.V's are pretty much the butter to the bread of the wrestling story lines, and i will be the first to admit it, those story lines at times are addicting.

as for DTV, that sucks, but hey, WWF PPV's are the top selling PPV's out there. wwf wanted to get a new contract on it, DTV didn't want to. so thats that. they will realize what they are missing. as for me. i have plenty of sources to get wrestling tapes, so it doesn't effect me if i have to spend 15 bucks on a bootleg tape the next day then spending 30 bucks to watch it live.
Old 08-20-01, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please do not call and bitch to DirecTv, I have to field those calls. I can tell you that DirecTv already knows that they have a number of WWF fans and next months ppv is scheduled. The contract won't affect the ppv until the show after next.
Old 08-20-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, it was said last night that Summerslam was the LAST DTV PPV. They re-iterated that Unforgiven will not be shown on DTV. Are you saying that DTV has made a new contract and that WWF PPVs won't be cut out or are you saying that starting with No Mercy there will be no WWF PPVs on DTV? I may rethink and jump over to your competition if this happens. And I've been a DTV subscriber for many years as have my friends that I watch the PPVs with.