DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Samurai Jack, tonight (8/10/01) on Cartoon Network

Sounds like a very cool show, here's a review:

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertai...ck08102001.htm
Old 08-10-01, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I thought that this was coming on at 8. I don't want to start the show late. Is it being replayed anytime this weekend? Maybe I'll tape it.
Old 08-10-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's being replayed again at 8:30, but I guess that's a little late for you now.

Still, I have say, I really enjoyed it. Some great action.

Check it out.

Tuan Jim
Old 08-10-01, 09:50 PM
Needs to provide a working email

There was a piece on the show on BBC/NPR's "The World" radio news program today. Of course I couldn't see the video, but the voices and dialogue made me shudder. As did the premise of the show. Sounded very, very bad to me.
Old 08-10-01, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't speak for anybody else, but I loved it. I watched it both times it was on tonight, back to back. Thought it was fresh and the animation was great. Very interesting storyline with more than its share of action and laughs. During the whole time the hip-hop things were talking street and calling him Jack, I was laughing so damn hard. Anybody else who saw it knows what i am talking about and hopefully understands. I enjoyed it so much I hope that Cartoon Network will consider releasing this pilot episode on DVD along with that little featurette they aired after it and maybe a couple more extras.

Bottom line for me, thumbs way up and I will be a loyal viewer on Monday nights as long as they keep up the good work.
Old 08-11-01, 12:06 AM

I saw the last part (and the first part of the replay). I liked it a lot. The animation was good, the action was great and Jack is probaly the coolest hero since Ash.
When I first heard about it, I thought it was going to be a goofy cartoon, kinda like Johnny Bravo, but they pushed the limits for a childrens show. For example, the way Jack was covered in the spiderbots 'blood' was well done and got the point across without being gruesome.

D
Old 08-11-01, 07:39 AM

Wow, wow and again...wow! I thought this was a terrific piece of work. Beautiful animation, great character design, wonderful backgrounds and some of the best music James Venable has done for an animated series.

Add to that a really good POWERPUFF GIRLS on afterwards and a couple of cool JUSTICE LEAGUE promos and you had one great night on the Cartoon Network.
Old 08-11-01, 05:02 PM
Cool New Member

I wasn't home. Anybody know when it will be on again:consfused:
Old 08-11-01, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Derrich
I saw the last part (and the first part of the replay). I liked it a lot. The animation was good, the action was great and Jack is probaly the coolest hero since Ash.
When I first heard about it, I thought it was going to be a goofy cartoon, kinda like Johnny Bravo, but they pushed the limits for a childrens show. For example, the way Jack was covered in the spiderbots 'blood' was well done and got the point across without being gruesome.

D
Damn, where's the love for Johnny Bravo? I constantly see that one get criticized. Still one of my favorite Cartoon Network cartoons. Got a great wacky sense of humor that appeals to me for some reason.
Old 08-13-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was a little disappointed. Of course, I’m biased when it comes to all things samurai (hence my username), but I’m a big animation nut too and have liked Taratovsky’s work since Two Stupid Dogs.

The opening of the series was freaking brilliant, just magnificent, the setup, Jack growing up/training, all done to music, no dialogue, wonderful animation, a high class act. Then it took a turn for the worse...
***First of all, he opens his mouth and its a Caucasian voice, not an Asian one. Bad enough he goes by the name Jack, but they have to give him the wrong accent.
***Then the whole future business is tired. Look we’re doing a scene like Fifth Element, and heres one like Star Wars, and the premise is sort of lifted from Frank Miller’s Ronin, as well as the fact that we already have Batman Beyond on the air with similar simplistic future designs.
***And heres the part that really killed me- Thirty mins or more into the show, it takes a 180 degree turn and has cartoony humor, with the dogs and such. I thought (and it felt like) it was going to be slightly more mature and not sink to the kiddie level. Injecting the silliness just made it seem to all over the place, like it cant decide what age group it wants to appeal.

Yeah, I’ll give it a shot. Its cool, but it could be better if they just took it to the next level and didn’t try to win over the Powerpuff Girls/Dexter kids. I love those shows, but Jack should be more; I think it would benefit from being sophisticated on every level, the humor is a step backward compared to the rest of it.

Oh yeah, I did love the Thundar the Barbarian reference.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 08-13-01 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-13-01, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I thought it was sad that my favorite part of the whole thing was seeing Ooklah's "horse" have a featured role. & I would've liked Jack's voice to have been done by a Japanese guy instead of a black guy - but what was worse was how often he looked so much like the professor from The Powerpuff Girls... I wanted to like this show but it just didn't seem to click with me. The story was good but the style didn't fit. It was weird to see the little featurette with everyone so proud of everything that I thought didn't work. It all looked too much like Powerpuff & Dexter. I appreciate the experimentation with speed, sound (& lack of), & picture size, etc. but I don't think it really worked. It was slow when I would've made it fast & fast when I would've made it slow. I like samurai movies & I even like limited animation (like 60s Captain America) but I didn't think this was very cool or the action very exciting & it really bothered me that the voice of the villain didn't match the movement of the mouth (though it was a great voice). & I thought there were lots of places that could've been very funny if handled by others. I expect to try another episode or two at least.
Old 08-13-01, 09:15 PM

Why should he have an Asian voice or be voiced by an Asian actor? I thought he was raised around the world if I remember right. Would he still have an Asian accent after being raised in all those different areas? I think it smacks of nitpicking anyways. I never knew it was a black man voicing the character until I saw the featurette. I also remember hearing that the creators sought out that voice so that it would be more Clint Eastwood-like than anything else.

It seems to me those people more upset with it were expecting it to be more adult and are more into Samurai stuff. I absolutely loved it and watched it with my daughter tonight. I'm glad they made it the way they did so that it appeals to both old and young and I will be a regular viewer. I guess it's all relative because all that stuff they were "so proud of" in the featurette, I found worked really well and enjoyed.

I personally lost it in tonight's episode when he pulled the hair pin out of his hair and it all fell down around his head so he looked like a drowned rat. Very funny stuff and an excellent sense of style and animation in this series. If only everything out there was made to the quality this has been so far.