Reload this Page >

Fawlty towers question....

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-08-01, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many episodes of Fawlty towers are there in total? The dvd box set at amazon mentions 12 episodes, but amazon also lists 3 individual dvd's that only seem to have a total of 9 episodes. What's the deal here? Were there only 12 episodes ever made?

here's the link to amazon's boxset:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...05LC1H/dvdtalk
Old 08-09-01, 12:01 AM

There's 4 episodes on each disc, not 3.

Disc 1) Touch Of Class, Builders, Wedding Party, Hotel Inspectors
Disc 2) Gourmet Night, Germans, Communication Problems, Psychiatrist
Disc 3) Waldorf Salad, Kipper And The Corpse, Anniversery, Basil The Rat
Old 08-09-01, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, huzefa, there were only 12 episodes made, six episodes for each of two seasons, with those seasons separated by 4 years. The first run was in 1975, with the second in 1979.

Ain't British television grand?

Disc one is entirely first "season" episodes, disc two is split between the two and disc 3 has the final four eps of the 1979 run.
Old 08-09-01, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fanboy
Yes, huzefa, there were only 12 episodes made, six episodes for each of two seasons, with those seasons separated by 4 years. The first run was in 1975, with the second in 1979.

Ain't British television grand?

Disc one is entirely first "season" episodes, disc two is split between the two and disc 3 has the final four eps of the 1979 run.
Oh, I don't know why I didn't see there were 4 episodes on each disc, but I didn't know (for sure) that there were only 12 episodes made. That seems weird, considering all the times I've seen the show, I was laughing my ass off. Does any know why only 12 were made?
Old 08-09-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by huzefa
Does any know why only 12 were made?
Quality, not quantity, I'd say. The Brits seem pretty good about knowing when to stop with classic shows (Black Adder, The Young Ones, etc.) and not running them into the ground like we have a tendency to do (Friends, 3rd Rock from Sun, Mad About You, etc.) While it's a bummer there aren't more episodes I do like that every single one of the 12 is a classic, I'd rather have the 12 episodes they really put their heart into than 30 ones that were more average.
Old 08-09-01, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sierra Disc

Quality, not quantity, I'd say. The Brits seem pretty good about knowing when to stop with classic shows (Black Adder, The Young Ones, etc.) and not running them into the ground like we have a tendency to do (Friends, 3rd Rock from Sun, Mad About You, etc.) While it's a bummer there aren't more episodes I do like that every single one of the 12 is a classic, I'd rather have the 12 episodes they really put their heart into than 30 ones that were more average.
That's really cool. Atleast I won't be fretting about not having the remaining seasons yet, like with Sopranos.
Old 08-10-01, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc

I've only ever watched 2 episodes of this show and those two were great. I'm glad to hear that they all should be at this high level. I preordered this set as soon as it went up just to get the one episode I saw. I was amazed that this small set was the entire series but I guess I'm in for 12 really good shows. I'm looking forward to this set.