DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Thats my Bush - Canceled...... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/130838-thats-my-bush-canceled.html)

Gizmo 08-02-01 05:57 PM

Thats my Bush - Canceled......

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?19673

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - "That's My Bush!" is officially a lame duck on Comedy Central.

Despite rave reviews and strong ratings, the live-action sitcom spoof from "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone won't be back for a second season.

Comedy Central has renewed Martin Short's "Primetime Glick," which averages lower ratings than "Bush!" but also costs less to produce. "That's My Bush!" costs $700,000 per episode, according to Broadcasting and Cable.

"It's a matter of economics and financials," confirms Comedy Central rep Lisa Chader. "The show was a critical and creative success."

It nevertheless managed to garner a fair amount of controversy during its short reign. The real George W. Bush reportedly threatened a libel suit if Parker and Stone made the Bush daughters lesbian lovers, as they'd originally planned.

The episodes tend to walk (and arguably cross) the fine line inherent to satirical political commentary. In the premiere, the leader of a pro-life group was portrayed as a 30-year-old fetus in a tiny suit and a comb-over. Drugs and the death penalty have also received irreverent send-ups on the series.

Chader says Stone and Parker are still dedicated to the concept, and are working on a script for a possible feature film based on the same premise, which transplants the First Family into a cheesy, wacky sitcom. Comedy Central will likely be involved with the movie in some capacity.

Bust 08-02-01 07:12 PM

:(

Adboy151 08-02-01 07:58 PM

Great concept... it just never found it's stride IMO.

matta 08-02-01 08:14 PM

damn... that was such a good show.

elektra 08-02-01 08:55 PM

I love it! Man am I bumming. What's the matter GWB, does the truth hurt?

Boot 08-02-01 09:33 PM

Originally posted by elektra
What's the matter GWB, does the truth hurt?
You mean his daughters really ARE lesbian lovers? :eek:

If the name fits...

badger1997 08-03-01 12:33 AM

Reminds of something Janeane Garofalo said on the Daily Show tonight. What can you expect from a channel that promotes something like "Battle Bots" heavily, runs endless reruns of SNL and hypes movies like "Very Bad Things" as big events?

Once again a good television show on Comedy Central gets the axe. And this time it actually had good ratings and good reviews. Maybe if they are looking to save money they could can shows like "Don't Forget Your Toothbrush" and "Strip Mall" and especially "Prime Time Glick" and put that money toward good programming.

cineman 08-03-01 07:38 AM

Never liked it myself. Sorry to those who did.

Professor Frink 08-03-01 12:19 PM

Reminds of something Janeane Garofalo said on the Daily Show tonight. What can you expect from a channel that promotes something like "Battle Bots" heavily, runs endless reruns of SNL and hypes movies like "Very Bad Things" as big events?

badger1997,
Come on now! I actually do agree with the sentiment, but please don't throw "Battlebots " into the equation - that show is awesome!! :)

(FYI - for those of you out there who don't watch Battlebots or have stopped, this has been the best season yet so far!)

Slumbering Fist 08-03-01 01:12 PM

Originally posted by badger1997

Yeah, I'm in total agreement. Every single show I like gets canned- The Vacant Lot, Exit 57, Upright Citizens Brigade ,League of Gentlemen, Strangers with Candy, and the unforgivable cancelling of Mystery Science Theater (because the new network head "didnt get it" and didnt care about its high ratings and fan base, so he threw it out so they could show Revenge of the Nerds five times a week?). Something like Battlebots isnt even comedic, really, the premise has nothing to do with comedy; it should be on ESPN 8. Its sad.

As for turning Thats My Bush into some kind of feature movie, I cant think of anyone who would want to pay $8 to see that. Seems like a weak idea.

Apocrypha 08-03-01 01:48 PM

The thing about comedy central is at least we get a shot at seeing some great shows. Upright Citizens Brigade and Strangers with Candy were two of my favorites at least they showed them at all. As for Thats my Bush I enjoyed it mildly it seemed to be a one joke show that was actually better than it had any right to be. I hope Trey and Matt manage to get it turned into a Motion Picture: Bigger, Hairier and Uncensored Now thats My BUSH!!!-

nizzo 08-03-01 02:09 PM

Ive never did like it. It just seemed too goofy. I know it was meant to be that way, but not my cup o'tea.

Plastic 08-03-01 02:30 PM

Watch TV Funhouse instead. That is the dirtiest show I've seen in a long time (ok ok South Park). I can't believe they get away with some of that stuff - people must not be paying attention.

Derrich 08-04-01 01:34 AM

So let me get this straight...
Critics gave the show good reviews
The show got high ratings
So they decide to cancel it?

$700 grand an ep might be a tad high, but hell, Comedy Central has what, 4 maybe 5 original shows? (not counting clip shows)

TV Execs... proving Darwin wrong every day of the week.

D

Trout 08-04-01 02:08 PM

Originally posted by iaido

Something like Battlebots isnt even comedic, really, the premise has nothing to do with comedy; it should be on ESPN 8. Its sad.

I never understood why this show is on CC. As for that glick show, all I can do is roll my eyes (I never could stand Martin Short).

junkie 08-04-01 02:24 PM

They are trying to get a movie deal for Thats My Bush!. It is a shame that this show got cancelled.

Geofferson 08-04-01 07:13 PM

I saw only 2 episodes and it was OK. Just too goofy and the laughtrack really didn't work. It won't be a loss for me, but sorry for those for whom it will be. I know how it feels.

namja 08-05-01 02:13 AM

wish one of the major networks had the balls to pick up the show ...

Thunderball 08-05-01 11:37 AM

Originally posted by namja
wish one of the major networks had the balls to pick up the show ...
Unfortunately I can't see that happening. Too much political pressure. I can't help but wonder if that's why CC backed out

Londo 08-06-01 12:44 AM

Originally posted by Derrich
So let me get this straight...
Critics gave the show good reviews
The show got high ratings
So they decide to cancel it?
(edit)

TV Execs... proving Darwin wrong every day of the week.

D

Two Words...

Police Squad!

maybe the movie idea will work and start a franchise..

big whoppa 08-06-01 07:37 AM

Blame the cancellation on those right-wing conservatives! ;)