Paul McGann (1996-????)
3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Favourite DOCTOR WHO?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-01, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favourite DOCTOR WHO?

I've decided this topic does need some feedback, and I wanted to try out the new poll feature. Vote and feel free to add comments. We all know Tom Baker will win this one, but it'll be interesting to see who else is popular among the DVDtalkers. Is it true that you're favourite Doctor will always be the one you grew up with?

Not for me. I grew up with Sylvester McCoy but love Tom Baker.

Here are visual reminders for you:

William Hartnell (1963-1966)

Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)

Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)

Tom Baker (1975-1981)

Peter Davison (1981-1984)

Colin Baker (1984-1986)

Sylvester McCoy (1984-1996)

Paul McGann (1996-????)
Old 07-17-01, 08:23 AM

I first started watching and they were showing Peter Davidson. Since then I've seen every episode from Jon Pertwee through sylvester McCoy I've seen most of the first two doctors but not all.

God bless PBS
Old 07-17-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Grew up with Tom Baker, and have only seen the Doc's 5 and 7 a handfull of times, and the latest Doc when the Sci Fi channel showed his only feature Sunday. But look at the spike in the poll and its pretty obvious they reached a peak with Baker. He really brought something to the role, and they had people like Douglas Adams on the staff for awhile, so until they try to revive it, the Baker years are going to be the pinnacle.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 07-17-01 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-17-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally posted by iaido
Grew up with Tom Baker, and have only seen the Doc's 5 and 7 a handfull of times, and the latest Doc when the Sci Fi channel showed his only feature Sunday. But look at the spike in the poll and its pretty obvious they reached a peak with Baker. He really brought something to the role, and they had people like Douglas Adams on the staff for awhile, so until they try to revive it, the Baker years are going to be the pinnacle.

All that based on those slim results?

Anyway, I think it simply has to do with fact that most here grew up with T. Baker. I know I did.

But that doesn't necessarily mean he was THE BEST. T Baker was dry compared to Colin Baker and a few others.... IMHO.
Old 07-17-01, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two people actually voted for Colin Baker?

BTW: What happened to Peter Cushing? He didn't do the series, but he did the movie.
Old 07-18-01, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by naughty jonny
BTW: What happened to Peter Cushing? He didn't do the series, but he did the movie.
apologies for missing out Cushing. i just don't think of him as Doctor Who i suppose, because he was never in the TV series, and his films were just rehashed versions of TV episodes. i know McGann was in a movie as well but it was original (ish! ) and saw it on TV only plus he was the next regeneration of Who after McCoy.

can a mod add Cushing to the list please as i don't think i can do it myself (or am too stupid newbie to know how)??
Old 07-18-01, 12:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Colin Baker episodes were distinctly "edgy" and I remember at the time enjoying the change. It was a shame the producers messed him about and he quit the role because of an overlong production hiatus.

I've only seen the occasional restored Troughton and Hartnell episode so cannot judge them.

Tom Baker and Pertwee were good for different reasons: they were both markedly different personalities. The BBC had more money to spend when TB was around hence the higher production values, more off-world episodes etc.

Peter Davison was more the light comedy actor. I have't seen all his episodes but he does not stick in the mind particularly.

Sylvester McCoy started off with some very poor writing but the shows got better in his second season. I won't comment on the long gap between his last episode and the passable film.

For those interested, a radio-type episode with Mccoy and crew is being broadcast solely over the internet: Death Comes to Time
Old 07-19-01, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry... despite being a very faithful Whovian, I'm not going to vote on this poll. I just don't have a clear-cut favorite. As some of you have pointed out, each Doctor has brought with him something different. I appreciate the diversity in roles, and just cannot pick one over another. Sometimes I feel like watching Inferno or some other 3rd Doctor & UNIT adventure. Or later, I would feel like watching the Zygons. Or the next day, I'd feel like seeing Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant strangle each other. Just can't decide which is my absolute favorite.

I do have favorites though: Troughton, Pertwee, T. Baker, C. Baker. I really liked what they brought to the show. I haven't seen enough of the Hartnell episodes (I actually have all the ones that are in existence today but they're just sitting at home unwatched). The Davison stories were just too dull for me to like his era. McCoy... well, hard to figure him out. And McGann... forget about it.
Old 07-20-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom Baker

"Would you like a Jelly Baby?"
Old 07-22-01, 12:06 AM

bump

to encourage some weekend voting
Old 07-23-01, 12:38 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Autotelik
Sorry... despite being a very faithful Whovian, I'm not going to vote on this poll. I just don't have a clear-cut favorite. As some of you have pointed out, each Doctor has brought with him something different. I appreciate the diversity in roles, and just cannot pick one over another. Sometimes I feel like watching Inferno or some other 3rd Doctor & UNIT adventure. Or later, I would feel like watching the Zygons. Or the next day, I'd feel like seeing Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant strangle each other. Just can't decide which is my absolute favorite.

I do have favorites though: Troughton, Pertwee, T. Baker, C. Baker. I really liked what they brought to the show. I haven't seen enough of the Hartnell episodes (I actually have all the ones that are in existence today but they're just sitting at home unwatched). The Davison stories were just too dull for me to like his era. McCoy... well, hard to figure him out. And McGann... forget about it.
Sounds just me. I want to vote but I tend to like them all. Although my favorites would be Troughton,Pertwee,Tom Baker(of course he played the Doctor the longest!),Davison ,C.Baker and Mccoy. I cannot vote on just one of them,now if polls allowed more than one vote(like for something like this poll) I would vote. It's too difficult for me to vote on this subject as love "Doctor Who" and each actor brought something diiferent to his character!
Old 07-23-01, 06:58 PM

ok. who's the wise?
come on Mr laugh laugh!
own up funnee man!

i can't believe anyone would vote for McGann and mean it.
Old 07-23-01, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think it's time for a FEMALE DR. WHO.

Who would you cast?
Old 07-23-01, 08:09 PM

mods please delete this comment

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I think it's time for a FEMALE DR. WHO.

Who would you cast?
Doctor Who is a British show. please don't suggest silly PC American ideas like that. look what happened to Star Trek. (Voyager) i'd hate Who to become a multi-ethnic gender-friendly politically correct mess. that kind of stuff is always forced into shows without any plot-related reason and is inevitably bad for the long-term life of the show.

And as for a female Doctor Who, what next? or a disabled black lesbian James Bond with a speech impediment and thick-rimmed glasses?

[hmmm...wait a minute....lesbian James Bond ]

Last edited by Fur Q; 07-23-01 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-24-01, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Fur Q
Doctor Who is a British show. please don't suggest silly PC American ideas like that.
Don't forget the female Dr. Who (Joanna Lumley). Personally, I do tend to agree. Look at what happened to Red Dwarf when they bowed to pressure to introduce a female character. Personally, I think that Doctor Who did need to make some changes to "update" it to a 90s audience (a la Paul McGann), but some of them were just silly and WRONG (half human???). To PC the show would be to destroy a lot of it's charm.

Look at some of the Fawlty Towers stuff - if it were made today (even by the British), a lot of it would NOT make the final cut. Yet we continue to think of it as classic British comedy.

A politically correct Dr. Who would not be Doctor Who (or at least the Doctor Who the cult/current fan base relate to).

Cheers,
Jon.
Old 07-25-01, 04:11 AM

is that it? 30 Doctor Who fans on the whole of DVD Talk?
i thought it was a popular show. guess i was wrong.
Old 07-25-01, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh you all suck beans.

It's NOT some silly American idea.

I just want something different.
Old 07-25-01, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Fur Q
is that it? 30 Doctor Who fans on the whole of DVD Talk?
i thought it was a popular show. guess i was wrong.

Old fart attitudes like the ones posted about a female who is why there's only 30 or so fans of DR. WHO anywhere...
Old 07-26-01, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Old fart attitudes like the ones posted about a female who is why there's only 30 or so fans of DR. WHO anywhere...
dude, you totally misunderstood. i got no objection to there being a show about a female Time Lord. that's cool if the networks wanna do it. what i'm against is Doctor Who regenerating into a woman. it just wouldn't make sense creatively.