The Godfather on AMC tomorrow.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Godfather on AMC tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-01, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like they will be showing it along with Godfather II all day tomorrow. Cant decide if I'll watch or wait until the dvd comes out.
Old 07-03-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-04-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Problem with AMC is that they'll probably show is Pan and Scan and edit it for content.
Old 07-04-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
I beleive they'll also be showing the documentary on The Godfather that will be featured on the bonus disc of the set!
Old 07-04-01, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was very pissed to see that AMC was panning-and-scanning it. Especially when a lot of the clips in the promos they showed were in OAR and much of what was in that documentary was too! AMC is usually good about showing stuff in OAR, but today it was not to be. Nevertheless, finally got to see both I & II in their entirety (albeit panned-and-scanned and edited for content).
Old 07-04-01, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

LBPound: No. TCM always shows movies in its correct aspec ratio. AMC shows all widescreen movies twice. Early in Pan and Scam, and late in Letterbox. Some movies however, are ONLY shown in P&S for some reason. If they really cared about cinema, they'd show everything in widescreen. Too bad since they show alot FOX stuff, filmed in Cinemascope. The Robe P&S is NOT pretty.
Old 07-05-01, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

6:46am EST - widescreen presentation. Bigger than U.S. Steel. Language uncensored.

Old 07-05-01, 06:52 AM

Did anyone else catch that documentary before the Godfather? What a fawning fluff promotional piece. I was really disappointed. It has me thinking maybe I won't get the box set.....(cue hysterical laughter). Woo-hoo that was funny; just kidding of course. Still, I was hoping for a lot more fron "Inside the Godfather Family" than that!
Old 07-05-01, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tesiae
LBPound: No. TCM always shows movies in its correct aspec ratio. AMC shows all widescreen movies twice. Early in Pan and Scam, and late in Letterbox. Some movies however, are ONLY shown in P&S for some reason. If they really cared about cinema, they'd show everything in widescreen. Too bad since they show alot FOX stuff, filmed in Cinemascope. The Robe P&S is NOT pretty.
AMC shows widescreen when it's available. They run back to back with the P&S versions, as mentioned already.

Don't blame AMC for what they are showing. There isn't always a good widescreen version of a film available for broadcast to them. Thanks to DVD, more and more widescreen presentations are becoming available, and that is why AMC has begun showing more of them in the last couple of years.

TCM has the luxury of being owned by a studio and Turner bought MGM's (I believe it was MGM anyways) archive of films years ago. So, they can restore and have exclusive broadcasting rights to a lot of films, where as AMC can broadcast only what they buy.

AMC also generally doesn't edit for content. I watched pieces of both the P&S and widescreen Godfathers yesterday, and did not notice anything missing.
Old 07-05-01, 01:41 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by renaldow
I watched pieces of both the P&S and widescreen Godfathers yesterday, and did not notice anything missing.
Then you didnt watch the right pieces. The movies were edited for violence and language.
Old 07-05-01, 03:57 PM

He said they weren't edited for CONTENT, and they weren't. They were edited for language. It's a strange country we live in where it's OK to show someone's brains getting spayed across tablecloth, but you can't say son-of-a-bitch. Weird.
Old 07-05-01, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE]Originally posted by THX 1138
Originally posted by renaldow
I watched pieces of both the P&S and widescreen Godfathers yesterday, and did not notice anything missing.
Then you didnt watch the right pieces. The movies were edited for violence and language.
What violent scenes were missing that I missed?
Old 07-06-01, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched most of the letterboxed broadcast of 1. I don't think they edited for content since both Sonny's toll booth hit and Apollonia's topless scene were present. I thought I heard some strange sounding audio that may have been dubs. I'm not sure, though, since I don't have a great memory for dialogue so I can't remember if the original had a lot of swearing.