DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Unresolved cliff-hangers (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/118417-unresolved-cliff-hangers.html)

chowderhead 06-20-01 03:57 PM

Which tv shows do people remember that had cliff-hanger episodes i.e. season finales questions that were unresolved because the show was later canceled.
Two shows that I remember were "Models Inc" which had a shooting at a wedding and "Popular" which was just canceled that had someone being run over.
Any more shows that drove you crazy because something was not resolved?

Red Dog 06-20-01 04:24 PM

Benson (one of my favorite 80s sitcoms): Lt. Gov Benson ran against incumbent Gov. Gatling. We never found out who won.

movielib 06-20-01 04:35 PM

Now and Again.

Apparently, The Fugitive (2000-2001), as it's been cancelled.

TheBang 06-20-01 06:24 PM

The Lone Gunmen
Earth 2
SeaQuest 2032 (cancelled in the middle of the 3rd season, just as they took a big plot twist: killing one crew member, introducing another, and introducing a new evil enemy nation).

Giantrobo 06-20-01 06:55 PM

HBO's SPAWN

The brought in ANGELA then the series died.... :mad:

annointed1 06-20-01 11:00 PM

ALF! If I remember right, ALF was surrounded and about to get captured by government agents. It got cancelled after that episode, so there wasn't a followup.

mikehunt 06-20-01 11:51 PM

"tour of duty" in a way. It just kind of ended, but with the feeling that they were planning on at least one more season

ClarkKentKY 06-21-01 12:43 AM

I was going to say ALF too, just for kicks :) Actually the ALF thing got Finsihed up. About 2 or 3 years later. A two hour episode. I never knew about it until a few years ago though. They air it on PAX or Family every once in a while... I think it had Peter Scolari in it, or the guy from Son of the beach... Involves wrapping up the millitary plot... You might be abel to catch it on. i remember it not being watchable though...

Pac-Rat 06-21-01 02:39 AM

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I was going to say ALF too, just for kicks :) Actually the ALF thing got Finsihed up. About 2 or 3 years later. A two hour episode. I never knew about it until a few years ago though. They air it on PAX or Family every once in a while... I think it had Peter Scolari in it, or the guy from Son of the beach... Involves wrapping up the millitary plot... You might be abel to catch it on. i remember it not being watchable though...
Alien Nation did the same thing. They had a cliffhanger with the Franciscos having flowers delivered to them that contained a toxin used to kill Newcomers, and as the mother and daughter were smelling them, George the father was shown in slo-mo slapping them out of their hands. The conclusion wasn't until a few years later in the TV movie "Dark Horizon".

RobCA 06-21-01 12:46 PM

Twin Peaks
Soap

Jadzia 06-21-01 01:59 PM

Twin Peaks
I really wanted to find out what happened to Agent Cooper who was stuck in the Black Lodge and was replaced by his evil doppelganger ("How's Annie?") Why didn't they try and wrap this up in Fire:Walk with Me!

My So-Called Life
Left Angela stranded between Jordan Catalano and Brian Krakow.

The Lone Gunmen
Argh!

Oliver Clothesoff 06-21-01 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Jadzia
Twin Peaks
I really wanted to find out what happened to Agent Cooper who was stuck in the Black Lodge and was replaced by his evil doppelganger ("How's Annie?") Why didn't they try and wrap this up in Fire:Walk with Me!

I'm still in agony over this one. I hope that New Line issues the DVD with the deleted scenes.... There were a few that were flash-forward sequences that included Annie in the hospital following the night in the Black Lodge.

bothanspy 06-22-01 03:53 AM

I remember the ALF cliffhanger. What was the ultimate resolution? Did the original cast return for the movie? If they didn't, I wonder if they were killed

Sorry.

Grim BothanSpy

Filmmaker 06-23-01 01:12 PM

Another big vote for TWIN PEAKS!

Oh yeah, and here's another (though arguably not a cliffhanger)--I got six words for ya:

"Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home."

Yeah...my ass...

Pac-Rat 06-23-01 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Filmmaker

Oh yeah, and here's another (though arguably not a cliffhanger)--I got six words for ya:

"Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home."

Yeah...my ass...

It may not be a cliffhanger, but it drove me nuts! It seemed like a cheap way to end it at the time.

Manco 06-23-01 09:03 PM

Crime Story. The last I remember Ray Luca and Detective Torrello were fighting aboard a plane that was about to crash.

Jnuke 06-25-01 04:45 PM

Twin Peaks
I really wanted to find out what happened to Agent Cooper who was stuck in the Black Lodge and was replaced by his evil doppelganger. Why didn't they try and wrap this up in Fire:Walk with Me!

Well, there are some of us who feel that FWWM sort of DID wrap things up. There are enough hints in the film and in Cooper's dreams throughout the series to suggest that he never escapes from the Lodge. He went in with imperfect courage, failed to save himself, end of story. It's a tragic, depressing ending, yes, but a kind of ending nevertheless. Sure, if the series hadn't been cancelled, he probably would have been rescued eventually, but I'm stuck with what we've got to give the story a form of completion in my own mind. At least the "Good Dale" seems to be at some kind of peace at the end of FWWM. (Although the scene with "the angel" seems to take place in the moments following Laura's death, Annie's appearance earlier proves that time moves differently in the Lodge, so we may very well be seeing Dale, say, 25 years in the future.)

Jadzia 06-25-01 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Jnuke

Twin Peaks
I really wanted to find out what happened to Agent Cooper who was stuck in the Black Lodge and was replaced by his evil doppelganger. Why didn't they try and wrap this up in Fire:Walk with Me!

Well, there are some of us who feel that FWWM sort of DID wrap things up. There are enough hints in the film and in Cooper's dreams throughout the series to suggest that he never escapes from the Lodge. He went in with imperfect courage, failed to save himself, end of story. It's a tragic, depressing ending, yes, but a kind of ending nevertheless. Sure, if the series hadn't been cancelled, he probably would have been rescued eventually, but I'm stuck with what we've got to give the story a form of completion in my own mind. At least the "Good Dale" seems to be at some kind of peace at the end of FWWM. (Although the scene with "the angel" seems to take place in the moments following Laura's death, Annie's appearance earlier proves that time moves differently in the Lodge, so we may very well be seeing Dale, say, 25 years in the future.)

I see your point. I guess instead of knowing if he got out or what, I really wanted to see what kind of havoc that the "Bad Dale" wreaked in the outside world.

That would have been very interesting to see and would have made for a fascinating third season.

Filmmaker 06-25-01 06:19 PM

Originally posted by Jnuke:
Well, there are some of us who feel that FWWM sort of DID wrap things up. There are enough hints in the film and in Cooper's dreams throughout the series to suggest that he never escapes from the Lodge. He went in with imperfect courage, failed to save himself, end of story. It's a tragic, depressing ending, yes, but a kind of ending nevertheless.

I don't buy it--David Lynch has stated multiple times that he always intended to make two films, a prequel (FWWM) and a sequel bookending the TV series, and that the second film would wrap everything up the way he wanted. Due to the severely poor box office returns for FWWM, he was never able to realize his vision in its entirety, which is a crying shame. I don't fault you for trying to find your own sense of closure for the series, but to me, the ending of TWIN PEAKS will always seem like an open wound...

Dr. DVD 06-25-01 07:14 PM

Originally posted by bothanspy
I remember the ALF cliffhanger. What was the ultimate resolution? Did the original cast return for the movie? If they didn't, I wonder if they were killed

Sorry.

Grim BothanSpy

I remember the series finale occurring about six years after the end of the series. Let me put it this way: I watched the "finale" on NBC when I was in seventh grade and caught the TV movie on CBS or ABC a Freshman in college. While I came in late and did not catch what happened to the family, I do know that it ends with ALF being accepted as a U.S. citizen and a guy and a girl, both in the military, becoming his new friends. Another cool aspect of this episode was Twin Peaks' Miguel Ferrer as the bad guy. I wish they would use this man in more features.

bothanspy 06-26-01 01:09 AM

oh, in retrospect, I guess I wish I had left that one alone. Anything I have imagined in the last 20 years sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than that.

BothanSpy

Fielding Mellish 06-26-01 10:39 AM

I remember the ALF cliffhanger. What was the ultimate resolution?
To rescue ALF from a secret government organization, the dad goes undercover as a crack addict who has sex with homeless men...

...or is my memory just confused?

Jnuke 06-26-01 10:49 AM

I guess instead of knowing if he got out or what, I really wanted to see what kind of havoc that the "Bad Dale" wreaked in the outside world.

I dunno, I've always thought that seeing the Bad Dale on a killing spree(?) would almost be too heartbreaking to watch unless the storyline had a happy ending afterwards.

Apocrypha 06-26-01 12:55 PM

Ok If David Lynch wanted to make another Twin Peaks movie I am sure he could he has clout as an artist filmmaker and producer. Although I wonder why his failed ABC series Mullhullond Drive ended up as an entry at Cannes this year.

What about LUCY BUTLER in the brilliant
Millennium I wanted some kind of finale
with her character.

In my opinion this series just needed one
more season to wrap up and was robbed of that
by FOX execs.

Filmmaker 06-26-01 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Apocrypha:
Ok If David Lynch wanted to make another Twin Peaks movie I am sure he could he has clout as an artist filmmaker and producer.

His clout as an artist, filmmaker and producer meant precisely diddly after TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME made about $22.00 at the domestic box-office...