Star Trek TNG Fans

Old 06-19-01, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TNN is going to start showing the series in October

Miami Vice now this
Old 06-19-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool, but we have a station that shows it already and I don't watch it now I guess its cuz my roommates don't like it so i try to watch something everyone would like. also the fact its on at 8 against prime time shows doesnt help
Old 06-19-01, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any idea on the time?
Old 06-19-01, 04:50 PM

They haven't said or posted anything about a time yet, I will keep my eye open for it though. Judging by the way they start knew shows I would guess around 7PM eastern standard.

[Edited by Bigbot on 06-19-01 at 02:54 PM]
Old 06-19-01, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
TNN sucessfully outbid SciFi channel for the cable rights on all three recent ST shows: ST Next Gen, DS9 & Voyager...

I was under the impression that all three will be starting in the fall with a big promotional push. If so, we'll certainly hear about it. I don't watch TNN for anything else yet, so if ads start to pop up, someone let us know...
Old 06-19-01, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Yeah last nite I got home about 1:30a and saw the last few minutes of ST: The Motion Picture.

So I guess they're going full out with the Trek shows.
Old 06-19-01, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I have no real personal preference for the stations and I can care less about Voyager.

As for ponying up the $$$ for the shows, I can't help but notice that at least Sci-Fi is working to develop new shows in the genre. Some make it and some don't, some are good and some suck, but at least they are making the effort. That's why they have less money for it.
Old 06-19-01, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts
Still, though, it's kind of embarrassing to be called the Sci-Fi Channel, and not have the cable rights to 3 out of the 4 Star Trek shows.
Old 06-19-01, 08:47 PM

yeah, I would have to change the name of the channel or something. I don't care as long as someone has it on the air. with another year or two for the release of the DVD's, I need my star trek fix DS9 was very low on my fav list and I am growing to like Voyager(now that it's over). I hope the new show works out good, it an interesting idea.
Old 06-19-01, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
local upn has tng at 7pm weeknights, but I'm taping B5 on sci-fi at that time. once B5 is done, IO'm gonna get all the tng eps. the local fox has ds9 and voy at 2 and 4am. I'm taping them, hopefully it'll do at least one more full run of both so I can get all of them on tape
Old 06-19-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wouldn't it be great if they aired these shows in chronological order? I missed most of DS9 because of the time slot and missed the entire Dominion War.
Old 06-20-01, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This has been in the works for a while now, and the Trek films have been showing up on TNN for about a month, but I saw my first promo for the series the other night. I don't remember what the official date is, but I seem to remember that all 3 shows will hit in the fall.

As for the Sci-Fi Channel not having the rights, it's hardly embarassing for them. First off, TNN is one of the Viacom boys and had a leg up on everyone else in acquiring these shows. Secondly, and most importantly, the Sci-Fi Channel is a haven for Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror. No other channel is even attepting to do what they're doing. For them to give 4-8 hours a day to Star Trek shows would leave little room for much else. Personally, I'm very happy that another channel has the rights. I want both the best of both worlds here (pun intended), and this should be very good.

das
Old 06-27-01, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TNN got the rights to TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

TNG will start this October and it will be the only place in the United States to watch the series, which means that if it plays on your local station now, it won't be by October. I think they'll put it in primetime since they paid like half a billion for all three and some of the movies.
DS9 won't start until 2004.
Voyager will start in 2006.

Matt

[Edited by MvRojo on 06-27-01 at 02:13 AM]
Old 06-27-01, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does this mean Captain Picard will have to milk cows in between shifts???

(I know it's not The Nashville Network anymore, but I think this still applies)
Old 06-27-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
that's crappy that they get exclusive rights. will voyager and ds9 still be on local stations until tnn starts running them?

Originally posted by MvRojo
TNN got the rights to TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

TNG will start this October and it will be the only place in the United States to watch the series, which means that if it plays on your local station now, it won't be by October. I think they'll put it in primetime since they paid like half a billion for all three and some of the movies.
DS9 won't start until 2004.
Voyager will start in 2006.

Matt

[Edited by MvRojo on 06-27-01 at 02:13 AM]
Old 06-27-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mikehunt
that's crappy that they get exclusive rights. will voyager and ds9 still be on local stations until tnn starts running them?

It's not crappy if your local carrier paid $15 for 32nd generation tapes where Troi sounds like Worf. Plus, it will be nice for all those people that don't get it syndicated locally.

das
Old 06-27-01, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, DS9 and Voyager will continue to play in syndication, conceivably until their TNN dates.

Matt
Old 06-27-01, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm glad it will be on a national station, I just don't like that the local stations won't be allowed to also broadcast it

Originally posted by das Monkey

It's not crappy if your local carrier paid $15 for 32nd generation tapes where Troi sounds like Worf. Plus, it will be nice for all those people that don't get it syndicated locally.

das
Old 06-28-01, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is The Nashville Network even interested in showing the show? I love the show, so don't get me wrong, but it doesn't seem like a show about space and the future would go on a country music channel. Are they trying to change their target demographic? Or am I just thinking of some other TNN channel?
Old 06-28-01, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by huzefa
Why is The Nashville Network even interested in showing the show? I love the show, so don't get me wrong, but it doesn't seem like a show about space and the future would go on a country music channel. Are they trying to change their target demographic? Or am I just thinking of some other TNN channel?
Someone's been living in a hole for the past year Not long ago TNN became "The National Network," acquired RAW (the most popular cable program) and numerous "cool" hour long dramas like Miami Vice. They've completely revamped the network and the acquisition of the Star Trek syndication deals a few months ago just solidified that they will be a major player in the years to come. Now if they could only shrink that damn logo in the corner of the screen. I swear it's 4 times as large as any other network.

das