DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Best short-lived show on tv... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/117996-best-short-lived-show-tv.html)

Venusian 06-19-01 11:12 AM

This is hard cuz you have to define short-lived, which I would say is a season or less.

For drama, I'd go with My So Called Life, I thought this show sucked till I caught reruns on MTV and watched it years after it had been canned. It's pretty good.

For comedy, I think hands down it has to be The Dana Carvey Show, it got canned in 4 weeks cuz it was too crude, they should have moved it to late night, of course it was too crude for 8 pm, after all it preimiered with Clinton breast feeding a kid

das Monkey 06-19-01 11:26 AM

A season or less is really tough, because so few shows establish themselves well enough in that first season. In fact, some of the best shows in the history of television had horrible, and I mean horrible, first seasons.

In the less than a season category, I would have liked to see "Deadline" find its legs before going under, and I would have liked the powers that be to leave "Crusade" alone and let it be the phenomenal show it could have been.

Extending to a little more than a season, "SportsNight" and "Freaks and Geeks" both went before their time. Also, "Fired Up" with Leia Remini and Sharon Lawrence was a fun show that was abruptly cancelled midway through its second season.

"Ned and Stacey," which ran a complete two seasons, is another personal favorite I wish had lasted longer. Also, I agree with "My So Called Life." I'm sure there are more, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

das

das Monkey 06-19-01 11:28 AM

And what the hell happened to "The Bob Costas Show" on HBO. I was really enjoying it, especially when he had Vinnie Mac on.

das

G. Noel Gross 06-19-01 11:31 AM

http://epguides.com/KeyWest/logo.jpg

I loved the FOX series "Key West" with Fisher Stevens and Jennifer Tilly. He was a steel worker who won the lottery and moved to Key West to realize his life-long dream of becoming a writer (like his idol Hemmingway). Ms. Tilly was the town harlot, but also its wisest resident. FOX didn't have a clue how to handle the show. They promoed it as a wacky comedy series, but in reality it was fairly deep. It was clearly meant to glom onto the success of "Northern Exposure," but didn't last longer than its first season of 13 episodes.

If anyone has episodes on tape. I'd love an email.

Venusian 06-19-01 11:36 AM

What was fired up about? it sounds familiar. I like Ned and Stacey too, that show was cool.

elektra 06-19-01 11:47 AM

Crusade is my number one for this. That show was rockin' until the very bored, talentless, small parts envy, dorks in suits started to mess with it.

The other one for me - Kindred: The Embraced.

Fielding Mellish 06-19-01 11:51 AM

Cupid. Jeremy Piven rocks. Paula Marshall is a stunner, as well. Good writing. Nice locations.

Died long before its time.

das Monkey 06-19-01 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Venusian
What was fired up about? it sounds familiar. I like Ned and Stacey too, that show was cool.
Sharon Lawrence was this hot executive chick, and Leia Remini was her hot secretary. After Gwen (Lawrence) got fired, they went into business with each other. It wasn't a particularly deep show, but it sure was funny. The bartender of the local establishment was named Guy and was always trying to hook up with Gwen. His son, of course, was a drag queen, and if I remember correctly, Terry's (Remini) brother was a bus boy for Guy.

It's your standard assortment of characters, but somehow the chemistry of the group worked well. Plus Lawrence and Remini are both incredibly hot :)

das

DJLinus 06-19-01 11:54 AM

I kind of liked "Action." Of course, I'm an entertainment junkie. The show probably had too many Hollywood in-jokes that the general public wouldn't get. Also, it was pretty crude.

Geofferson 06-19-01 11:55 AM

Yeah, Cupid was good. I also liked the following short-lived shows...

Snoops
Ryan Caulfield: Year 1
Harsh Realm
Vengeance Unlimited (Michael Madsen)
Total Security (Jim Belushi and James Remar drama)
C-16 (Eric Roberts FBI drama)
Brimstone
Action
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
The Outsiders
Enos (Dukes of Hazzard spin-off)

seven 06-19-01 11:59 AM

I'm not sure but it was probably on Fox. They have a tendency to have really good shows I love and then cancelling them for no apparent reason.

Profit
Strange Luck
Key West
Brimstone
VR5

I'm sure there were more I can't think of right now.

seven 06-19-01 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
Cupid. Jeremy Piven rocks. Paula Marshall is a stunner, as well. Good writing. Nice locations.

Died long before its time.

Agreed on that one. Piven doth rule!

elektra 06-19-01 12:21 PM

The Others. That one was too short-lived as well.

Pac-Rat 06-19-01 12:51 PM

Vanishing Son - I thought Russell Wong was going to be a huge star! Shows how much I know...

Faulty Towers
Top of the Heap - Married with Children spinoff
Movie Stars

TheBang 06-19-01 01:27 PM

Earth 2
The Lone Gunmen

I hate it because they left us with a cliffhanger for the last show of both of these series.

Venusian 06-19-01 01:28 PM

Earth 2 started off cool, stopped watching cuz they started changing the show up.
Space: above and beyond was cool too

Rand 06-19-01 02:02 PM

In today's television environment I don't think
that a full season qualifies for short lived. I'd
place that at six epsiodes or less. There are
plenty of cantidates for excellent series even
at that length. I guess my choice would have to
be Maximum Bob.

Daytripper 06-19-01 02:44 PM

Two words: "Square Pegs" ;)

ccoolidge 06-19-01 02:55 PM

Cupid
Ben Stiller Show
Mr. Show
SIGN THE PETITION FOR MR. SHOW!!! http://www.petitiononline.com/mrshow/petition.html

AGuyNamedMike 06-19-01 03:01 PM

Hot L Baltimore

(geeze can I get any more obscure than that?)

benedict 06-19-01 03:26 PM

I was intrigued by that show about a manipulative guy who, in his luxury apartment, used to curl up to sleep at night in just a <i>box</i>.

Charlie Goose 06-19-01 03:44 PM

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Big Apple
Cupid

louiseb 06-19-01 07:18 PM

I loved <b>Cupid</b> and <b>Maximum Bob</b>

valkyrie 06-19-01 08:02 PM

Kindred: the Embraced

Great show, awesome actors, too bad the suits and bad luck caused the death of the show (and the lead actor, God rest).

Eternia 06-19-01 08:03 PM

The Charmings
Sledge Hammer!
Max Headroom
Snoops
Dag
Bette