DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   I miss "Strangers with Candy" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/112120-i-miss-strangers-candy.html)

Daytripper 05-29-01 12:53 PM

I catch the reruns that are still running on Comedy Central from time to time and feel they pulled the show prematurely. Sure, it's a one joke premise that couldn't possibly go on for years and years. But I still think there were a few more episodes they could have done. Not everyone's taste I know. But I thought the show was hilarious.

Slumbering Fist 05-29-01 03:26 PM

I think its the funniest show on tv since Mr Show with Bob an David. Personally, I kind of prefer for shows to go out while they are still going good, like Mr Show and Strangers, instead of wearing out their welcome and getting stale, like probably every single sitcom on broadcast television. I wish Comedy Central would run a marathon of Strangers. That would make my day.

[Edited by iaido on 05-29-01 at 01:29 PM]

Giantrobo 05-29-01 07:15 PM

I only saw the show once but I was facinated with the main character.

She was weird and weird looking but seemed very funny.

grunter 05-29-01 10:00 PM

Hey - it beats the pants of that totally unfunny and one-joke-centric "Where's My Bush?"

Er, or is it "That's My Bush?"

Pointyskull 05-31-01 03:39 PM

Comedy Central's programming reasoning defies logic.
For a network supposedly dedicated to humor, they have cancelled two of the more original examples:
Strangers With Candy and Upright Citizen's Brigade.

SWC was by far the funniest series I have ever seen.

I guess that frees up more room for more SNL reruns.

Slumbering Fist 05-31-01 04:01 PM

Originally posted by 12thmonkey

For a network supposedly dedicated to humor, they have cancelled two of the more original examples:

SWC was by far the funniest series I have ever seen.

I guess that frees up more room for more SNL reruns.

They also didnt give Exit 57(?), the Vacant Lot, or League of Gentlemen much of a chance. You're right, God forbid they try something edgy, when they can run old Gallagher specials.

Alyoshka 05-31-01 04:41 PM

It was a very odd program that I really wasn't able to get into, but I saw lots of stuff that I thought was pretty funny.

Jason Northrup 06-04-01 06:59 PM

I thoink you guys are all nuts. I think this is one of the stupidest and most annoying shows I've ever seen. Everybody I've talked to about this holds the same possition also.

DVDer 06-05-01 01:38 AM

I hadn't realized how much I missed the show until Stephen Colbert interviewed Amy Sedaris on The Daily Show a while back. Strangers With Candy's sheer weirdness was captivating. I wouldn't always laugh, but I had a hard time changing the channel.

--Heather

[Edited by DVDer on 06-04-01 at 11:43 PM]

Draven 06-05-01 09:16 AM

And The Critic sucks, but they run that and cancelled Dr. Katz? I assume there was a reason for that, but Dr. Katz was one of my favorite shows on CC. Well, at least South Park is still funny...

Venetian 06-06-01 12:29 PM

I agree Strangers with Candy is a MASTERPIECE!!!!

When is it coming to DVD? Can we start a campaign to get a box set of all the episodes?

There can't be more than 20 shows altogether..I picture a nice DVD-18 ala Sex and the City Season 1

Peetsa, peetsa peetsa!

spoon81 06-06-01 01:46 PM

I dont thoink I'm nuts. I dont thoink all my friends are nuts. I do think Strangers with Candy was a great show. It took some getting used to, but it was fresh, irreverent, and most of all, FUNNY. Everybody I talked to holds this same possition as well. Its a shame CC keeps stuff like Strip Mall on, and we are left without SWC, League of Gentlemen and Upright Citizens Brigade. I'd buy a season box of Strangers in a second.

Apocrypha 06-07-01 09:32 PM

Amy Sedaris's Jerry Blank on Stranger w/ Candy is one of modern televisions most underrated comedic performances, aside form the exceptional cast the writing is also top notch. What more can I say at least we have repeats which is more than I can say for upright citizens brigade also a fairly humorous program.
Comedy Central Put
Strangers with Candy on DVD

Spike Jonze 06-11-01 10:30 PM

I agree...put Strangers With Candy back on. And replace That's My Bush with Upright Citizens Brigade!!!

Spike Jonze 06-11-01 10:32 PM

...and something else I'm upset with.....

I've noticed this past week that Comedy Central only had one episode of Kids In The Hall each day. I like Sports Night and all, but they shouldn't replace Kids In The Hall with it. :(

Bust 06-13-01 05:01 PM

Originally posted by 12thmonkey

-rolleyes-

Welcome to Programming 101.

Contrary to popular belief, the execs at CC are not sitting around saying to each other, "Hey, I think we should cancel Strangers With Candy because it's a stupid show."

Like it or not, the choice of which shows stay and which shows go, is based on which shows people WATCH. If SWC was such a great show, then more people would have watched it, and then it would still be on. The way it was, CC's advertisers (most likely) would not pay as much to advertise during SWC as they would to advertise during SNL reruns

Daytripper 06-14-01 09:52 AM

Hmmm, that's funny Jason. Everyone I've ever talked to about the show thought it was hilarious. In a twisted way. Where do YOU live, Utah?

Pointyskull 06-14-01 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Bust
Welcome to Programming 101.
Like it or not, the choice of which shows stay and which shows go, is based on which shows people WATCH. If SWC was such a great show, then more people would have watched it, and then it would still be on. [/B]
Gee, thanks for the edumacation. I guess 'good' shows have never been cancelled ("Sports Night", "Millennium", "Twin Peaks"). High ratings DO NOT necessarily equal quality programming ("Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", "Survivor").

In large part the networks are to blame when quality programming is inadequately promoted. We all know it comes down to numbers (ratings, that is), but it seems that CC did little to salvage either SWC or UCB. And for a network supposedly dedicated to comedy programming, it seems doubly odd to dump a couple of inventive shows in favor of running more SNL reruns or hacked up versions of comedy movies.

That's not a comedy channel, that's a collection of second run material that requires no production costs.

Yeah, I know it's a business. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Slumbering Fist 06-14-01 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Bust
If SWC was such a great show, then more people would have watched it, and then it would still be on.
Ahhh yes, the majority of the world is always right. Popularity = Good/Genius, not Mediocrity. Go drink a Coke and watch Who Wants to be a Millionaire?.