Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Was the Buffy SEASON finale not the saddest one ever?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Was the Buffy SEASON finale not the saddest one ever?

Old 05-22-01, 08:06 PM

did any1 see buffy? that was soooooooo sad. i can't believe it. they actually had buffy die! anyways, they will definately bring her back, because she has a contract with UPN. did u notice how WB was trying to confuse people about it being a SERIES finale and not a SEASON. and the little note at the end of the show. they are trying to confuse the people and screw UPN out of viewers.
Old 05-22-01, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They won't succeed at screwing UPN out of viewers, any loyal fan knows about its transfer. However, the fact that less households may have UPN than the WB could hurt viewership. Also, while people do come into a thread like this at their own risk, a spoiler tag would be nice!
Old 05-23-01, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't think it was that sad. I thought the last time she died was much worse. Back then no one knew if the show would be back or not, and having it end with her being killed was really final.

We all know it's returing to UPN and that she'll be back. No boo-hoos here.
Old 05-23-01, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by renaldow
I didn't think it was that sad. I thought the last time she died was much worse. Back then no one knew if the show would be back or not, and having it end with her being killed was really final.
I'm not in the US so perhaps you could enlighten me when that was, exactly. We're here in the middle of Season 3 at the moment. She did die in the last episode of Season 1 but it didn't last for very long. She was revived quite quickly and kicked Master's butt. Was it somehow different when the show originally aired or has she died more times or what?
Old 05-23-01, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by spiderx
I'm not in the US so perhaps you could enlighten me when that was, exactly. We're here in the middle of Season 3 at the moment. She did die in the last episode of Season 1 but it didn't last for very long. She was revived quite quickly and kicked Master's butt. Was it somehow different when the show originally aired or has she died more times or what?
That's exactly the time I was talking about. There was no contract for a 2nd season when they did the season 1 final episode. Joss Whedon didn't want to have a cliffhanger on a series that may never come back on the air. So, if the 2nd season wasn't picked up then the story ended with Buffy dying and the Master winning. You people overseas knew there was another season coming and Buffy would be back, just like we know that's going to happen now. But back then, it was either going to be final or it wasn't, and nobody knew for sure.
Old 05-23-01, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[BI thought the last time she died was much worse. [/B]
Not many shows will allow you to have such a quote.
Old 05-23-01, 06:37 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by GuessWho
[BI thought the last time she died was much worse.
Not many shows will allow you to have such a quote. [/B]
Except for just about any soap opera.
Old 05-24-01, 02:21 PM

I would agree the ending was sad but I also feel that Buffy pointing out to Willow that she was the strongest of the group might be a prelude to Buffy not being in a few of the first or at least the first one of next season.
Spoiler:
If Buffy comes back or the gang brings her back then you completely discredit the whole not using magic to heal or being able to bring back her mother premise of that earlier show where they actively kept Dawn from bringing mom back from the dead. Do you start weighing the whole, Buffy is more important to the world than her mom so we can forget the moral decisions we used last time? If Buffy comes back, which I know she will, I do so hope that she is brought back either A) accidentaly or B) by someone evil who plans to use her as a tool for evil and she is some super villan or something.

Just my two cents.
Old 05-24-01, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Awwjwah
I would agree the ending was sad but I also feel that Buffy pointing out to Willow that she was the strongest of the group might be a prelude to Buffy not being in a few of the first or at least the first one of next season.
Trust me, UPN didnt shell out all that money and make Buffy a signature show on their network to not have Buffy/Gellar around. She'll be back in the season premire, without a doubt.
Old 05-25-01, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sarah Michelle Gellar has at least one more year on her contract but has been pretty vocal about her disdain for the transfer of the franchise to UPN. Obviously, Joss Whedon and the producers at UPN aren't about to release the title chartacter from her contractual obligations, but it's not exactly like Whedon to come back with a cheap revival after a fairly concrete plot moment.

It wouldn't surprise me if she became more of a spirit guide and showed up semi-regularly and focus either on a new Slayer, guided by Buffy and the rest or on Dawn, since she was "made of [Buffy]" and could potentially share some level of ability with Buffy. I'd prefer the former over the latter or a "Hey, we couldn't morally and ethically revive Joyce or any other person who dies but we will Buffy because she's different." I would be interested to see a new Slayer come along. That's the whole point of the mythology: Slayers die and new Slayers are called.