DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Buffy Fans - Did you hear them say "Series Finale" during next week's preview? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/108806-buffy-fans-did-you-hear-them-say-series-finale-during-next-weeks-preview.html)

The World is Square 05-15-01 08:19 PM

they said SERIES finales, not season finale. maybe b/c it's leaving the network, but maybe this whole "move to UPN" thing is something done by Joss...or maybe i'm just paranoid.

***SPOILER***

eonline.com's watch with wanda says that someone will die in the end, and she even narrows it down a bit by saying a few people who aren't the ones to die. maybe buffy will die and that is the reason for the "series finale."

wildcatlh 05-15-01 08:40 PM

They're calling it "The WB Series Finale" (note emphasis)... it'll be on UPN in the Fall (which sucks, I better start getting UPN by then)

adamblast 05-15-01 08:40 PM

They said "WB series finale", not just "series finale", you silly...

This whole thing is already being discussed here in lots of other threads, but whatever. Yes, it's definitely moving to UPN, and yes, one (or more) main characters may be dying off next week.

I know of at least one "in-the-main-credits" character likely to die and stay dead next week. :(

And even bigger character who could well die -- but who would, by definition, have to come back... :)

[Edited by adamblast on 05-15-01 at 06:44 PM]

Hoc 05-16-01 12:49 AM

SMG said a month ago that, if the series left WB, she would leave the series. Let's see how determined she is on that. . .

MvRojo 05-16-01 01:18 AM

SMG has a contract and after she said those comments, she kinda retracted them because I think Whedon made her realize that that wasn't a good move. She's under contract and I'm sure she's coming back for at least the next two seasons.

Also, WB is saying series finale because they want to confuse their viewers that don't know that the show is going to UPN. Its all a big ploy to screw UPN out of viewers. They also took all the Buffy pictures off their site so that UPN wouldn't have access to any publicity material.

Matt

das Monkey 05-16-01 08:46 AM

SMG made her comments about leaving the WB more in reference to ABC's bid for Buffy. I, for one, respect her for that move, since a major network would have ruined the show. She retracted her comments when it became clear that other second tier networks were interested in the show.

das

renaldow 05-16-01 10:41 AM

Someone will probably die at the finale, but it won't be a 'main' main character, it will just be a 'main' character. I'm guessing it will be Dawn or Tara. Xander, Willow, Giles, and Spike will be left alive as usual.

Canis Firebrand 05-16-01 11:08 AM

It will be interesting to see.

Before last nights episode where they showed teh preview and stated the potential for someone to die, friends and I had the following thought on what would happen.

We felt that Dawn, as the key, would somehow reset time so that Buffy's mom would be alive and Tara would be back to normal.
An intersting thought, and I would like to see Tara back to normal.

Though, I must saw, that will as powerful as she was the last couple episodes rocked!

adamblast 05-16-01 12:14 PM

The below is mostly just my speculation, but it's based on lots of reading on the "spoiler sites". I've posted some of this before, but I'm sticking by it...

Spoiler:
Dawn is here to stay. She's going to be included permanently in the cartoon version of the show slated for next year, which wouldn't be the case if she was just a one-season-only regular...

Anya is likely to be killed off for good next week. Though her character has been hilarious lately, and it'll be awful to see her go, they need to free up Xander again for where they're taking him and Buffy...

Though Buffy has died on a cliffhanger before, the evidence is strong that she'll be dying next week again.

They're leading us to think that "Death is your gift" just means that it's a gift she gives. A talent. Nope; I think it's a gift she's going to be given...

Actually, after sacrificing herself and dying to save Dawn, I think she's going to be vamped, though we may not see the vamping till next season. Before returning to normal, I think she'll spend the earliest part of next season as a bad guy against the new Super-Willow and Co.

I could easily be wrong about any of this, of course. Anyone else want to stick their neck out and predict what happens next week and in the coming UPN era?

Slumbering Fist 05-16-01 01:20 PM

Gellars comments were about the show possibly being under the thumb of the major networks, Fox and ABC. As it stands, i think all of Buffys creative team is making the move, and the UPN wants Buffy to be Buffy, so its just like the show has uprooted itself.

The World is Square 05-16-01 01:28 PM

Nice reply. well, since i was obviously wrong, let's talk about who we think is going to die next week. eonline's wanda has said it definately isn't a few people. i'll reply with that in a bit, but who could it be? that buffy vamped thing is very outlandish, but i do have a feeling it will happen. i hope faith comes back. maybe they could make a "Faith: the Vampire Slayer" series. that would be cool. i also think next season, will might be evil. it has been hinted at a lot. she got WAY better powers very speedily, and something needs to balance out (like the episode last season with that incredibly powerful and perfect guy, forgot the name) tara won't die because joss said she is his favorite character. will would be a very cool villian, again outlandish, but it may go that way.

renaldow 05-16-01 01:29 PM

Originally posted by adamblast
Anyone else want to stick their neck out and predict what happens next week and in the coming UPN era?
As a matter of fact, I think I will. :) None of this is based on spoiler sites or the like. I don't read them as they are often rumors created from threads like this that get out of control or plain disinformation sent out to distract the masses. All of this is pure guess work from having watched Buffy for too long. No spoiler tags will be used as this is the ramblings of a Buffy fan and not anything else.

Buffy may/may not die but will definitely not be vamped. If for some reason she is vamped, she will be unvamped and it will only serve as a vehicle to unvamp Angel and possibly Spike. In any case, by mid-season she will be back alive and normal.

Willow will not remain Super Willow for long. She turned to the dark side for the powers she has now, and the first part of next season will be dealing with the consequences of that.

Tara will be killed. She is the least popular character on the show, and if she's not killed she will be gone by mid-season next year. Willow will have to cope with the loss while dealing with the consequences of using the forbidden powers.

Buffy's Mom will not be coming back. Kristine Sutherland has expressed wanting to do other things instead of being a part time character on the show. She's out for good, except for maybe special appearances, flashbacks, etc...

Anya will be left alive if only because Xander always gets the shaft. It's Willow's turn to feel the pain. Her character also has a lot more they can do with it that remains unexplored, so killing her off will be a mistake.

The World is Square 05-16-01 02:01 PM

okay, eonline hints very strongly that buffy will die:
"However, don't assume that the dead person won't be back. They will be. They have to."

"From lobo2ty: Anything going to develop between Buffy and Spike after the BuffyBot experience? Thanks, you're tops...
Emotionally, yes. But that smoocharoo was the last we'll see of anything physical. Mark my words: When the season ends, Spike will be more heartbroken than ever."

Spike won't die.
"Which leads me to the Spike Dies spoiler--which is NOT true. James Marsters is staying on the show next season."

Tara won't die.
"At the end of the episode, Tara is alive and well."

Willow most likely won't die.
"From Amber: Please, please, please tell me Tara and Willow stay together!
Yes, yes, yes they do!"

Xander doesn't die.
"From Char: In Buffy, is it a Scooby that dies? I heard it's Xander. Is it true?
It is a Scooby, and it's not Xander."

Dawn doesn't die.

This final spoiler leads me to believe it is buffy:
"I've already told you: It's big, it's heartbreaking, it's a Scooby, it's not Xander and it's not Riley. Now, I'll add one more: At the very end of the season finale, the bloodletting ritual to kill Dawn is started (by that sinister Doc guy), and Buffy has been told the only way to close the portal to the end of the world is by killing Dawn. But at the last second, she realizes she can kill another Scooby. She's faced with choosing between two people she loves--and does kill one of them."

buffy loves herself obviously, and her gift is death unless you forgot. it is apparent that buffy dies.

The only other possibilities are Anya, and Giles. i can almost promise buffy will "die."

Oh, here's another:
"From leonard: Is it Buffy who dies? Is that it? Is Sarah leaving the show? Say it ain't so!
I can't say any more about who dies (I made a promise I intend to keep), but I can tell you that Sarah is not leaving the show--at least not anytime soon. She's tied to that two-year contract with UPN."

Wanda seemed to give out the info on everyone else who might die very easily, but when it comes to buffy, her lips are sealed. it's obvious that buffy will die this season.

adamblast 05-16-01 02:04 PM

renaldow -- So do you think Willow will go to the dark side for a while in your scenario? I'm really hoping for something that pits the regulars against each other in new ways, temporarily anyway, rather than just another season-length villian vs. the united Scooby front. Just because it's more outrageous.

(And yeah, in my vamped Buffy scenario she wouldn't stay that way long. It'd just be a nice way to secretly bring someone back that the others thought was dead. She could be hiding for a week or two... Since Darla was "unvamped" it seems Buffy could be, too.)

The World is Square 05-16-01 02:14 PM

nope, it's not tara that dies.

oh, and anya doesn't die either, i was wrong.
"From lindsey: Is it the Buffy Bot that dies?
No. Definitely not. It's also not Anya, as some of you are saying."

It's buffy, and buffy alone. maybe giles, but i sincerely doubt it.

The World is Square 05-16-01 02:19 PM

i haven't been a watcher of the show for that long. how did darla get unvamped?

****AND YET ANOTHER SPOILER****

Xander and Anya get engaged next week!

renaldow 05-16-01 02:22 PM

I don't they'd have to fight the evil Willow or anything like that. I think more possibly the evil forces of the 'darkside' will begin demanding their price from Willow for using the power. This will lead her to what others will see as strange behaviour eventually leading to an intervention of some sort that culminates in a battle between Willow's friends and the dark forces for Willow. Think of it along the lines of what would happen if Willow became a heroine addict and the rest of them tried to get her off the drugs. Same kind of thing, but with supernatural forces instead.

If Buffy dies, yet another slayer (the 3rd extra one so far) will come into existance again. They've done that bit to death now, so what will hapen? Actually, thinking about it, there should be a couple slayers running around already because the others were killed. Do you think this is being overlooked, or will it eventually be brought into the show again?

adamblast 05-16-01 02:28 PM

I may be a bit disappointed if no one dies for good...

I really think that, for better or worse, the 100th episode should contain something (like they just did on The Practice) that alters things forever, not just until after the cliffhanger...

I'll say this much--if it's Giles about to die for good, they've been putting out an amazingly successful bunch of mis-information. Supposedly, they're in talks about a spinoff BBC series and everything...

The World is Square 05-16-01 02:31 PM

when did will get her powers from the darkside? i kinda remember something like that, but will you refresh my memory. also, since faith is still alive, isn't she the only official slayer? so another one wouldn't be made unless faith died. and what happened to the one before her?

Awwjwah 05-16-01 02:34 PM

I think I have heard/read everything

from a Buffy/Angel crossover due to this dimension thing that both groups are going through to Everyone dieing and nobody dieing. All I know is that each show of both Buffy and Angel gets better and better and as long as they keep going that way I will accept any ending they give. Angel already lost it's second main/semi-main character in last night's episode and someone, or someone's dieing in Buffy would work out well also.

The only thing's I don't wanna see is:
A) Spike being heartbroken. Sorry, dead men don't care and he is becoming a wuss.
B) Xander hook it back down with Buffy. Gag me please it is becoming like 90210. And yes, he has been getting screwed since the show started I think Anya should stay. Plus, she's cute. :)
C) Willow lose her powers. Sorry guys, Wil's my fave on the show and I need to see more of her being badass and sexy like her haloween hooker outfit and the vampire Willow. Grrrrrrrrr
D) This is more of a toss up but I could care less about Dawn or Tara. Dawn's only show purpose is to be the key and Tara's is just there. Has she done anything to add to the group other than be Wil's partner and add the whole lesbian alternative life style to the show to make it more trendy or something? Although I did laugh the episode Dawn said "I wanted to see what Willow and Tara do alone in their room but mom sorta freaked out." when she was talking about magic.

Awwjwah 05-16-01 02:36 PM

Willow got her powers

the episode Tara was hurt. She pulled out some tome of dark magic and has been using that. Which is why i assume she gets the black eyes when casting lately. She is tapping into some dark source.

Faith is alive BUT the last I saw of her was on Angel when he visited her in jail and I believe she was happy to be there as she didn't trust herself. That is the impression I got on it. As well as Angel, I believe, promised to check in on her and make sure she's ok.

adamblast 05-16-01 02:38 PM

Smutman -- Darla was destroyed as a vamp (on Buffy, I think--details, anyone?) but then brought back fully mortal on Angel by corporate baddies Wolfram & Hart using black magic. She's since been vamped again, but they've established that it can be permanently done...

thejammy 05-16-01 02:38 PM

Re: Willow got her powers

Originally posted by Awwjwah
the episode Tara was hurt. She pulled out some tome of dark magic and has been using that. Which is why i assume she gets the black eyes when casting lately. She is tapping into some dark source.

Faith is alive BUT the last I saw of her was on Angel when he visited her in jail and I believe she was happy to be there as she didn't trust herself. That is the impression I got on it. As well as Angel, I believe, promised to check in on her and make sure she's ok.

Umm Do you get UPN? I hope you do because you are going to be missing all that fun. :) Want me to tape it ?

[Edited by thejammy on 05-16-01 at 01:37 PM]

The World is Square 05-16-01 02:44 PM

o yeah, that "dark magick" book. i dunno if that will be a major part though, because they didn't really focus on it much. although, she is becoming a bit more assertive and stuff.

i really don't want will to lose her mega powers though. she is kicking ass. i LOVED that scene with her and glory when she hovered in after causing an earthquake (although i hated glory's attempt at humor with the "who ordered an appocolypse?" thing) will is very cool, and i like this power she is getting.

The World is Square 05-16-01 02:48 PM

i hope i get UPN, i have dishnetwork, and up until now i had to watch WB on antenna (which REALLY sucks) but i'm getting dishnetwork's atlanta network channels. they get WB but i havent checked on UPN. they had BETTER get UPN!!