DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Our Last Best Hope ... For Victory (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/108646-our-last-best-hope-victory.html)

das Monkey 05-15-01 11:08 AM

<B>POSSIBLE SPOILERS
<I>Since some people have noted not having seen the series in its entirety, and the 3rd (and most important) season is currently airing on SciFi, I figured I'd place a note up here just in case. Nothing's been given away in this thread so far, so for those of us who know all that is to come, try to be conscious of those who are experiencing this great phenomenon for the first time. Thanks.</I></B>

Being fairly new to this particular forum, I've been pleasantly surprised with how many people have Babylon 5 quotes in their signatures. It got me thinking how many people in here are fans of this show? I did a quick subject search on 'Babylon' in the last month and came up empty, and with Sci Fi airing Season 3's first episode tonight, it seemed like a good time to get a discussion going.

About what? I have no idea. But the show is so beyond incredible that it deserves discussion. Missing the boat during its original run, I felt like an idiot for dismissing it when I finally saw the entire series. Now that Sci Fi is more or less showing them daily, in order, I'm noticing more and more people figuring out what an amazing show this was. It got me wondering, how many fans weere there from the beginning, how many (like me) were there at the beginning and gave up because the first season was lame and were lucky enough to find their way back, and how many are experiencing it for the first time?

das

"Send a message to the parliaments of dictators that a line has been drawn against the Darkness ... and we will hold that line ... no matter the cost."

[Edited by das Monkey on 05-17-01 at 06:52 AM]

adamblast 05-15-01 11:22 AM

In its original run, I watched some of the first season, and most of the rest up till the Zahaduum (sp?) and the end of the Shadow War. I didn't watch much of seasons 4 or 5.

I've seen it all since. I still watch the show in its daily SciFi format, but not with great attention. More like syndicated background fodder.

Sure, I like the show, but not as much as many fans. Great story plots and a great arc -- but also, for me, annoyingly lame dialog and smug characters...

das Monkey 05-15-01 11:38 AM

I think that's a fair analysis. I'd argue that the smug-ness of the characters is dealt with through good character development over the 5 year run, and by the end, everyone has the right level of smug-itude (® Edge and Christian).

Still, you're right, there's some lame dialogue at times and some downright bad episodes. Unfortunately, I think those pitfalls are impossible to avoid with SciFi programming. SciFi shows take too many chances and break so much new ground that they're bound to look stupid at times.

das

valkyrie 05-15-01 04:46 PM

Well, thanks to B5, my DVD-watching has severely suffered! :) I originally watched a few of the first season that a friend had taped, but never got into the series cause I didn't have cable back then. Now, I'm glued to my Replay for 5+ hours a week watching this incredible show. I know many don't like it (some don't like Voyager either, but I find it cool sci-fi fun), but I think B5 may be one of the great series around. My only disappointment will be when the 5-year saga is done (as you mentioned, we just finished year 2). So, in a few months, I'll be very depressed there'll be no more. Personally, I'm almost glad to be watching it now for several reasons:

1) Widescreen ('nuff said)
2) I don't understand how ANYONE could stand to wait a week or more between episodes! I have a hard time waiting 24 or less hours. :)

As you said, great show, awesome story. I find the synthesis of the shows and seasons to be wonderful. I hope that the Legend of the Rangers Movie spawns another series with better success than Crusade.

Rand 05-16-01 01:12 PM

I was a fan from the beginning and suffered through
each seasons "will it be renewed or not" agony.
It's a fascinating and ground breaking series, not
only has there never been a sf series to equal it
but it's among the best series of any type, imo.

I have all the episodes that were released on laser
disc (seasons 1,2,5 and a few eps of 4 and the movies)
and will gladly replace them on dvd.

I'm really looking forward to the new movie on the
SciFi channel and hope it will spawn a new series.

thejammy 05-16-01 01:23 PM

Babylon 5 fans are scatter throughout this forum, I am sure many are Lurkers.

One thing that I really liked in that show is that the whole babylon 5 concept was pre-written. That amazed me.

I loved the whole Zhahaduum stuff. Delenn got on my nerves every once in while. But one episode that sticks out in my head is the Jack the Ripper on. OH MAN :eek:

das Monkey 05-16-01 02:02 PM

Originally posted by thejammy
I loved the whole Zhahaduum stuff. Delenn got on my nerves every once in while. But one episode that sticks out in my head is the Jack the Ripper on. OH MAN :eek: [/B]
"Comes the Inquisitor" was actually on SciFi last Friday. Wayne Alexander is incredible as Sebastian.

And since someone asked, I think it's <B>Z'ha'dum</B>

das

valkyrie 05-16-01 02:29 PM

I loved the quote from last night's episode. When they're being chased by the Shadow ship in the White Star. Delen looks to Sheridan and says "they can't be beaten." And he simply responds "With all due respect, ambassador...I've heard that one before."

I LOVED that! :)

There are so many great quotables in that series. While some may rag on the dialog, I think the great moments more than make up for the crappy ones. Garibaldi's talk with the Earth rep last night about "what kind of security chief would I be if I let myself know information I wasn't supposed to know" just had me in histerics. That was a great scene.

You know, I never thought I'd buy an entire series on DVD, but I've changed my mind. If they release the entire seasons in box-sets, there's no WAY I'm NOT buying B5.

Here's to wishing JMS the best on "Legend of the Rangers."

elektra 05-16-01 02:38 PM

Valkrie!!!!! I have missed you and glad to see you're still about.

I was a slow starter. I watched the Gathering, thought it was uneven and didn't get into the show until third season. Didn't take me long to backtrack and love it!

You folks here do read scifi.com's scifi wire yes? You all know about the new show already yes?

valkyrie 05-16-01 03:47 PM

Hey, elektra, yep...still alive and kickin'. :) Nice...I mean...NICE quote there, BTW. :)

Yes, the show had a slow start. I rememeber re-watching the first few episodes going "gee, this is kinda hokey." But by the end of season one, and most of season two kicked some royal you-know-what. As for season 3, I haven't seen it, so don't ruin it for me! :)

Gotta love all the Babylon5 quotables, though.

"I'm sorry. I am sorry. I'm sorry I waited so long before opening fire and blowing you all straight to hell. (It's the thought that counts)." - Sheridan, when preparring for his "apology" to the Centauri about blowing a war-cruiser to hell after it opened fire on a protected Narn heavy cruiser in B5 space.

Spicollidriver1 05-16-01 04:34 PM

I too liked this show I watched the first season the first time through, but then sort of trailed off, and watched it intermittenly. I liked Geribaldi the best he is the kick a$$/comic relief.

elektra 05-16-01 05:01 PM

How about this one:

"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut your head off and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I want to look up into your lifeless eyes and wave like this. (beat) Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden."

You just gotta live the prose on this show!

Yes, I love this particular quote I'm using as a signature. It's hard to part with.

Orson 05-16-01 10:20 PM

I always loved the volatile and unpredictable G'Kar/Mollari relationship. Top-notch Humor & Drama, often in the same episode.

Unfortunately for us in the UK, Channel 4 decided to show B5 series at 11am (while most fans were at work!). AND it was cut! AND they decided to put a HUGE channel logo in the bottom right corner. AND they decided to put a LARGE clock in the bottom left corner. (I can only presume that they felt B5 fans are constantly wondering what time it is...WTF??? :confused: ) So pity us poor Brits before you decide to moan about your local network. Then moan... I know I did. It's the only way the idiot netowrks and their clueless schedulers will ever learn (if that's possible).

[Edited by Orson on 05-16-01 at 08:23 PM]

Rand 05-17-01 11:06 AM

valkyrie, Your in for a treat, the third season
of B5 was it's best, imo. And of course it was
the only season from which Warner released no
laser discs. :(

valkyrie 05-17-01 01:48 PM

Really? Weird... Maybe they'll fix that when the DVD's come along, no? :) We can hope.

I'm really looking foward to the Shadow War. I want to see the fleets of White Stars romping on some Shadow ships.

(As you can tell, I was always a fan of the CGI stuff - Centari/Narn battles, raider attacks, you name it).

elektra 05-17-01 01:50 PM

I love the White Star design and I agree with Ivanova, I'll take 2. However, the Shadow vessels were NICELY done.

Okay, show of hands, who here wants a Minbari Fighting Pike (aka den'bok)?

elektra 05-17-01 07:00 PM

For those who don't know

No one responded to my earlier questions, so I'm only guessing that everyone already knows about the new B5 show being done on the SciFi Channel.

A couple of links for those who don't:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-s...3/20/15.20.sfc

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-s...5/11/11.30.sfc

das Monkey 05-18-01 09:20 AM

Re: For those who don't know

Originally posted by elektra
No one responded to my earlier questions, so I'm only guessing that everyone already knows about the new B5 show being done on the SciFi Channel.

Sorry I didn't respond. I thought it was a given when I saw posts saying how much they were looking forward to the new telefilm.

As for a den'bok, I could go for one. Tho, I'd rather have a Marcus or Lennier hanging around to do my ass-whipping for me.

<B>valkyrie</B>, to echo what's already been said, 3rd Season is the best of the 5 (tho all are good). Make sure you don't miss an episode.

Which reminds me, anyone else notice how SciFi has reworked the schedule to show better episodes on Fridays? A couple of times now, they've reordered the show just a bit to move a kickass episode which would normally air on Monday to the Friday spot. I assume it's because they want the leadin to Friday Prime, but maybe there's another reason?

das

x-filesfan 05-18-01 12:07 PM

I'm glad to see other B5 fans!

I remember when I thought the epitome of sci-fi was STTNG!

Little did I know that there are problems that take more than one concise, hour-long episode to resolve.

I agree with thejammy that the best part was that the show was all pre-written. It makes life some much easier on the viewer. I love X-Files, but it does makes me NUTS that certain questions are asked, never to be answered and that there are inconsistencies throughout.

I am ready for the DVD's and the new series. I have the CH tapes (through most of season 2), but shudder everytime I write the check for 25.44 (for a stupid tape). The one reason I have not stopped immediately is that I want to see how the DVD's get released. I want entire seasons. I don't want a company to decide which episodes are the best, I have my own opinions...

elektra 05-18-01 09:16 PM

x-filesfan - Howdy! Some of us even translate over to X-Files fans as well! ;)

Yea, I'm hoping they do the DVD's by seaons; if not, I won't be buying. That's why I stopped buying the Trek DVD's. Too expensive and not enough bonus stuff to even make it worthwhile.

Hoc 05-22-01 04:36 PM

I was a huge fan from about the third episode or so. I saw the first episode of the first season, and felt that: 1) the series seemed to take itself too seriously; and 2) the special effects were more important than the character development and storyline. So, I missed the second episode, and then decided to give it another chance with the third. I was hooked. I think that was the "Deathwalker" one.

I thought that episode, as well as the one with the child whose parents would not let him have an operation, were among the best in the series. But I watched the show faithfully all the way from UPN through TNT. Then I taped all the episodes in sequence on VHS when it was re-shown in sequence on TNT nightly. I also watched all the movies, and that spinoff series (that was actually quite good) that lasted only a season or so on TNT.

I'm not watching it now on SciFi, but you can bet I'll buy the DVD set when it's finally released.

jade 06-01-01 04:55 PM

It made me so glad to see this thread! I too am a big fan, and taped every episode when it was on TNT....rather than re-taping now that SciFi has it in widescreen, I'll just (im)patiently wait for the DVDs.

I agree that season 3 has some of the best episodes. If you've been following the series (and haven't seen it all yet), next week "War Without End" parts 1 & 2 will be on. For me, that's one of the most interesting stories in the series....but I'll leave it at that as to not to spoil it. :) "Z'ha'dum" is another EXCELLENT episode. I also love "And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place".

One of the best resources online is the Lurker's Guide to B5: http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html
During it's original run, JMS often answered questions and discussed each episode, and the comments are all archived here.

I was a HUGE TNG fan, and didn't think I'd find a replacement when it went off the air. DS9 was ok, but B5 wasn't on a local channel during its original run, so I saw it first on TNT and *LOVED* it. I still find myself comparing it to TNG: there are good episodes and bad, and sometimes the characters and dialog are blah, but when it IS a good episode, it tends to be a really good one!

And now I'm hooked on Farscape, and at least they're already releasing good DVDs. :)

elektra 06-01-01 08:18 PM

Jade - yes!!!! War Without End is exceptional and the things you discover in that - just amazing. I hope that you are also excited about the new show as well.

And the Rock... good G'kar stuff. I love how this season all comes together.

elektra 06-03-01 08:56 PM

We stand between the darkness and the light. We stand at the bridge and no one may cross. I wanna be a Ranger.

LuCiFeR 06-04-01 09:57 AM

anyone notice that scifi's airing of B5 is not TRUE widescreen, you can see their faces being cut from bottom or top on closeups etc.