Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you Still like SNL?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Do you Still like SNL?

Old 05-14-01, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone talks about how things that are older are better (back in the day)...but what do you guys think? I don't really mind them so much...some can really be funny!
Old 05-14-01, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I usually have it on, listening to it as background noise, just in case there's a funny skit. Usually there isn't though.
Old 05-14-01, 01:59 AM
Banned

SNL is horrible
Old 05-14-01, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't watch it much, but there are occasionally funny skits. There are way too many recurring character skits that are not funny. When there are skits that require writing and innovation instead of being largely written or improvised by one of their jack-ass stars, they tend to win in my book. For example, many of the political skits, current events skits (that Moulin-Rouge skit was pretty funny) and host-related skits are funny (Save the Starving Actresses was funny). Like many skits by comediennes in SNL history, the Destiny's Child, Home shows, etc are the worst offenders.
Old 05-14-01, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I stopped watching it somewhere between 10 and 15 years ago when it stopped being funny.
Old 05-14-01, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't watch the show anymore as it has gotten worse in recent years. I always watched when the cast included Kevin Nealon and Dana Carvey...they were funny.
Old 05-14-01, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I definately miss the old days: Samurai Tailor, Land Shark, The Wild and Crazy Guys, Coneheads and then a little later the Eddie Murphy stuff like Gumby and Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood.

The last several years, IMO, have been crap. If they would get themselves some new writers maybe they could salvage it as I do like some of the talent.
Old 05-14-01, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Waa waa .... everyone's always whining about the old days. SNL will never be as funny as it's greatest moments, but even in its best years, there were some really bad episodes, even some really bad casts. Anyway, this newer cast is starting to figure it out. Every episode contains at least 2 REALLY funny skits. I usually give up on the show around Weekend Update, as they just can't fill 90 minutes with quality, but it's still worth my time to watch it when it's on.

das
Old 05-14-01, 10:36 AM

It's become so much better to watch since I got a ReplayTV. I record it and watch it the next day, zapping out the multiple commercial breaks and horrid musical acts.

The show turns into about 40 minutes long and is tolerable that way.
Old 05-14-01, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sometimes if I'm home, I'll flip it on. I do love the Jeopardy skits (especially with Sean Connery). The Robert Smigel cartoons are the best parts.