DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Favorite Deep Space 9 moments (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/108229-favorite-deep-space-9-moments.html)

pezboy 05-13-01 03:56 PM

In celebration (?) of the finish of ST:VOY, I thought it would be nice to hark back to the greatest of all Star Trek series: DS9. Post your fav moments/episodes/lines here:

I became an absolute DS9 addict midway through the series run. It was the episode Odo and Kira crash landed on some planet or something and Kira stepped on some crystal-thingy that immobilized her and started growing all over her. Odo stayed with her and just as she was about to be engulfed, he confessed his love for her. AND THEN SHE SAID SHE FELT THE SAME WAY!! I was stunned. I couldn't think of any instance before that when Odo let on his feelings. Of course, Kira turns out to be the female shape-shifter, trying to test/trick Odo. He goes back to DS9 furious at his people, embarrased over his outpouring of emotion, and totally wary of Kira. It was one of the only times I can recall watching a Star Trek episode and just being shocked and surprised.

Anyone else?

McHawkson 05-13-01 06:15 PM

Let's see... "Children of Time" probably my most favorite episode.

Copying off from Startrek.com:

In the Gamma Quadrant, Dax insists on investigating a planet surrounded by an energy barrier. But the barrier cripples the Defiant and causes Kira to be "duplicated" for a moment -- she will die without eventual medical attention back on Deep Space Nine. A colony lives on the planet, and the leader, Miranda O'Brien, reveals that in two days, when the Defiant departs, the barrier will cause the ship to crash on the planet -- 200 years in the past. Stranded for life, the crew will found this colony. The planet, Gaia, is populated by their descendants! Sisko realizes that this foreknowledge will allow his crew to now avoid that crash, but by altering history, the colony will cease to exist. However, Dax's descendant, Yedrin, has a plan to duplicate the Defiant when it reenters the barrier, allowing the original crew to return home while the duplicate crew can fulfill its destiny by crashing on the planet.

Odo's older self is still alive after 200 years, and looks more human. He reveals to a stunned Kira that he has always been in love with her. Meanwhile, Dax learns Yedrin's real plan is to recreate the crash, ensuring that his people do survive.

Yedrin admits that, as the current host of the Dax symbiont, he feels responsible to protect the society Jadzia's judgment error helped to create. Sisko sympathizes, but will not sacrifice Kira's life or ask his crew to leave behind their own lives just to guarantee the continued existence of their descendants. However, Kira feels they can't run away from their destiny -- even if that means she has to die.

Sisko is still unwilling to passively let history repeat itself. He and his sad crew join their descendants for a planting ritual on what will be their final day of existence. O'Brien becomes deeply moved by their plight. Unable to bear the thought of them vanishing, he and the others realize they can't let these people die.

The older Odo tries to convince Kira to not sacrifice herself, but Sisko's people prepare to recreate the crash and face their destiny. However, at the crucial moment, the Defiant veers off course -- someone changed the flight plan. They safely exit the barrier, and their descendants vanish as if they never existed. Later, the "real" Odo reveals to Kira that it was the older Odo who sabotaged the ship -- sacrificing the colony just to give Kira and his younger self a chance at love. After this shocking revelation, the old friends wonder where their relationship will go next.

Fielding Mellish 05-13-01 10:22 PM

Trials and Tribble-ations. One of Trek's finest hours.

Cat 05-13-01 11:42 PM

Pretty much the whole "Dominion War" storyline was cool. DS9 just did so many things that were outside of the normal Star Trek storylines. They seemed to take more chances than Voyager could ever dream of.

Cat

Kelric 05-14-01 07:05 AM

I forget the name, but the episode where Sisko keeps having flashes of being a writer in the early twentieth century. Very well done.

Also, "The Visitor," where Sisko keeps jumping through time as Jake gets older.

Jadzia 05-14-01 09:21 AM

Ditto on "The Visitor", hands down my favorite hour of Trek, ever.

I have seen that episode no less than 6 times and I still cry every time at the end when the Jake asks his dad if anything is wrong and Ben hugs him fiercely saying "Not any more."

I also lose it when the elderly Jake tells Ben he is killing himself in order to set the timeline straight and Ben says "No, son, not for me!" and Jake says "For you...and for the boy I used to be. He needed his father."

I love that episode!!!

Slumbering Fist 05-14-01 09:43 AM

Two Worf comic relief moments, 1)The Bajorans are having some big festival, and Worf grumbles at all the celebration. Kira asks him, "Dont the Klingons have any gods?" and he says, "We did,...but we killed them." 2)During the baseball game against the Vulcans. Everyone razzes with, "Hey batter, batter." but Worf says, "Death to the opposition."

And, uhhh any time Ezri Dax is on screen. Have to say, i wish it could have been extended to one more season just for her.

Well, this is actually a sour spot for me because i'm one of those who wrote it off midway through the first season and only recently (and by accident) started watching it in reruns and found out how good it got.

adamblast 05-14-01 01:22 PM

Well, I gotta say that the alternate reality evil-lesbian-Kira was pretty hot... :)

Kelric 05-14-01 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Jadzia
Ditto on "The Visitor", hands down my favorite hour of Trek, ever.

I have seen that episode no less than 6 times and I still cry every time at the end when the Jake asks his dad if anything is wrong and Ben hugs him fiercely saying "Not any more."

I also lose it when the elderly Jake tells Ben he is killing himself in order to set the timeline straight and Ben says "No, son, not for me!" and Jake says "For you...and for the boy I used to be. He needed his father."

I love that episode!!!

Jadzia - We seem to have similar tastes in TV! :)

mikej 05-14-01 04:21 PM

Kerlic,

I think the episode with Sisko as a 20th century writer is called is Far Beyond the Stars.

Mike

Orson 05-14-01 10:31 PM

Any episode with the Intendent! Yeah BABY! :D