Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

X-Files Series Finale Part 1 TONIGHT!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-01, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comments? Questions? Reactions? Predictions? Post them all here! PLEASE remember to use spoiler tags!!

Chris Carter said this two parter will be the series finale of ALL 8 years of the X-Files. This is the series finale. There will not be a season 9.

Old 05-13-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by THX 1138

Chris Carter said this two parter will be the series finale of ALL 8 years of the X-Files. This is the series finale. There will not be a season 9.

Where did you read this?
Old 05-13-01, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Puddy

Where did you read this?
i was thinking the same thing. from whence did this info come?
Old 05-13-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hope there is no Season 9. It has gone on long enough. Both Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny have said the show has run its course and I agree.
Old 05-13-01, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They're calling it the SEASON finale, not the SERIES Finale. I think there will be a nine.

Either way it was quite good tonight IMO.
Old 05-13-01, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's good, but I don't know where they are going with this one... whatever happened to the whole faceless vs. clone saga?? Now they just throw in these weirdo guys with stuff on the neck and every episode I'm thinking Mulder will pull out the spike thing they used to jab in the neck to kill the clones. I can't see how this would be a series finale... he should at least give us a movie or something unless of course Scully's baby is the savior and they just end it with that discovery (kinda like The Matrix does).
Old 05-13-01, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I thought the series had run its course back in 1998 and was prime to go into history and let movies continue the narrative. I hope they take that route after this season. BTW, thought tonight's episode was above average, and look forward to the finale. Any chance of old Cigarette Man making a final appearance?
Old 05-13-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was a great show. I don't think it's the end of the series. I think that next year Chris Carter won't do many shows, David is pretty much gone, Gillian said she is 50/50 on coming back (although she is under contract for a ninth season) and the new guy is signed for another year.

Did anyone have any flashbacks to Terminator 2 during this show?

Was this the 1st X-Files to have the warning at the beginning? That was really strange....

IMO, I think the baby will be a girl: There are references to the baby be "perfect" (which is steriotypical of female description [sugar & spice]) and Mulder lost his sister which started this whole thing (sort of). So did Scully. But I can't figure out why the aliens would be out to destroy this miracle "higher power god-like" baby. Unless they know it will be Alanis Morrisette...heh heh.
Old 05-13-01, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great episode. Can't wait for next week. I hope there will be at least 1 more season. This doesn't seem like it would be the end.

I was thinking... Imagine... 8 years ago, Scully had no idea what she was getting into when she was teamed with Mulder, now she's having an aliens baby who might just be a god-like savior. Whoa.
Old 05-14-01, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All I have to say about tonight's episode is Holy Crap! I can't wait 'till next week and the finale.

THX 1138: Where did you hear or read that Carter said this was it?

-CM-

Old 05-14-01, 07:04 AM

Scully's baby

Here is my theory on what Scully's baby is:

I think Scully and her pregnancy is suppose to symbolize the Virgin Mary having Jesus. There are many references: For example, everybody saids it was a miracle for a barren woman to get pregnant all of a sudden. It's not Mulder's baby since it won't take. The baby is not a human alien hybrid but a "perfect" human, more human than human. I think God in his divine intervention to save mankind blessed Scully with a baby whose unique and perfect DNA can fight against the impending alien invasion. I think this baby is the key to the whole invasion because it will not be vulnerable to the black oil, which is the primary weapon the alien will use against mankind. Kind of like T2's John Connor and Matrix's Neo. Scully's baby is THE ONE. HAHAHA!!

Later.
Old 05-14-01, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by POWERBOMB

Was this the 1st X-Files to have the warning at the beginning? That was really strange....
Pretty sure "Home" from season 4 was the first episode of X-Files with a warning.
Old 05-14-01, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Scully's baby

Originally posted by hongkongdvd
Here is my theory on what Scully's baby is:

I think Scully and her pregnancy is suppose to symbolize the Virgin Mary having Jesus. There are many references: For example, everybody saids it was a miracle for a barren woman to get pregnant all of a sudden. It's not Mulder's baby since it won't take. The baby is not a human alien hybrid but a "perfect" human, more human than human. I think God in his divine intervention to save mankind blessed Scully with a baby whose unique and perfect DNA can fight against the impending alien invasion. I think this baby is the key to the whole invasion because it will not be vulnerable to the black oil, which is the primary weapon the alien will use against mankind. Kind of like T2's John Connor and Matrix's Neo. Scully's baby is THE ONE. HAHAHA!!

Later.

All I can say is we'll see. I don't wanna buy into this Divine Intervention thing. Show's you what my beliefs are huh? I'm more willing to buy into an Alien Conspiracy than a God one
Old 05-14-01, 11:25 AM

The X-Files has brought religion into the show many times. Remember, an alien spacecraft had sections of the Bible, the Koran, and other religious books on it. In this episode they told us the aliens fear God, or perfection, or a power higher than their own.

Carter has said 8 years of The X-Files is coming to an end, not that the show is ending. If it goes on, any plot involving the conspiracy will end next week, leaving new plots for next year. If it's canceled, the cliffhanger next wek will continue in the movie.

My theory for the finale:

Scully's baby is born and the aliens try to kill her and child, but it doesn't work somehow. (Maybe the black oil doesn't take.) Basically, the kid is a miracle. Krycek dies defending the child, and everybody realizes the baby is not safe with the invasion coming, etc. So, Mulder volunteers to take the kid into hiding until it's safe. So, Mulder leaves to raise God. Scully and Doggett stay to run the X-Files.

This works if the show is renewed for next year because 1)Duchovny has said he won't come back as a regular, so it gets rid of his character and 2) Next season would have to have Scully and Doggett on The X-Files, until Annabeth Gish takes over, so it leaves room for Scully to leave the show to "find Mulder and her baby," and 3) if the show ends and there's a movie, it starts off where the show ended, with the invasion coming and Mulder protecting the kid while Doggett and Scully run around and shoot people.
Old 05-14-01, 11:58 AM

I enjoyed last night's episode,too. Frankly, Billy scares the hell out of me. I have a great fear of things that just won't die. Can't kill him by shooting him, can't kill him by running him over...

Sorta off the subject, but does anyone have any thoughts about DD's new movie "Evolution"? Last night was the first time I have seen the trailer. It seemed kind of cryptic to me, but I watched the online trailers this morning and it seemed pretty funny. Is he running back to the whole sci-fi/alien genre since his romantic comedies have sucked at the box office?
Old 05-14-01, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Basically, he and Ivan Reitman (the director) wanted to get together and do a movie. Revolution was a serious movie but Reitman figured out that wouldn't work out too well. So they made it funny. It echos Ghostbusters a lot (which Reitman also produced and directed) and it looks hilarious. Duchovny doesn't have to stretch very far it looks like. I am pretty excited about the movie, but I could be disappointed like recent Reitman films.

I have heard nothing about whether season 9 is happening or not. I have found THX to like to spread rumors a lot. There have been warnings before X-Files before like last night. The post-Super Bowl X-Files also had the warning before it years ago.

I enjoyed last night's episode, but I am not getting my hope up for next week as I have been disappointed in 2nd parters for a long time. The last 2nd parter I remember liking is when Mulder went to the sub in Antarctica to hunt down the Bounty Hunter.
Old 05-14-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That's not accurate. Someone misunderstood what Chris said here... He did say he considered this two-parter to be the grand finale to the whole 8-season story arc. They were unsure whether or not 9th season would happen, so they decided to finish up all the major plot holes--or at least as much as they ever do on X-Files...

There will definitely be a 9th season now, but there will be little or no major "conspiracy" threads from past season anymore. It's all single-episode eps, or a new shorter arc, from here on.

Which is probably a good thing. This show is waaay past its shark jump, so it's better for them to bring in fresh material rather than drag out the same old storylines any farther...
Old 05-14-01, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
[BAny chance of old Cigarette Man making a final appearance? [/B]
I think he is really dead....
if he does make another appearance, that is really poor, even for the X-files........
whatever happened to Marita after she and Krycek killed CSM?
Old 05-14-01, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with a lot of the above posts. Great theories everyone...especially the "God" one, very interesting stuff. I really hope they just start focusing more on the movies, and keeping all of the plot lines out of the series. This is all assuming that they keep the series going. I really don't care for that new girl though...maybe she'll grow on me. However, Doggett is great! Does anyone have any info on when the next X-Files movie will be made?
Old 05-14-01, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
IMO, too much of the same old crap consists of "Creature of the week" type episodes, a trend which the show seems to have adapted in the past few seasons. Earlier episodes like "Our Town" had a true ring of suspense to them, not something you see anymore.
When did CSM die? Last I saw he had dinner with Scully and was hoping to cure his cancer disease. Also, what about that field in the desert we saw in Fight the Future? What about the genius boy? I think that Anderson should leave the show with Duchovny and allow for a fresh start with Gish and Patrick. OF course the best way is doing only movies, at that's what I think.
Old 05-14-01, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
[BWhen did CSM die?[/B]
It was either the last episode last season or one of the last ones...........Krycek and Marita felt they had been set up by CSM and went to "pay him a visit"....he was being taken care of by a home nurse, looked to be on his death bed anyway (he looked REALLY bad, and said that he was dying)....but for revenge they commandeered his wheelchair from the home nurse and rolled him down the stairs......
We never actually saw him die, but realistically, I doubt they would have left without making sure he was dead....
that nurse was not much of a threat....she basically just said something like "hey, you can't do that"
Old 05-17-01, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I don't know if this is a spoiler or not, but in the promos for the finale, they say someone will die. When I was on IMDB.com, I noticed that...

Spoiler:

...there was one surprising difference in how cast members are listed:

Most cast members are listed like this:

Mitch Pileggi .... FBI Assistant Director Walter Seregi Skinner (1994- )
Brian Thompson (I) .... Alien Bounty Hunter (1995-)

ie. there is no end date for their appearances on the show.

But the actor who plays Krycek is listed like this:

Nicholas Lea .... Alex Krycek (1994-2001)

If the year of his last appearance on the show is already known, does that mean the the character Krycek will die in the finale?