TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sopranos not going past next season.

Old 05-11-01, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GIST TV news

Sopranos Star Decries Show's Violence

May 10, 2001

James Gandolfini, who plays mobster Tony Soprano on HBO's hit series The Sopranos, says he is disturbed by the show's violence and that he is ready to take on completely different roles in the future.

Gandolfini told Britain's Daily Telegraph, "I don't think I will do a Mafia character again. I want to get away from the violence a little bit because it is starting to bother me personally." As for the future of The Sopranos, the actor acknowledged that the series will probably last one more season.

An HBO spokesperson said David Chase, the series' creator, doesn't know whether the show will continue for a fifth year, according to the New York Daily News. Chase has said that he plans to do only one more season of the show. Meanwhile, the representative did not rule out reports that Tony will be killed in a car bombing at the end of this season.

Gandolfini, no stranger to playing the heavy, has made a career of playing thugs in films such as Get Shorty, The Judge and True Romance. He admits he is disturbed by the fact that his Tony Soprano character has so many admirers.

"He killed his best friend," the star said. "That's why I can't believe it when people ask me to come and talk to their kindergarten class about Tony Soprano. It boggles my mind, and I say, 'Are you watching the show?' "

—Christine Champagne, Gist TV Staff

Old 05-11-01, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The fact that the show is lasting one more season has been known for a long time.
Old 05-11-01, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And has been talked about in this forum before if I remember.
Old 05-11-01, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had seen the same, as I think the show only had a 4 year deal to begin with. There had been some talk about continuing the show past that though. Kind of good to see a great show do what it came to do and go out on top.

Dave
Old 05-11-01, 01:57 PM

I think its funny that kindergarteners even know who Gandolfini is.
Old 05-11-01, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or disturbing..Well, maybe they remember him from 8MM.

Dave
Originally posted by fourwalker
I think its funny that kindergarteners even know who Gandolfini is.
Old 05-11-01, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dave,

Actually, Season 1 and 2 were done on a season by season basis. David Chase asked for a 2 season deal (Seasons 3 and 4) for HBO to sign onto so that he could meld a better overall storyline instead of having to write in 13 episode spurts. He got the chance to write an overall plot over 26 episodes. Chase has said time and time again that Season 4 will be the end.
Old 05-11-01, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dave99

that movie disturbed me.
Old 05-11-01, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by thejammy
Originally posted by Dave99

that movie disturbed me.
Moi aussi.
Old 05-12-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox
Dave,

Chase has said time and time again that Season 4 will be the end.
I think he said that Season 4 will be the end of his involvement. He left the possibilty open for the series continuing.
Old 05-12-01, 03:57 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
I'm sorry, but Gandolfini complaining about all the violence is really stupid. He signed onto the show knowing full well he would be a Mob Boss. What does he expect him to do, garden all day. Wait for the ducks to come back. Please.
Old 05-12-01, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He doesn't want to be type-cast as a mobster.
Old 05-12-01, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Just to be creative, the show could go on without him. I wonder who they could focus on after his departure. Maybe set it 15 years ahead with Anthony Jr. (okay lame). But it could be possible to go on without Gandolfini but I'm not sure if it would be any good.

BothanSpy
Old 05-12-01, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Robert
It's too late!
Old 05-13-01, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Robert
Then why the hell take the role in The Mexican as a mobster killer? He already is type cast because he has played mostly the same characters throughout his career.
Old 05-13-01, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by bothanspy
Just to be creative, the show could go on without him. I wonder who they could focus on after his departure. Maybe set it 15 years ahead with Anthony Jr. (okay lame). But it could be possible to go on without Gandolfini but I'm not sure if it would be any good.
I know. I can't think of any other Mafia movies/stories where the head of the family dies and then the movie follows his son's ascent into power. If someone did do that, it probably would have been lame.

Seriously though, I doubt that type of thing would happen with the Sopranos. It would just look too much like a rip-off of The Godfather. Of course, as the Hollywood saying goes - where there's a till, there's a way. And I can't imagine Robert Iler (Anthony Jr.) filling Gandolfini's shoes the way Pacino filled Brando's.
Old 05-14-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by AgtFox
Dave,

Actually, Season 1 and 2 were done on a season by season basis. David Chase asked for a 2 season deal (Seasons 3 and 4) for HBO to sign onto so that he could meld a better overall storyline instead of having to write in 13 episode spurts. He got the chance to write an overall plot over 26 episodes. Chase has said time and time again that Season 4 will be the end.

The season 3/4 overall plotline makes sense because it seems like there are a lot of things that have been left dangling (which certainly couldn't all be addressed in the last episode).
Old 05-14-01, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What they should do is make one more season but make the final episode a feature film to be released in theaters.

Bada bing!
Old 05-15-01, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by bothanspy

BothanSpy
I had thought about that too.

I would LOVE to see more of Tony's childhood.

Back when his dad and Jr. were kickin's butt in the '50's and '60's.
Old 05-16-01, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I find it really amusing that stars like Gandolfini (and Duchuvney and Caruso, etc) struggle for years or decades in thankless supporting roles, and then finally when they land a huge hit that rockets them to the upper level of celebrity they complain of being typecast and trapped. You're a huge friggin' star, enjoy it! I'm sure Gandolfini is just posturing a' la David Duchuvney and will re-up if the money is there. I'm sure HBO knows what the show means for the network (it's the main reason I subscribe); they'll make him an offer he can't refuse.

All this complaining makes me have more respect for George Clooney. When ER made him a huge star, he got tons of movie offers. He made his movies in the offseason and didn't complain about his TV show commitments or type-casting. He never asked for a single raise during his five-year contract. He didn't play any games when his contract was coming up, gave plenty of notice of his pending departure, and walked away gracefully before the show went into the toilet. Say what you will about George; he was a crappy Batman, but he's a class act.