DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NJ Congresswoman wants Congress to condemn the Sopranos (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/107237-nj-congresswoman-wants-congress-condemn-sopranos.html)

Yancey 05-09-01 11:04 AM

Here is the story:

WASHINGTON (AP) - A New Jersey congresswoman, the granddaughter of Italian immigrants, wants the House of Representatives to denounce the cable television series The Sopranos for ''unfair stereotyping.''

Representative Marge Roukema, a Republican, is asking other legislators to sign onto a resolution she is drafting that will praise Italian-Americans for their civic contributions and criticize movies and television shows that portray them as gangsters.

''People stop me in the grocery store, objecting to (The Sopranos),'' Roukema said Tuesday. ''I decided this has gotten to be so discriminatory and stereotypical of Italian-Americans as mobsters, and denigrating women and families, that I thought I have to speak out.''

The HBO series focuses on fictional mob boss Tony Soprano and his dual struggles heading a suburban New Jersey family and an organized crime family.

Roukema said she will introduce her resolution within the next two weeks. Congressional resolutions are statements of opinion and, even if passed, do not carry the weight of law.

This is just so frustrating. I mean, why do this? Hesh is the only Jewish character on the show, does that mean all Jews are in the Mafia? I think people who think that a TV character is supposed to reflect them should maybe not be feeling so self important.

Any opinions?

Red Dog 05-09-01 11:12 AM

-rolleyes-

thejammy 05-09-01 02:26 PM

-other-

Rand 05-09-01 02:50 PM

I'm so sick of this pc crap that living in
another country is becoming more and more
attractive. :yack:

freedexter 05-09-01 03:02 PM

Isn't there a flaw in logic? There's that whole "free speech" thing, and wouldn't that make the government forbidden to denounce or not approve of any published work, including a TV show?

Red Dog 05-09-01 03:09 PM

I love where it says: "people are stopping me in the grocery store objecting to it." First off, do Congressmen really go to the grocery store? Second, if people object to it, just don't watch it. Third, this is the most troubling thing that people can think of while talking to their Congressman? That is truly pathetic.

Ogre332 05-09-01 03:55 PM

how bout this...

i'd like to see this headline:

AMERICAN PEOPLE CONDEMN CONGRESS FOR WASTING TIME AND MONEY

Boot 05-10-01 09:22 AM

I think we white guys should rise up and demand that Congress condemn Friends for portraying all white guys as dorky idiots. Who's with me?

GuessWho 05-10-01 09:23 AM

Condemn Star Wars!!!!

Us cracka white people are sick of the stereotype that we all while, thanks to Luke Skywalker and his Toshi Station crap.

:rolleyes: