TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

X-Files 5/6/2001

Old 05-06-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Ahh, good old Town of Ellicott NY. It's my hometown. Well Ellicott is really just a township, the city is Jamestown.

And it's western NY not upstate. about 30 miles from Lake Erie

http://www.chautauquacounty.com/directory.html

The road marked 17 is now Interstate 86

[Edited by mikehunt on 05-06-01 at 06:23 PM]
Old 05-06-01, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a very interesting episode, although I do like at the end how she asks how they got back from Antartica at the end of the movie but Scully just changes, the subject. I personnally didn't like that agent very much though, she didn't fit in at all, but seeing Mulder, Scully and Doggett at the end seemed just right, he fits in great with the other 2 but I still prefer Mulder and would love to see him back next season.
Old 05-06-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
cool that they mentioned the movie, but I wanted an answer.
also cool that The Town of Ellicott was on the X-Files

Originally posted by Feneant
Not a very interesting episode, although I do like at the end how she asks how they got back from Antartica at the end of the movie but Scully just changes, the subject. I personnally didn't like that agent very much though, she didn't fit in at all, but seeing Mulder, Scully and Doggett at the end seemed just right, he fits in great with the other 2 but I still prefer Mulder and would love to see him back next season.
Old 05-06-01, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a great episode. Could have shown more of why he did what he did (scientist) anbd the ending was hysterical. I was laughing the minute she said antartica and I figured where she was going with that.
Old 05-07-01, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, sort of an interesting episode as it sets up Doggett as THE guy working on the X-Files in the FBI. Don't know how much longer Mulder can afford to fly around to X-Files cases without the FBI footing his travel expenses. He needs to get a "contractor" gig with the FBI. I think Annabeth Gish's character, Monica Reyes, will be introduced to fill in for Scully really soon, like next week. That Agent Harrison (from the Accounting department - of all places) reminded me of the Lacey Chabert character on "Lost In Space" Penny Robinson in her eagerness and speech pattern/voice quality.

The reference to the X-Files movie was pretty funny as well.

Thankfully we finally are getting to the last 2 shows of the season and get to see this "miracle" baby of Scully's.
Old 05-07-01, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

omd...i died when she asked how they got out of the arctic circle....

too funny. pretty good episode. i'm liking doggett more each week.

cranky.
Old 05-07-01, 08:44 AM

Why didn't Dogget just toss Mulder his gun, rather than the two of them going through that elaborate "aim towards my voice" bit?

The episode was somewhat unsatisfying; it could have used more background on the reptile/man. The special effects were pretty good, though.
Old 05-07-01, 10:30 AM

I think the episode was a very small "thank you" to the fans. It was written and directed by Frank Spotnitz, which doesn't happen often. Spotnitz has said this season will wrap up all the years of the X-Files, whether they come back or not. I think the accountant was a hilarious device for having a fan on the show (as every reference she made was an old X-Files episode.) And Scully and Mulder having that argument at the end was a great conclusion to the "Scully and Mulder" X-Files. From now on, it's going to be different, a team effort, a new formula that will open the show up to either new levels next season or new movies. I consider this episode not only to be the finale of the pre-Doggett X-Files, but also a huge "Thanks" to the fans of each season of the show.
Old 05-07-01, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Zien
I think the episode was a very small "thank you" to the fans. It was written and directed by Frank Spotnitz, which doesn't happen often. Spotnitz has said this season will wrap up all the years of the X-Files, whether they come back or not. I think the accountant was a hilarious device for having a fan on the show (as every reference she made was an old X-Files episode.) And Scully and Mulder having that argument at the end was a great conclusion to the "Scully and Mulder" X-Files. From now on, it's going to be different, a team effort, a new formula that will open the show up to either new levels next season or new movies. I consider this episode not only to be the finale of the pre-Doggett X-Files, but also a huge "Thanks" to the fans of each season of the show.
I thought it funny (probably just serendipity) that the accountant mentioned the "liver-eating mutant" the same night that Doug Hutchinson guest appeared on THE PRACTICE.
Old 05-07-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
cool that they mentioned the movie, but I wanted an answer.
nah. an answer would have made it not funny.
Old 05-07-01, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only problem I have with Doggett is Robert Patrick because in the dark scenes, the way they film him, as his head turns from right to left, I keep expecting a big hole in his head from the gunshot from Sarah Connor in T2 when he played the T1000.
Old 05-08-01, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hate these filler episodes... or what I like to refer to as "man eating plant episodes"

How come the only time they ever have any character depth or progression of the overall show its in the conspiracy episodes. All this episode did was introduce characters we'll never see again, and the whole ordeal will be forgotten in next week's episode. *yawn*
Old 05-08-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I hate these filler episodes... or what I like to refer to as "man eating plant episodes"

How come the only time they ever have any character depth or progression of the overall show its in the conspiracy episodes. All this episode did was introduce characters we'll never see again, and the whole ordeal will be forgotten in next week's episode. *yawn*
As someone mentioned above, I think this episode clearly showed a shift in the X-files to Dogget being "THE X-FILES". He is clearly now the major player; it is no longer Scully. Even Fox was very hesitant before getting involved so he was even less enthusiastic than Scully. I don't see this episode as filler at all.
Whoever guessed that Reyes could be the next agent....that's a good guess. I wonder what will happen now. I would like to see Skinner get more involved....that has been building for a while.
Old 05-08-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Patman
The only problem I have with Doggett is Robert Patrick because in the dark scenes, the way they film him...
Actaully, it might just be me, but, now that hes getting older, he looks like a really butch elderly lesbian.

i thought the episode stunk, it was rather thrill-less and there were no even half-hearted attempts at plausability. i know its a fantasy show, but when they have Dogget falling 30 feet and not breaking anything, the "shoot at my voice" bit, the lackluster creature explanation (or lack of one), and unemployed Mulder easlily covorting to the scene, were all just a bit too much. The joke about that very fact at the end didnt help matters for me, because you can suspend a viewers disbelief when you entertain them, so i guess i wasnt entertained.
Old 05-08-01, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Should we find solace in that Gillian Anderson is signed for the 9th season should they bring the show back? (She had to sign for season 8 AND 9 to get the pay increase for season 8).
Old 05-08-01, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

they should end it at teh end of this season, then do movies every 1.5-2 years
Dogget isn't terrible, but it's way better with mulder
Old 05-08-01, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kind of like the "creature" based episodes.....
Old 05-09-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by JaxComet

How come the only time they ever have any character depth or progression of the overall show its in the conspiracy episodes.
I kind of like the "creature" based episodes.....
i'll second that, mostly the conspiracy episodes irritate me, and i think the shows strongest episodes are the stand alone episodes, like the Fluke Man, the Freak Show, the Bruce Cambell as a demon one, "Beyond the Sea", and my favorite "Home", with the inbred family.
Old 05-10-01, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll like the conspiracy epsisodes more when all the DVDs come out. It is annoying that there is such a wait for the next piece of the conspiracy puzzle.

This episode looked real bad in the previews but the new "agent" was the only thing that made it fun and entertaining. The joke at the end was a pretty good way of saving the entire episode.