DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Colby is an Idiot (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/105880-colby-idiot.html)

Struz 05-04-01 07:26 AM

What the hell is this guy thinking ?

He had the million dollars locked up. Why would he vote Keith off and go against Tina in the final round ?

He would have won the million easily against Keith.

I was pissed that Tina won. She did NOTHING the whole time she was there. She won one reward challenge. Colby dragged her along to the finals and then she takes the million.

I can't believe Alicia voted for Tina. I figured she would vote for Colby because she's athletic and would appreciate how Colby dominated everyone else.

Plus, Tina is already wealthy.

Why would he settle for 2nd place when he had 1st place locked up ?

Dubya 05-04-01 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Struz

Why would he settle for 2nd place when he had 1st place locked up ?

Because he's a dumbass.

Patman 05-04-01 08:06 AM

The Day after: I'm still miffed! Colby's still a maroon for picking Tina!

The rule change has to be some way of making the survivors earn their vote each and every week in the challenges. Maybe the top (n-2) finishers in the immunity challenges (n = total number of survivors left from the previous tribal council) get to vote in upcoming tribal council. This would eliminate the weaker performers in the long run.

It totally irks me that high achievers don't get the big prize due the the politicking and the pandering for votes by the conniving. I sure Tina knew she needed the swing vote: Elisabeth, so she used that Survivor trust fund idea of hers to garner Elisabeth's vote. Un-Freaking-believable!

I was disappointed that Alicia voted for Tina because you'd think an physical and achievement-oriented woman would give more props to someone like Colby who dug down deep, lugging a huge "X" on his chest as the guy to get rid of for final 5-6 weeks in a row and still came up big on all the immunity challenges, even the ones requiring mental capacity.

I really don't think Tina would have picked Colby had she won the final immunity challenge.

Iron Chef 05-04-01 08:07 AM

Colby is the weakest link.

Good bye.

What an idiot.

Patman 05-04-01 08:40 AM

Plain and simple:

Colby only won the "outplay" portion of the game, but not the other two:

Outlast
Outwit

SmackDaddy 05-04-01 08:47 AM

I wouldn't say she did nothing. She walked awaywith a cool million!!

I would say she did everything right. It's not the physically strongest who will win this game. The winners so far prove that.

I don't think anything should be changed. It's a battle of mental strength as much as physical. Colby just had to have a brain fart at the wrong time.

Dubya 05-04-01 08:52 AM

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
Colby just had to have a brain fart at the wrong time.
She just reminded him of his "mom" :D

Seagraves 05-04-01 09:21 AM

You guys are always attacking Colby. I for one love the guy. He's physically dominant, and above all else, he's a NICE guy. You see, I think Colby thought along these lines: he wasn't very fond of Keith, yet he really liked Tina. He thought Tina was the better person out of her and Keith, and thus he would like to give her a fair shot at winning the million, as opposed to him being selfish and kicking off the better person just so he could win the million. Plus, you have to think that MAYBE he was thinking that if he gave away a sure shot at winning the million, maybe the jury would think of him as such a nice guy and vote for him anyway.

But the real deal is this: Tina's an old bag, who's a coniving and backstabbing beeyitch. Sure, Colby likes her. But he's one of the few people out there. He probably thought, well, this chick isn't going to be getting too much money after all of this is over, unless she's going to be plastered on Woman's Day for the next four years, and that's not much money. He, on the other hand, will get TONS of money (a lot more than the million he would have won.) I gurantee you he'll make between $2-10 million in endorsments. So you see, he comes out on top in both ways: He's a real nice guy, and gave Tina the million practically, plus he'll make a Hell of a lot more than her anyway.

Congrats Colby! :)

Jadzia 05-04-01 09:38 AM

I'm sooooooo glad Colby didn't win,

That would be like the high school jock who already wins everything getting the prize. I am happy Tina took it. Go underdog!

Besides it was a lot easier for him to win all those challenges once he won a few food challenges in a row. He was relatively well-fed compared to Tina and Keith who had to last the same amount of time with only a little rice.

Struz 05-04-01 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Seagraves

He probably thought, well, this chick isn't going to be getting too much money after all of this is over, unless she's going to be plastered on Woman's Day for the next four years, and that's not much money. He, on the other hand, will get TONS of money (a lot more than the million he would have won.) I gurantee you he'll make between $2-10 million in endorsments. So you see, he comes out on top in both ways: He's a real nice guy, and gave Tina the million practically, plus he'll make a Hell of a lot more than her anyway.

Congrats Colby! :)

Tina is already rich. She doesn't need the money.

I was rooting for Colby to win. The contestants they have on should try to win the million not settle for second place.
Colby deserved to win it. He won most of the physical and mental challenges. Tina won one reward challenge.

I also don't like the fact that Elisabeth and Tina discussed what they would do with the money and talked about setting up a fund for charity. the at tribal council Tina used this to get Elisabeth's (and probably others) vote.

[Edited by Struz on 05-04-01 at 07:48 AM]

Alyoshka 05-04-01 09:43 AM

Poor poor Colby. What was all this about Keith didn't deserve to make the final two? All up until that point it had been "I'm doing this to win." All of a sudden he changed his philosophy and began caring. That ruined him.

das Monkey 05-04-01 09:50 AM

If you've ever spent a significant period of time in isolation with a small group of people, you understand exactly where Colby is coming from. I've been through some interesting situations but nothing to the extreme of what they went through. The emotional bonds (even with people you don't like) become so strong that it's not comparable with anything else.

Colby's a fighter. He's not a *****. Beating Keith would be pointless. Sure, he'd have more money, but after all they went through, it's very easy to accept that money was not the most important thing on his mind. If he goes against Tina, he wins either way. If he beats her, he's beaten his toughest competition. If he loses, he can feel good about what he's done and still walk away with a buttload of money, a car, and fame.

To me this is a similar situation as when a sports star declines an insane amount of money to stay in a city and with a team he enjoys playing with. Colby's already gotten the greatest benefits from his experience on Survivor. The money, while a huge bonus, wasn't as important as standing in the final two with his close-as-family friend Tina.

Maybe not the decision some other people would take (I doubt I'd do it), but it still makes sense to me.

das

Pikul 05-04-01 10:21 AM

Colby still walked away with 100k and that ugly vehicle. Plus, he'll reap the rewards of endorsements and paid appearances. I'm sure that will somehow cancel out the 900k he lost to Tina.

adamblast 05-04-01 10:29 AM

I gotta agree with the thread title. Colby understood the nature of the game when he voted off Elizabeth and Roger. To give away his own best shot at winning was ridiculous.

Sure, it would've been tough to hand Keith the $100 grand rather than Tina. But that's exactly the duty Colby owed himself, his family, and all the other good players who had dropped by the wayside.

He simply fumbled the ball during the endgame. Or rather, dropped it on purpose, like an idiot.

Patman 05-04-01 10:35 AM

How rich is Tina? Does anyone know her financial "health"?

I still can't believe the gall she had to discuss with Rodger on who between him and Elisabeth could use the money more due to her feeling that she had the votes in the bag to boot off either him or Elisabeth. I despise Tina for stuff like this. But she was always good about digging up dirt on people by being friendly to them, and them using the info to her advantage.

I believe also Tina uncovered that Jeff from Kucha had received a vote against him when she was talking with Kimmie early on, so when the tribes merge, and were still voting along tribal lines, Jeff was the first Kucha to go because Ogakor knew that in a tie-break between Jeff and Colby, Jeff would lose.

suziq999 05-04-01 11:11 AM

I think Colby did something bold and told America
that friendship is more important than money. He and
everyone else on the planet knows he would have won
the million if he had picked Keith instead of Tina,
but then Colby would have not stuck to his ideals
of "deserving". Colby showed everybody he's not a
money hungry ass, he's a person who is playing a game,
and he considers he and Tina making it to the end
a win. I approve. Colby really was the winner, and
Tina knows it.

Seagraves 05-04-01 11:16 AM

Suziq999 - Amen.

Patman 05-04-01 11:32 AM

Well, Tina has promised Colby to buy him the Harley Davidson motorcycle (from the early morning show today).

Plastic 05-04-01 11:51 AM

Tina's promised too much crap to too many people. I liked Colby's #1 Survivor Pick-up line on Dave last night: Ever done it in a Pontiac Aztek?

Struz 05-04-01 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Patman
How rich is Tina? Does anyone know her financial "health"?

Patman,

Supposedly she was adopted by one of the richest families in TN (p.s. not the Gores ;))

My point is the whole idea of the game is to win the million, not make friends. Colby played harder than anyone else did. He voted off Rodger and Elisabeth because he knew either one of them would beat him in the final 2. He gave Tina the million dollars.

I wonder what Colby would have done if had a wife and kids ?
I think he would have voted Tina off and kept Keith.
You look at life diffrentely when you are single than when you are married with kids.

Patman 05-04-01 01:25 PM

Well, going into the game, I wouldn't care who "needed" the money the most, seems that you sign up knowing that there's a $1million prize, and you go for it. In that respect, I am disappointed in Colby's decision making process, but I still think he'll more than make up for it in the long run, with endorsements for BudLight, sporting gear, etc.

Most everyone had to be a little devious or get booted early. That's part of the game. But towards the end, you have to stay focused, and yes, making friends is just not on the priority list for this particular game if you want to get the big prize.

If Tina was adopted by the rich family, did she spurn their lifestyle/support?

Oh well, life goes on...

junkie 05-04-01 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Seagraves
You guys are always attacking Colby. I for one love the guy. He's physically dominant, and above all else, he's a NICE guy.
He slept with his best friends girl, and he was found passed out in his own vomit.
He is a damn nice guy.

Ian11 05-04-01 02:18 PM

Colby's the Man

I'll concede that Colby voting Keith out was a bone headed move. Maybe he did it trying to prove he was the top survivor against his toughest challenger even when he could have easily voted her off. Call it vanity or "doing the honorable thing" but in the end Colby is going to come out ahead.

The guy did a great job in presenting himself as a likeable All American guy and that's exactly the type endorsers are looking for.
Colby probably already had those endorements lined up before yesterday's taping. No wonder he was smiling like a goofball despite losing $900,000.

Fun show

Scheherazade 05-04-01 03:11 PM

He didn't think Keith deserved to win, plain and simple. Not all people are greedy enough to compromise their morals for money. So sue the guy for having scrupels. Sheesh, what is the world coming to when people hate someone for being decent and doing the right thing?

Sure it was stupid if he was just going for the million, but if he was going for a clear conscience then he made the right move. It made me respect him more as well as several others on the voting committee who went so far as to say so.

And I don't think he could have been happier had he won than he was when Tina did, especially if he did it over Keith. It wasn't a show he put on, you could tell he was genuinely happy about the outcome.

~Scheherazade

Venetian 05-04-01 06:44 PM

If Tina was so rich....(and I dont know where you heard this crap about her being adopted by some rich family)...don't you think she would have already paid off her house?

And using that logic, wouldn't you say Colby's family probably ain't doing too bad either since his Dad owns a building!??!

Colby is smarter than all of 'em. He realized that a $1000000 isn't all that much compared to how the American public perceives you and your 'Q' rating.

He'll be a movie star long before Jeri is or at least a well-known personality ala 'Dr. Sean'. Those baby blues will go along way in Hollywood even if he did have a strange kind of musculature in his upper back and neck...

I agree the only reason he picked Tina is because he didn't want Keith to even get a hundred thousand if he could help it...at least poor Keith had the balls to face Colby down and wasn't ashamed to tell him he hurt him for being such a dick to him.