DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Favorite Wrestling Moment(s) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/105597-favorite-wrestling-moment-s.html)

dancinns 05-03-01 02:40 AM

Mine has to be The Perfect Setup or whatever the WWF referred to it as. Remember way back when Mr. Perfect was "managing" Marc Mero and he won the title or had the title on RAW. Hunter Hearst Helmsley beat him after Perfect turned on Mero and helped HHH. It was a perfect setup. HHH had been losing for weeks, Perfect was stealing his valets each week...they hated each other but it was all a rouse. Gotta love it.

das Monkey 05-03-01 07:02 AM

Favorite WWF Moment: Hogan body slamming Andre. Sure it's an overplayed clip, but at the time, nothing was bigger.

Favorite WCW (might have been NWA at the time) Moment: TIE

(1) Starcade '84? Two tournaments for the World Title and the World Tag Title. 4 contestants in each. Everyone wresltes everyone. Simply incredible. Sting, Flair, Road Warriors ... they were all there.

(2) Starcade '86 - Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. Midnight Express - Scaffolding Match

das

Charlie Goose 05-03-01 10:42 AM

Kerry Von Erich winning the NWA title from Ric Flair in May of 1984 in front of 40,000 screaming fans in Texas Stadium. Even just watching it on video, the eruption at the 1-2-3 was deafening. People were actually weeping with joy.

Timber 05-03-01 10:50 AM

(1) Starcade '84? Two tournaments for the World Title and the World Tag Title. 4 contestants in each. Everyone wresltes everyone. Simply incredible. Sting, Flair, Road Warriors ... they were all there.

You are refering to Starcade '89 Future Shock. It wasn't for the titles it was just for bragging rights (IIRC). I always thought this was one of the worst Starcade's of all time(when I say all time I mean the time between '83 and '90) because it didn't mean anything.

RaptorsFan 05-03-01 11:06 AM

When Macho Man destroyed Ricky Steamboat with the ring bell. That was when I thought it was all real.

Then I would have to say the Million Dollar Man having the ref do plastic surgery and the real ref came out. I think it was Andre vs Hogan on NBC.

Oh yeah and the Pipers Pit when it was halloween on Saturday Night Main Event and he had the bowling balls with sticks wrapped up like candy apples.

das Monkey 05-03-01 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Timber

You are refering to Starcade '89 Future Shock. It wasn't for the titles it was just for bragging rights (IIRC). I always thought this was one of the worst Starcade's of all time(when I say all time I mean the time between '83 and '90) because it didn't mean anything.

A little research shows that I'm just stupid and can't remember the 80s as well as I used to. There's another tournament with the big dogs (earlier than '89) for both titles, but it must not be a Starrcade. Watching some of the crap churned out in recent years seems to have clouded my brain.

das

[Edited by das Monkey on 05-03-01 at 09:29 AM]

POWERBOMB 05-03-01 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Zoomer
Kerry Von Erich winning the NWA title from Ric Flair in May of 1984 in front of 40,000 screaming fans in Texas Stadium. Even just watching it on video, the eruption at the 1-2-3 was deafening. People were actually weeping with joy.
I was there for that event. The entire show was captivating. Seeing Fritz come out in a six-man tag w/his sons against the Freebirds was awesome. Plus the whole day was about David, who had died a short time earlier. Great show, full of emotion.

Plastic 05-04-01 12:05 PM

Any old NWA during the Nikita Koloff / Magnum TA fued or when Koloff had his neckbrace on.

When Buff Bagwell worked the wheelchair angle, then got up and beat someone down with his crutches. No one saw that coming. He was supposed to be hurt for real and the crowd was really being supportive of his trying to just stand up. One of the last good Bischoff-era moments.

Clash of the Champions I. A quote from Gordon Solie after someone was clearly shown putting their hand to their forehead while being "smashed" into the ringpost:

"Oohhhh... got his head slammed into the ringpost. He tried to get his hand up there to block it, I think."