DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Simpsons -vs- Run Lola Run (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/104624-simpsons-vs-run-lola-run.html)

mdev 04-29-01 07:23 PM

Does anyone else think that it is absolutely amazing that a show as popular as the Simpsons would spoof a foreign film that barely anyone in the US (excluding us DVD Talkers) have ever heard of?

THIS IS SO COOL!!

They even used the same music when Lisa's running.

LuCiFeR 04-29-01 07:33 PM

yep i noticed that, anyone else think it was one of the best simpsons ever!! lota laugh out loud moments.

Jamezuva 04-29-01 07:34 PM

I think this was the best Simpsons in awhile. Very funny stuff

movielib 04-29-01 08:03 PM

Did anyone see the episode of Early Edition last season that did a Run Gary Run show where Gary had three chances to save Marissa? It was actually pretty good.

huzefa 04-29-01 08:04 PM

As I watched, I wondered aloud, "What has the world come to? Simpsons spoofing interesting movies, Lara Flynn Boyle eating a cheeseburger, Bush threatening to 'clean up' the white house...." I say we all move to a normal world like Canada, where we can put mayonnaise on everything!!! It's just too bad about the robot though, he had a guest shot for the Sopranos all wrapped up before his head got blown off....

Bobubott 04-29-01 08:13 PM

While this wasn't the funniest episode ever, it was definitely the most clever one I've seen in a long time. I loved it. I loved the Run Lola Run spoof, and the line "Sorry doesn't put thumbs on the hand, Marge" just cracks me up every time.

pagemaster7 04-29-01 08:16 PM

I really enjoyed it, I thought it was well written and one of the best episodes for a while.

TheSimpsons 04-29-01 08:48 PM

Bart: "Hootie and the BlowFish Tape...???"

Cheif Wiggum: "It's cheaper than a blank."

By god, that had me rolling on the floor :). It was a pretty good episode going by their past few episodes.

Darren Garrison 04-29-01 11:07 PM

Originally posted by huzefa
As I watched, I wondered aloud, "What has the world come to? Simpsons spoofing interesting movies
The Simpsons has a long history of spoofing obscure books and movies, especially in the Halloween episodes.

Junaid 04-29-01 11:27 PM

Originally posted by mdev
Does anyone else think that it is absolutely amazing that a show as popular as the Simpsons would spoof a foreign film that barely anyone in the US (excluding us DVD Talkers) have ever heard of?
Actually, The Simpsons has a history of spoofing VERY obscure films (as well as the more famous ones). It's just that most people don't notice them. And most of the episode names are references to films, including obscure foreign/British movies. so if you've ever wondered where some of the wierd episode titles come from - now you know. :)

bothanspy 04-30-01 12:28 AM

For awhile I was thinking it was spoofing some Japanimation, it never occurred to me until the 2nd or 3rd run that it was Run Lola Run. It was hilarious.

BothanSpy

Groucho 04-30-01 12:37 AM

Of course, not forget that the entire episode was also spoofing Go, which not a lot of people have seen either.

Chad 04-30-01 12:49 AM

I thought tonights episode was funny as hell but my cable went out during the last minute of the show, did Homer ever get his thumb sewn back on and by who?

Trilogy of Error gets two :thumbsup::thumbsup:!

Groucho 04-30-01 01:10 AM

Spoiler:
The gangsters cut a deal with the cops: in exchange for release, one of them (a mob doctor) sews Homer's thumb back on. This is done in front of Lisa's class as her science project, and she wins first place. At the very end the monkey warns us: "This plot makes no sense! Warn the people!"

cineman 04-30-01 05:02 AM

This is what makes The Simpsons the best comedy on television, period. The episodes that are this good, are memorable for a long, long time. Even when they have an off night, they are better than any other show on the air!!!

goatboy 04-30-01 05:09 AM

What a great surprise for a Sunday night. I laughed all the way through that episode. The whole "Go", "Run Lola Run" setup was just hilarious. Working in television, my favorite line was Krusty's
"don't hit the girl, she's in our demographic"
:D

fourwalker 04-30-01 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Darren Garrison

Originally posted by huzefa
As I watched, I wondered aloud, "What has the world come to? Simpsons spoofing interesting movies
The Simpsons has a long history of spoofing obscure books and movies, especially in the Halloween episodes.

Thats certainly true. I remember the funniest obscure reference was this one where bart was sitting around bitching about stuff and says "tolerance.... whats all this tolerance crap I keep hearing about" or something like that, and then Homer responds with "Hmm... I find your ideas intriguing, I think I will subscribe to your newsletter." [note: this isn't verbatim]. Whats weird about that, was that it was a reference to an insert Ayn Rand (best known for "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged") has in her books. That was so obscure and probably less than one percent of the audience got, but they threw it in there anyway... pretty dammn cool

garmonbozia 04-30-01 08:11 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Of course, not forget that the entire episode was also spoofing Go, which not a lot of people have seen either.
I don't see the Go connection other than three different POV stories. That's not necessarily Go specific. Please enlighten me.

Venusian 04-30-01 09:30 AM

Originally posted by garmonbozia
I don't see the Go connection other than three different POV stories. That's not necessarily Go specific. Please enlighten me. [/B]
I've never seen run lola run so the first thing i thought of when i saw the show was Go. It's basically the same day from the pov of four different people. The plot doesn't mirror go's.

renaldow 04-30-01 11:07 AM

That has to be one of the top 10 episodes IMHO. That cracked me up! I'm glad other people caught the RLR too.

I wouldn't say it was a take off on Go in particular, quite a few movies have that exact same format of individual stories interconnecting with eachother and showing 'everyone's day.' I think it was just an interesting twist to the storyline.

Groucho 04-30-01 11:35 AM

Originally posted by garmonbozia
I don't see the Go connection other than three different POV stories. That's not necessarily Go specific. Please enlighten me.
Of course, there's the obvious: parallel stories that are titled around each protagonist's name. There are also several plot similiarities including:
  • Stolen sports car
  • Characters (almost) getting hit by a car
  • Characters blackmailed by the cops into wearing a wire
  • An accidental fire
  • A big chase culminating in all parties reaching a compromise
  • An animal who talks via subtitles

Slumbering Fist 04-30-01 11:45 AM

It was okay. Nice to see a decent episode after the recent onslaught of bad ones.

huzefa 04-30-01 11:48 AM

Maybe next week, the Simpsons should do a Terminator 2 spinoff. Think how cool it would be to see Bart in the future fighting some intergalactic war and Homer comes back in time to Marge and save Bart.... Homer would come into the bar naked and say, "I need your clothes, your motorcycle and a pitcher of beer. Make that TWO pitchers of beer."

RevLiver 04-30-01 12:28 PM

Easily the best episode in awhile. For the Go and Run Lola Run spoofs and especially for Linguo the Grammar Robot overloading and shorting out when the mob guys talk. And you can tell from my quote that I loved the line.

Scott27 04-30-01 03:04 PM

Originally posted by RevLiver
Linguo the Grammar Robot overloading and shorting out when the mob guys talk.
"Bad grammar overload."

:lol: rotfl :lol: