DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Boston Public = Fox's Evening Soap Opera (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/104431-boston-public-%3D-foxs-evening-soap-opera.html)

TechiChick 04-28-01 09:21 PM

I'm sorry, but I am seriously getting annoyed with this show. I REALLY like the characters, but this OVER dramatic show is really getting on my nerves.

It's like one big huge tragedy after another. It doesn't seem like they know how to write a normal happy episode, just extremely-depressing-stay-away-from-sharp-knives kind of show.

Does anyone agree????

I really liked the show and I know there are some situations that deal with the terrible reality going on in today's schools. But I also think they do an overkill on the drama. I mean, I don't think things like these happen EVERY SINGLE DAY at an average high school.

Anyhow..that's my thoughts on the show. What's yours?

BoatDrinks 04-28-01 09:30 PM

I'm sorry, but I am seriously getting annoyed with this show. I REALLY like the characters, but this OVER dramatic show is really getting on my nerves.

It's like one big huge tragedy after another. It doesn't seem like they know how to write a normal happy episode, just extremely-depressing-stay-away-from-sharp-knives kind of show.

Does anyone agree????

Agreed.

[Edited by BoatDrinks on 04-28-01 at 07:45 PM]

badger1997 04-28-01 09:42 PM

Well, the only problem with your statement is that if they based the show just on what goes on in a high school "every single day", even less people than are watching now would tune in.

I cover schools for my newspaper and let me tell you, as fulfilling as I know it is for the teachers and other people in the schools to work with kids, it's not the sort of thing that will bring in ratings. How many people would watch about a kid who studies during open period? Or the kids who sneak out to have a smoke? The staff meeting where teachers try to figure out how to get more money to buy textbooks? Or the detention some kid got for being late to class too many times?

The thing is, the show needs to be dramatized more than real life simply because if it wasn't, some people interested in education issues and schools would tune in, but most other people would tune out. The same as with any television show set in a real-world job.

freedexter 04-28-01 10:02 PM

I'm just not liking Guber. I do kinda wonder how it's really possible, I'm sure a school with such events would be closed in reality. But it does emphaize the message that teachers care are abouts students, their job is hard and very demanding, and they are humans too, and make mistakes. Soap Operas don't tend to glorify professions, other than strippers, doctors, lawyers, and those evil vixens. :D

pagemaster7 04-28-01 10:45 PM

I have to agree, with ever episode Boston Public is getting to be a lesson in the overdramatic. Don't get me wrong, I love a exciting story line, but not at the expense of making every character shallow and a steriotype.

TechiChick 04-28-01 11:23 PM

Originally posted by badger1997
Well, the only problem with your statement is that if they based the show just on what goes on in a high school "every single day", even less people than are watching now would tune in.

I totally agree. I dunno. I guess I just feel like they are trying too hard to shock us all the darn time on this television show that it gets boring in that respect. I would almost love to see them take a show pretty easy once. Something kind of nice and boring dull. It would make me respect them more in the morning. hehehe.
I think that they better slow on the brakes or this show will be canceled because they will run out of depressing shocking things to put in the script or their audience will have already done themselves in.
I'm not the type of person who believes life is all peachy all the time, but I also don't think life is all bad either.

What's next for Boston Public.... an atomic bomb is made in the science lab and blows up Massachusettes?!?!
Geesh... SLOW DOWN!!!

Deftones 04-29-01 12:35 PM

Originally posted by badger1997

Exactly!!!! Every tv show that focuses on real professions has to exaggerate in order to make the stories interesting. I mean, realistically, no school would have 1/2 the problems of Boston Public and still expect to be open. I like all the different problems that they have, because it keeps it fresh.

huzefa 04-29-01 02:30 PM

Next week on Boston Public: Two female teachers get caught undressing each other in the boys locker room, by none other than the sexy janitor who incidentally enough is shtupping the head of the cheerleading squad behind the bleachers. Let's not forget the kid who goes blind from the glare coming off the principals big bald head. Guess he should have stayed home that day....... my, my, what Hollywood will do for ratings.

badger1997 04-29-01 02:36 PM

Originally posted by huzefa
Next week on Boston Public: Two female teachers get caught undressing each other in the boys locker room, by none other than the sexy janitor who incidentally enough is shtupping the head of the cheerleading squad behind the bleachers. Let's not forget the kid who goes blind from the glare coming off the principals big bald head. Guess he should have stayed home that day....... my, my, what Hollywood will do for ratings.
Damn, I would respond to that, but I gotta run and go program my VCR so I don't miss that episode this week. Mmmmmmmm..cheerleaders. :)

TechiChick 04-29-01 06:17 PM

Originally posted by huzefa

ROTFLMAO!!

GET REAL BOSTON PUBLIC!!!!

Groucho 04-30-01 12:39 AM

Let's face it, every show has to exaggerate...otherwise nobody would watch. In a real E.R. there isn't an explosion once a week...but in the t.v. show explosions are routine.

Pikul 04-30-01 08:59 AM

See the recent thread on American High -- that show is a true depiction of students and it lasted two weeks on Fox. It's now on PBS. So if you want less drama, check that one out.

Although I really enjoy Boston Public, I wish someone would come up with a mix between that and Head of the Class. Or they could have a Head of the Class and Boston Public crossover. Mr. Moore transfers to Boston Public and kicks Guber's hiney. Jahwarhalal visits and gives Lipshultz a lesson on multi-culturalism. Dennis Blunden becomes a science teacher and has an affair with Christine Banks...