DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Any DRAGONBALL Z Fans here ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/103859-any-dragonball-z-fans-here.html)

Original Desmond 04-26-01 07:02 PM

can someone pls give me a quick rundown on the story ?

cheerrs

mljones99 04-26-01 07:42 PM

i don't see what anyone sees in anime

tofu 04-26-01 08:16 PM

this is probably as good as a summary that you will find: (from http://www.dbzcenter.com)

Dragon Ball all began in Japan 1984. Toriyama Akira started a show called Dragon Ball. It started out with a small kid with a monkey tail. That boy's name was Goku and was more powerful than others. He was hunting for food one day and came across a teenage girl named Bulma. She was searching for Dragon Balls so she could wish for a great boyfriend. Goku worked things out with Bulma and they were off to finish collecting all of the Dragon Balls. As they went on their search they come past friends, enemies, and funny scenes. Some of the more famous Dragon Ball enemies were Taopaipai, the Red Ribbon Gundan, and Piccolo Daimao. As time passed he came across many people, who some of them later became friends with him. The most famous person Goku came across with were Yamcha and Krillin. Daimao was the last enemy in Dragon Ball and ended for a couple of years. Dragon Ball Z was just Dragon Ball but with an older Goku and he had a son named Gohan. The first enemy was Raditz, and the next were Nappa and Vegita. Goku had died because of Raditz but went to a person higher than gods, King Kai. He trained with him learning new techniques. By using the Dragon Balls, Goku came back to earth and fought Nappa and Vegita. At the end of the fight Vegita barely went into his spaceship and escaped to a planet called Planet Namek. Gohan, Krillin, and Bulma found a spaceship somewhere on earth and went to Planet Namek. Goku later went in a Capsule Corp. Ship. Vegita had to fight hard to achieve the Dragon Balls in that planet which were 10 times the size as the earth one as were able to grant three wishes. There, Freeza called the Ginyu Force which came to defeat Vegita and to retrieve the Dragon Balls. No one could defeat him, but at that time Goku just came to the planet and wasted them except for the leader of the group (Captain Ginyu). Goku was way to powerful for him but he had a trick called "Change" where he could swap bodies with him. Later they changed back. The last enemy there was Freeza, he had three transformations and was defeated sometimes by Piccolo and Gohan, but the last Transformation was impossible to defeat. That was until Goku showed up, Freeza was more powerful but Goku took quite a big chunk out of him, at the near end, Goku had hit him was a huge spirit bomb which hurt him a lot, but did not fully kill him. As soon as he showed up he was so mad he immediately killed Krillin, and hurt Piccolo. That made Goku so mad, he became a Super Saiyan. After that Freeza was killed. But everyone escaped the planet except for Goku, and the planet was about to blow up. At the end everyone thought he had died. A while later (now on earth) a large ship came with a repaired Freeza (made up with mostly metal 'n junk) and his dad (King Cold), and their mission was to blow up Earth. As soon as they came, someone with Purple hair and wasted both of them. His name was Trunks and he was from over 20 years from the present time. Shortly after Freeza was killed, Goku came from a space shuttle sent by aliens he met by. Trunks warned them about two extremely powerful creations called Androids. After Trunks told Goku about the Androids, he gave Goku a antidote that will help cure the heart disease Goku will have in the future so that Goku could help fight the Androids. A few years later, the time came when the Androids would come. But the two weren't the ones they expected, but one of them flew back to a cave and brought out the powerful Androids. They immediately killed one of them. There were a total of three, including Android #16, who was the most powerful, but the most peaceful. The Z team also found out there was something called Cell, which was not a Android, but a living organism. They killed the baby cell, but later they found a Capsule Corp. time traveler. Cell had come from the future to consume Androids #18 and #19 to become the most powerful. Near the end, Cell had consumed Androids #18 and #17 becoming Perfect Cell. He was so powerful no one could defeat him. The strongest Z team members went into a special room where time went extra fast, so they became more powerful and fast. But still could not defeat Cell. When Android #6 was killed by Cell, Gohan became so mad he became Super Saiyan Level 2 and Cell got killed by committing suicide by bowing himself up. But right before he did, Goku transported both of them to somewhere else so no one would get killed. He came to Kaisama's (or King Kai) place and blew everyone, and everyone was killed there, but earth was safe. But soon Cell came back to life by going to someplace in the universe and came back as powerful as Gohan. They did a kamehameha against each other and since Gohan was helped by Goku's spirit, Cell got killed. After that the story skips many years to where Gohan was 16 and there was small Trunk and Goten (Gohan’s new little brother). Both small Trunks and Goten had the ability (even thought they were like 5 years old) to become super Saiyans. They trained to go to a tournament. When the time came, with magical powers Goku was brought to earth.

Original Desmond 04-26-01 09:18 PM

wikid thanx tofubomb :)

there are some Dragonball Z dvds which are apparently uncut. I saw them for rent in my video store

i might check em out

i'm been watching a little bit of the tv show

Slumbering Fist 04-27-01 01:26 PM

The Cartoon Network has been my saving grace. i had always enjoyed the few Dragonballs i had come acroos in the past, but had neither the time or money to track down Japanese bootlegs of the show or buy the videos released. Purists be damned, Cartoon Network has helped a lot of people gain access to the show, edited or not, and i cant wait for the next run of shows to come out (presumably all the ones that finish the "Z" series)

Kudama 04-27-01 04:43 PM

Originally posted by mljones99
i don't see what anyone sees in anime
Whaaat!?! You don't like a lot of poorly drawn static imagery that sits on the screen for 3 minutes while lines move behind it? And every time I flip by it the characters are still doing pretty much the same thing and saying the same lines. What do you have against a show being consistent? I swear, some people just want to bring us all down!

*edit* whoa. I misread your post mljones99. I thought you said "i don't see what anyone sees in [this] anime". To answer that one: What I see in (good) anime is a magical wonderland, where stories are told with characters and settings that would be cost prohibitive in live action. Technopheliacs, like myself, enjoy the incredibly visionary mechanical designs that pop up in the top of the line work. Plus some of the humor is completely off the wall and that appeals to some (me included). OK, it's hard to explain briefly and who really cares anyway?
Sorry to the pontificate in your Dragonball thread, guys. I really only intended to gripe about the show.

[Edited by Kudama on 04-27-01 at 03:30 PM]

mllefoo 04-27-01 06:27 PM

The only thing I've figured out from DragonballZ is the fact that EVERYONE is really pissed off ALL the time, so they are constantly fighting with each other. They also hang motionless in the air talking to themselves while their "enemy" hangs in the air looking angry.

Apart from that, I don't get it.

Marianne

tofu 04-27-01 07:07 PM

well, wouldn't you be pissed all the time if you couldn't do anything with you hair except for a wild crazy fro?

William Wallace 07-07-02 03:42 PM

DB and DBZ aren't typical anime, and thats why I love it.

It's epic, taking place over a span of 30+ years, and action packed unlike other anime. Most people who don't like the show never really gave it a chance. They just watch 2 or 3 episodes and quit. I started out watching the show thinking it was one of the stupidest shows around. Eventually I grew into it and now its my favorite TV show.

spainlinx0 07-07-02 05:33 PM

I really get bored watching the episodes on tv, but I like the uncensored Japanese movies. I especially liked the one where Goku and Vegita form as one. I forgot what it's called. The action is quicker paced and there aren't entire episodes devoted to "charging up."

DrThunder 07-08-02 01:33 PM

There is still even more to the Dragonball universe than what Tofubomb summarized. After Cell, the rest of the series deals with the beginnings (and end) of this Buu character that beats up everyone. After the DragonballZ series, there is yet another Dragonball series, Dragonball GT (grand tour) which I believe was created to plug a video game! Goku and his supporting cast have more crazy adventures and beat up more bad guys. However, this series is a bit ridiculous in the sense that Goku and Vegita are powered up to the point where they could destroy the Universe many times over. Still alot of fun to watch though, hope this helps.