DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Do you want to see MORE or LESS CLEAN Finishes in Wrestling ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/103486-do-you-want-see-more-less-clean-finishes-wrestling.html)

Original Desmond 04-25-01 03:06 PM

What are the Pros and Cons of totally Clean finishes in wrestling ?

Spicollidriver1 04-25-01 04:41 PM

I want to see less ppv's I think to many is hurting the quality of the shows because they are becoming rushed which then causes less clean finishes so you can develop feuds faster. How often is it a week before the ppv, and the whole card for it isn't even clear yet. More clean finishes is better, and I am hoping there is gonna be more of that in wcw if they push the younger guys, and with the roster they have, and are going for it seems it's gonna be more wrestling, and a little less story due to the lack of mic skills of some of the younger guys.

RaptorsFan 04-25-01 08:04 PM

I guess it depends on the match and what's going on around it.

Like Benoit vs Angle I would not to see a run in. But anytime a new wrestler comes is introduced I love run in's.

I guess there's a good balance.

Jackskeleton 04-25-01 09:57 PM

I'm getting tired of the 4 on 4 or tag match as the main events for weeks before the P.P.V. i would much rather have a One on one match up and yes, more clean finishes.

Kumar J 04-26-01 12:27 AM

Clean finishes should be more, all the run in's is the reason why I hated WCW in the first place.

dave955 04-26-01 12:51 AM

Many more finishes should be clean. There seem to be four basic ways to keep one wrestler from being shown to be clearly inferior to another, and keep a feud going:

(1) end their match with a run-in that results in a DQ or one wrestler losing due to cheating
(2) end their match with the heel cheating to win (eg feet on ropes, or cheating when the ref is knocked down) or a fluke pin (like when Jeff Hardy pinned Benoit a couple of months ago, out of nowhere)
(3) have one wrestler lose but then spring up and beat the hell out of the other
(4) combine multiple feuds into a big tag match, and have the finish be done in such a way that it is indeterminate, such as on Monday night Regal losing to Benoit instead of Jericho, whom Regal is feuding with.

I think this leads to a very stale and unexciting product. I would much rather have more clean finishes where the wrestlers trade wins and losses back and forth, with the PPV match having some kind of importance, such as a #1 contender's slot, or the title itself. Is it realistic to think that the WWF champion wins for 3-4 months in a row, but then loses to the new champion 3-4 months in a row. No - I'd much rather have them trade wins and losses. If the title has to be kept on one person, don't have that many title matches outside of PPV. Nevertheless I don't see the harm of having, say, the Rock losing the title to Austin before Wrestlemania, then having him win it back the Smackdown before, and having the "deciding" match be the Wrestlemania showdown.

What's most alarming to me, however, isn't the number of run-ins and dirty finishes the WWF is relying on. It's the fact that the length of the average TV match is WAY down. I remember last year after Wrestlemania when Scotty 2 Hotty and Dean Malenko had a series of great light heavyweight title matches. Or when Rock and Mankind were wrestling the Dudleys and the match was so long Raw went to commercial in the middle of it. These matches weren't 3 minutes, and they had some real wrestling. (And it's not like I'm saying a match has to have great workrate to be good, Rock and Mankind and the Dudleys are good workers, but not in the class of Angle, Benoit, Regal, Malenko, Jericho, the Hardys, E&C, etc.) Today, a match seems to consist of a few punches traded, then some kicks, then maybe a closeline or a slam, and we head straight to a finisher. Regal tapping out in 2 minutes to Benoit on Monday night was a freakin' joke.

I have no idea if this is to fit in more interviews or soap opera elements, or if it is a consequence of the much greater number of "MOMENTS AGO" replays the WWF is using, but I am sick of it, and I think the ratings decline reflects other people feeling the same way.

darkside 04-26-01 02:31 AM

Run ins and screw job finishes are what destroyed the WCW. None of those ego maniacs ever wanted to lose a match. Run ins should only be used to set up a bigger clean finish down the road. The WWF has been pretty good at this through the years.

edytwinky 04-26-01 02:40 AM

I guess non-clean finishes are something you're going to have to expect on monday and thursday nights. The only time I want to see and expect clean finishes are on PPV's. That's where storylines should end especially at the Big Five PPV's.

Original Desmond 04-26-01 07:10 AM

Originally posted by edytwinky
I guess non-clean finishes are something you're going to have to expect on monday and thursday nights. The only time I want to see and expect clean finishes are on PPV's. That's where storylines should end especially at the Big Five PPV's.
hey mate, what are considered the big five PPV ?

i'd guess 3 of them would be

Wrestlemania
Summerslam
Royal Rumble

Spicollidriver1 04-26-01 10:44 AM

King of the Ring, and Survivor Series

p.s i miss the old Survivor Series

dave955 04-26-01 12:13 PM

Originally posted by edytwinky
You like the free TV shows predictably pointless, then?

I understand the need to make PPVs special, so people order them, but it seems to me that there has to be a better way than to deliver a deliberately inferior free TV product.

I haven't looked at the WWF financials lately, but my recollection is about as many people buy a PPV from them in a year as watch free TV in a week (or maybe it's just Raw, I don't remember). That is not a negligible advertising revenue stream. (I think the last figure I saw was ~5 million PPV buys in a year, for the WWF, with Wrestlemania being 1-1.5 of those...but this is all from hazy memory.)

JoeC 04-26-01 12:23 PM

I am tired of seeing screwjob finishes and runins. I mean some is okay, but enough is enough. Frankly, weren't you all shocked beyond belief that the Wrestlemania match between the Taker and HHH didn't have a run-in? Of course, I wasn't surprised to hear that it was originally supposed to have HBK run-in and help UT win. But when (besides WM) has there been a really clean HHH loss? He's trying to keep his spot too hard...time for him to go down a peg for a lil while and give someone else a chance.

And when are they going to put more people over and keep them there. They give someone a push (Test, Matt and Jeff Hardy, Rikishi) and then pull them back. C'mon, let's see a real push for the top. WWF can make it happen, it's just a matter of if they want to make new stars.

JoeC...can I get a witness?

Spicollidriver1 04-26-01 12:58 PM

Problem with HHH though is that he is really close with Vince I have read at a few sites that he has had say in angles so unless he believes he needs a break he won't take one.