Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What your Favorite Price Is Right game (Past or Present)?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What your Favorite Price Is Right game (Past or Present)?

Old 04-20-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjim25
Any Number 1972 -
This was the first pricing game ever played. Three prizes: a car, a three-digit prize, and a piggy bank (three digits denoting dollars and cents) - each digit 0-9 appears once and only once (except for 5-digit cars, where the first digit is given free and is the only one that repeats). Player guesses digits until completing a price and winning that prize.
If I were playing for a car, this is the one I would want to try. Otherwise, give me Plinko because it's the only one that doesn't require any brains.
Old 04-20-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
If I were playing for a car, this is the one I would want to try. Otherwise, give me Plinko because it's the only one that doesn't require any brains.

It requires some thought. To earn Plinko chips (you get one free one), you have to guess on prices of products.
Old 04-20-05, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cliff Hanger without question. That yodeling was the best EVER!
Old 04-20-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Not my favorite game, but one that I love to watch is "Ten Chances"
Barker ALWAYS gets pissed at the contestants on this!

I miss "SuperBall". I'm sure the reason why they retired it was that the game took up a lot of time. "Golden Road" is another long one.
Old 04-20-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Not my favorite game, but one that I love to watch is "Ten Chances"
Barker ALWAYS gets pissed at the contestants on this!

I miss "SuperBall". I'm sure the reason why they retired it was that the game took up a lot of time. "Golden Road" is another long one.

10 Chances is a great game.

I like SuperBall as well.
Old 04-20-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it goes without saying that there are many games that are great fun to watch (otherwise it wouldn't be the most popular and enduring game show of all time!), but there is no question that the king of them all is, and always will be, PLINKO!
Old 04-20-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
It requires some thought. To earn Plinko chips (you get one free one), you have to guess on prices of products.
That's true, but in all the times I've seen Plinko, I don't think I've ever missed guessing the correct price on any of the products. They make that segment of the game a little easier to get to the meat, watching the hockey puck bounce off the pegs. Is there anything better than watching the puck get close to the $10,000 slot? Tenser than an episode of 24!
Old 04-20-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Is there anything better than watching the puck get close to the $10,000 slot?

Absolutely - even with TPiR. When the yodeller in Cliffhanger passes 20 on the mountain. Now that is what I call tense.
Old 04-20-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, I liked so many of these games (especially during my TPiR heyday in the 70's). My first thought on favorite was Cliffhanger. I also loved Plinko.

Gotta love the font on that 3 Strikes game....man the memories.

One complaint, would love more pics.
Old 04-20-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by iggystar
One complaint, would love more pics.

Go here.
http://gscentral.net/pricing1.htm
Old 04-20-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
You're the bomb. Thanks!
Old 04-20-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked Golden Road and the game where people get to putt a golf ball. I always liked the more interactive games where they had more props.

But my favoite game, because you really would have to be an idiot to lose at it (and, of course, people have...) is "Pick A Pair." I play at home whenever its on and I can always pick the pairs. It's usually no brainer stuff, unless they throw in a new product that is just off the wall that hardly anybody buys, but there are usually some common items up there that are easy to pick out.

I think "Cover Up" would see more winners if people didn't try to focus so damn much on getting the first two numbers right. More often than not the first two numbers are no brainers, so I would make the first number something like a 3 on purpose and make sure I knew what I was doing for the second number and then guess on the remaining three. Why? BECAUSE YOU GET MORE CHANCES TO WIN THAT WAY!!! Even if on your second round, you get just the first number right, you get to play again! See how that works out? I only saw one guy do that strategy and it paid off for him. Of course, he was an old ass senile man who didn't seem to know what the hell was going on, so I am not so sure he puposely picked an obviously wrong number for the first number to give him more chances, but he played it the way it should be played. If you struggle to get the first numbers, and you are left with the last number to pick on your second round, you cut your chances down to 20% of winning.

I do think a lot about how to win at those stupid games when this is the last game show on Earth I would want to be on.

Last edited by calhoun07; 04-20-05 at 03:35 PM.