DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   my Weakest Link theory (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/101126-my-weakest-link-theory.html)

stevevt 04-16-01 07:09 PM

NBC created this series exclusively for the purpose of providing an easy target for Saturday Night Live.

<small>oh, and Anne Robinson is a cyborg

Scott27 04-16-01 07:14 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
NBC created this series exclusively for the purpose of providing an easy target for Saturday Night Live.
Technically, NBC didn't create the show, it's yet another British import.

caiman 04-16-01 07:24 PM

I think I like this show. Any show that strives to humiliate a person on national TV has to have at least some watchability.

IdgIe49 04-16-01 07:24 PM

but are you watching the show? She's rude, yet amusing. I like it.

Orbi-Wan Techno 04-16-01 07:27 PM

Marcus...

There's no crying in game shows...!

Is the host smacking him or what?

And are these the most stupid people in America?

This program is a sado-masocist dream...

Scott27 04-16-01 07:58 PM

I enjoy the show myself.

stevevt 04-16-01 08:05 PM

Renee: "I was cheated out of a lot of money."

Um, uh, by your own brain. Moron.

Do they force the contestants to act like petulant children when they lose?

Jeraden 04-16-01 08:28 PM

I didn't much care for it. The host was annoying, everytime she said "weakest link", rushing through it real quickly I felt like strangling her.

The attitudes of people were stupid too... just made everything seem too childish... picking on people for missing questions in their post-banishment interviews, rude comments when voting, etc.

Aaron Amos 04-16-01 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Jeraden
I didn't much care for it. The host was annoying, everytime she said "weakest link", rushing through it real quickly I felt like strangling her.

The attitudes of people were stupid too... just made everything seem too childish... picking on people for missing questions in their post-banishment interviews, rude comments when voting, etc.

How long before the phase "You are the weakest link" gets old? Why can't our people come up with creative game shows instead of ripping off other parts of the world(in this case the UK!) I know that both "Who wants to be a Millionaire"(getting really old now) and "The Weakest Link" are rip-off from the United Kingdom!

I have not seen any of it yet as I'm om PST!! But I already dislike the show and it's host!The host is all over TV,She's been on "Inside Edition","ET", "Access Hollywood",&"Today" to name a few places I've seen her! I wonder how long before this show gets old and goes away?

Sessa17 04-16-01 08:50 PM

Caught about 20 minutes of it while procrastinating during finals for school. Like every game show ever created it is just idiotic, I never understood the appeal of watching other people win money. If this show is a big hit there is something seriously wrong w/ society. The show has a arrogant brit calling americans stupid b/c they don't know there T.V. trivia, contestants are considered dumb b/c they don't know the name of an actress on Frasier -rolleyes-. I know to each their own but how on earth is a show like this entertaining to people.

Aaron Amos 04-16-01 08:52 PM

Originally posted by scott27

Technically, NBC didn't create the show, it's yet another British import.

Why not say instead it's another show we ripped off from another country instead!?

dvdnaut 04-16-01 08:53 PM

I like how the guy gets a simple Lethal Weapon question, and the lady gets a question about what book Salmon Rushdie wrote.

JoeC 04-16-01 09:06 PM

I enjoyed the premiere except for the whiny babies they recruited to be on the first telecast. The British episode I saw in October didn't have as many whiners.

Spoiler:
I was hoping that the undertaker guy would win it at the end, I'm glad he did.

JoeC

[Edited by JoeC on 04-16-01 at 07:36 PM]

Aaron Amos 04-16-01 09:12 PM

Originally posted by JoeC
I enjoyed the premiere except for the whiny babies they recruited to be on the first telecast. The British episode I saw in October didn't have as many whiners.

I was hoping that the undertaker guy would win it at the end, I'm glad he did.

JoeC

Please post "Spoiler Tags" so the people on the board who live on PST can enjoy it too!Thanks for ruining it!

Bobubott 04-16-01 09:14 PM

Renee: "I was cheated out of a lot of money."

Um, uh, by your own brain. Moron.

Do they force the contestants to act like petulant children when they lose?

LOL. That's the funniest thing I've read in awhile.

Renee was totally dead weight. How many times did she stop to ask the host to repeat the question? She acted like British English was some bizarre language that she simply could not understand.

Those post-game interviews were lame. I felt like I was watching Jenny Jones with all the people "talkin' smack" about each other. The rest of the show was pretty interesting, though; it definitely picked up the pace and held my interest.

JoeC 04-16-01 09:40 PM

I apologize for perhaps spoiling the end of the show for some people, however, it is never good form to include the spoiler in your complaint about the spoiler because it means that the chance of spoiling it for other people increases...even if I correct my original post.

Not everyone is out to get you.

JoeC...not perfect by any means, but I will always correct my own mistakes...

Scott27 04-16-01 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Bobubott
Those post-game interviews were lame. I felt like I was watching Jenny Jones with all the people "talkin' smack" about each other.
That was my only complaint with the show, as well. Obviously the producers told the losing contestants to be rude and nasty in their comments. Either that or they're just sore losers.

Autotelik 04-16-01 10:25 PM

I swear this thread wasn't around... i looked and looked...

anyway...

the phrase: "theweakestlink" bugs me most... can she not say it any faster? :rolleyes:

Jeraden 04-16-01 10:38 PM

This show is theweakestlink of NBC's nightly lineup.

adamblast 04-16-01 10:40 PM

<small>oh, and Anne Robinson is a cyborg

</small>Well, I don't know if I buy your theory, but you're right: SNL's gonna have a field day with this silly show.

<small>(I'm kinda diggin' it, in a please-don't-tell-anyone sort of way...)</small>

RJainMJ 04-16-01 11:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by adamblast

SNL's gonna have a field day with this silly show.

Can you imagine SNL Celebrity The Weakest Link (like Jeopardy)? That would be great.

namja 04-16-01 11:30 PM

Originally posted by RJainMJ
Can you imagine SNL Celebrity The Weakest Link (like Jeopardy)? That would be great.
Or better yet, how about a real Celebrity The Weakest Link? That would be really embarassing for the celebrities that leave early ... -smile-

MonkeyG 04-16-01 11:55 PM

Originally posted by namja

Originally posted by RJainMJ
Or better yet, how about a real Celebrity The Weakest Link? That would be really embarassing for the celebrities that leave early ... -smile-

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Wednesday's edition, the contestants will all be from the cast of Survivor. I thought that's what the preview said.

Also, was anyone else bothered by the "da da dumm" sound everytime the clock started. Bugged the sh!t out of me.

Bust 04-17-01 12:37 AM

Did anyone else notice the idiots that kept saying "bank" when there was no money to bank?

I think 'Greed' was still the best of the new age game shows.

By the way, that old lady on 'Weakest Link' was NOT funny. She was having trouble reading the questions and the pacing she was reading them at made them fairly hard to comprehend. And her insulting the team for how much money they won got old after the first time she did it.

cineman 04-17-01 08:51 AM

It was okay. I think it will be better once more money is at stake. $73,000, while a good chunk of change, isn't $1,000,000. I think the more money involved, the more cutthroat it will get.