Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need the 411 on integrated Soundcards

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need the 411 on integrated Soundcards

Old 03-21-01, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are they bad? I know to stay away from integrated videocards but what about soundcards?
The MB I'm going to get is the Asus CUV4X and it has an onboard soundcard...I think its called AC97 by Cirrus Logic.

I will be playing games but I'm not going to be listening in surround sound or anything like that. I'm just going to be listening in stereo using my Yamaha computer speakers.
Will I need to upgrade in my case then?
Will I hear any benefits from upgrading separate card like the SoundBlaster 128?
Old 03-22-01, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the sound is ok. i prefer the sb live and 4 speakers or the new 5.1. but if you do not need that then it will work fine.
Old 03-22-01, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My motherboard has integrated AC97 sound, and it's perfectly acceptable. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference from a "proper" soundcard if you're just listening through cheap stereo speakers.
Old 03-22-01, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, computer speakers generally suck, so you won't notice any difference in sound quality with a cheaper sound card (if there even is a difference). The only thing you lose is 3D environmental effects that come with a LIVE! card. They are actually pretty cool if done right.
Old 03-25-01, 12:55 AM

Try it out first. Later you can always disable the on-board sound via the BIOS and add a soundcard. When you make the jump, I would go for something like the SB Live! rather than the SB128 though; especially if you're a gamer, play CDs/MP3s, or upgrade your speakers.