Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

2 Questions on Radeons: AIW or VE or 64MB??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

2 Questions on Radeons: AIW or VE or 64MB??

Old 03-19-01, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) How does the AIW dolby s/pdif output work? I mean do I need to get a 5.1 card like sounblaster? It is just a pass through not an encoder? If I do how do I hook the two together?

2) I am looking at my machine and thinking now that I have tried to output to the tv and have not gotten good performance ie the dvd playback is not as good as a stand alone. I was thinking about dumping the AIW for the radeon VE. Will the VE perform as well as the AIW with HACK and is the TV output as good as the AIW?? Maybe the 64MB Radeon. Is the 64 that much better than the other 2??
Old 03-19-01, 08:07 AM

^^^^
Old 03-19-01, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt you will notice any difference in moving from the AIW to VE. the 64 MB will make a difference in games not output of dvd's.

Old 03-20-01, 03:28 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you checked...

Have you checked out ATI's website for more information on how the Dolby s/pdif output/ throughput works on your AIW Radeon? I personally have no idea...

And what do you want your video card to do for you? DVD? Gaming? TV output? I think there are subtle but noticeable differences in each card (AIW, VE, 64MB Radeon) depending on what you want to do with your computer the majority of the time.

If video-editing or TV-output is very important to you stick with the AIW. It will give you the best mileage for those kind of applications, and it will also be able to keep up when you play the occasional Death-match.

If Price is important, go with the VE. It offers the same performance as the regular Radeon, and I think it also offers dual-monitor support as well as rudimentary TV-output.

And if gaming performance is your top priority, go with a GeForce 2 Pro... Or the Radeon 64mb.

Old 03-20-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

he already has the radeon AIW card which is why i see no reason to get another card using the same technology. they have subtle differences which are not worth the expense IMHO
Old 03-20-01, 07:05 PM

The reason I was looking at a different card is the price. If I can get the le version for $80 and drop my radeon on fleabay for $200 or so hmm a $120 profit for same performance minus all the input and outputs i dont need. But is the 64MB substaimually better if so maybe I should go with that.