Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyway to recover from memory leaks without rebooting?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyway to recover from memory leaks without rebooting?

Old 03-12-01, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obviously some programs are so poorly written that they grab part of your computers memory and never let it go, even after you close the program.

Is there anyway to get this memory back without rebooting altogether? It's irritating to reboot every day.
Old 03-12-01, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
memturbo is a great program for this.
http://softseek.zdnet.com/Utilities/...902_index.html

I am sure that cnet probably has a bunch of software that does this also
Old 03-12-01, 09:57 PM

Well, I have been having problems lately with my computer giving me 'out of memory' errors. I have not yet figured out the cause of the problems, but I have found that a freeware program called RAMBooster is useful in recovering some memory. It forces your system to write some data to the swap file and then frees up your physical memory.

You can read users input and download the program here:

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...st-7-1.1400043

By the way, RAMBooster has 1,900 user comments with 95% positive.
Old 03-12-01, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

keb,
So you are still having those problems. I guess additional ram is the best bet if nothing we suggested helped at all.
Old 03-12-01, 11:21 PM

Yes, I still am having some problems. I stripped everything that wasn't 100% necessary from the msconfig startup box and it sems to have improved quite a bit. I find with RAMBooster it delays the crash considerably. And at the very least, when I do eventually get the 'out of memory' errors, I can free up a little RAM and then I can use the Windows shutdown procedure instead of just having to press the reset button all the time.

I know RAMBooster is nothing more than a patch, but it definitely helps my situation.
Old 03-12-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by keb
Yes, I still am having some problems. I stripped everything that wasn't 100% necessary from the msconfig startup box and it sems to have improved quite a bit. I find with RAMBooster it delays the crash considerably. And at the very least, when I do eventually get the 'out of memory' errors, I can free up a little RAM and then I can use the Windows shutdown procedure instead of just having to press the reset button all the time.

I know RAMBooster is nothing more than a patch, but it definitely helps my situation.
There must be some sort of memory leak going on with one of the programs. have you tried using the Norton firewall program and not zonealarm- if you do this does this solve the problem. The reason i ask is that a friend mentioned he was having memory problems and it turns out he is running zonealarm also.

I know not exactly scientific but you never know.

He just would rather use memturbo because he likes zonealarm. I wanted him to test it for me but he is unsure since he has no other firewall program and is on a cable modem so does not want to be without any firewall to test the memory issue.

Sorry if this seems like a thread highjack- I just wanted to throw out some more suggestions at keb

[Edited by gcribbs on 03-12-01 at 09:38 PM]
Old 03-13-01, 08:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

I have some friends at school that use RamPage. I haven't tried it because it doesn't do any good for Win2K users.
Old 03-14-01, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used memturbo and that did nothing for me. I got rid of it because I got tired of it stalling my system for 20 sec at a time every half hour.
Old 03-14-01, 07:07 AM

RAMBooster only takes a couple of seconds to recover RAM on my system. I don't notice much decrease in performance at all.
Old 03-20-01, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I downloaded the RamBooster program and it works well. From the program I also dicscovered something disturbing. My CPU usage is always at 100% even just after startup, with minimal stuff running in the background. Any ideas why the CPU is always maxed?
Old 03-20-01, 01:04 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Dr_Evil
I downloaded the RamBooster program and it works well. From the program I also dicscovered something disturbing. My CPU usage is always at 100% even just after startup, with minimal stuff running in the background. Any ideas why the CPU is always maxed?
what would be the minimal stuff? not something like Rain or...? that would do it

you could test by running rambooster and then closing things down one by one and see which one dramatically drops the cpu usage

--HN
Old 03-20-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I found it's a file called Wsflr32 i go from 100% to 3% once i kill it. Any idea what this does?

[Edited by Dr_Evil on 03-20-01 at 11:52 AM]
Old 03-20-01, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nevermind i foundout what the file is. Some corporate software from the summer. Works good now, thanks for the help.